A Sustainable, Forward Thinking Protein Company
Maple Leaf Foods is a leading meat and plant-based protein company, employing over 11,500 people and publicly traded on the Toronto Stock Exchange. We are proud of our roots, which trace back well over 100 years, but our vision and purpose are decidedly forward looking. As we pursue our vision to become the most sustainable protein company on earth, we are committed to creating shared value – creative business value through addressing some of the world’s most critical social and environmental challenges. Our goal is to build a more sustainable food system, which provides nutritious affordable food, operates within planetary limits, cares for animals responsibly, and meaningfully engages with our communities to advance a more just society. We are advancing bold changes within Maple Leaf and more broadly within society to pursue our vision. We deeply believe this is the sustainable path to growth.
Our job is to make great food
Maple Leaf Foods embraces a strong values-based culture, where our people are deeply engaged in work that is purposeful, fast-paced and challenging.We cultivate an open, non-bureaucratic and inclusive workplace that fosters safety and transparency, along with individual leadership and accountability. Each Maple Leaf team member has a voice and plays an active role in helping all of us achieve our goals with passion and discipline. We support one another to grow professionally, to learn new skills and to take on challenging experiences in the spirit of continuous improvement
Raise the Good in Food
We have united behind a shared purpose – to Raise the Good in Food. This spans a dramatic transformation of our flagship Maple Leaf brand, replacing anything artificial with simple, natural ingredients; investments and process changes to reduce our environmental footprint by 50% by 2025; building a diverse and inclusive culture where all talent thrives; becoming a leader in animal care; and advancing food security through our charitable foundation, the Maple Leaf Centre for Action on Food Security.
Our Leadership Values
Eight core values guide us in everything that we do.
- Do What’s Right
- Shared Value
- High Performance
- Diverse and Inclusive Teams
- Disciplined Decision Making
- Our Accountability
- Intense Curiosity
- Transparency and Humility
The Manager, Pensions will be responsible for the overall administration of the company retirement programs and related processes across all business areas in Canada and US.
The candidate will be responsible for the delivery of our retirement programs through coaching and supporting Human Resource and payroll teams, building internal-client relationships, and the administration of current/new programs.
Reporting to the Director, Pensions, the core responsibilities of the position include, but are not limited to
A snapshot of some of the exciting things you will lead and do:
- Ensure the company retirement programs are administered in accordance with plan provisions, pension legislation, policies and procedures.
- Work closely and collaborate with internal contacts and external service providers as subject matter expert on all elements of the retirement programs.
- Identify issues and evaluate opportunities to drive efficiencies and provide an effective employee experience.
- Manage the validation and analysis of contribution remittances and data interfaces for the Canadian DB and DC pension & savings programs.
- Complete all regulatory filings and annual compliance activities.
- Prepare and manage the pension budget and related expenses.
- Provide leadership and direction to payroll, HR and external service providers.
- Support finance with the annual external audit of the company retirement programs.
- Support the development and execution of the company financial wellness strategy.
- Keep abreast of changes impacting retirement programs and administration.
- Ensure competitiveness of company pension plans through benchmarking, evaluation and cost analysis.
- Lead testing of HRIS updates/changes for pension and savings items.
- Develop and maintain SLAs, knowledge base documentation, employee booklets, educational materials, correspondence and relevant policies and guidelines.
- Other related duties and responsibilities as assigned.
What we have to offer you:
- Be part of a company with an inspiring and unique vision, with a deep commitment to sustainability and expanding its leadership in sustainable protein across North America
- Professional and career development opportunities
- Competitive Health and Wellness benefits that start on your first day of employment
- Defined Contribution Pension Plan
- Commitment to Learning – courses, resources and tools provided to all employees
- Employee Assistance Program
What you will bring:
- Strong knowledge of DB and DC pension plans as well as provincial pension legislation
- Excellent analytical and problem-solving skills with high level of accuracy and attention to detail
- Ability to analyze statistical/financial data, understand cost impact to business and develop recommendations
- Demonstrated customer service focus with ability to forge partnerships within the business and with external service providers
- Ability to work independently as well as a part of a team in a collaborative manner
- Ability to handle information with accuracy, security and confidentiality
- Exceptional organizational skills and a proven ability to work under pressure
- Strong communication and consulting skills with capability to adapt to a variety of audiences
- Demonstrated initiative and sound judgment for effective decision making
- University degree in Business Administration or related field.
- Minimum 5 - 7 years of progressive working experience with Canadian DB & DC pension programs (US 401K experience will be considered an asset)
- CEBS or PPAC designation
- Experience working in a unionized environment is preferred
- Experience with SAP/Success Factors is considered an asset
- Advance proficiency in Excel, Power Point and Microsoft Office programs as well as web-based applications
Maple Leaf Foods is committed to ensuring the health and safety of all our employees. As part of this commitment, we have adopted a number of COVID-19 safety measures, including a requirement for all employees to be fully vaccinated by March 31, 2022 and to show proof of vaccination. In keeping with this policy, successful candidates will need to provide proof of vaccination by March 31, 2022 (or prior to their first day of work if the start date is after March 31, 2022). We will of course consider accommodations for anyone unable to be vaccinated following human rights and other applicable laws
We thank all applicants for their interest in exploring employment opportunities with Maple Leaf Foods; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted. Applicants may be subject to a background check and must meet the security criteria designated for the position.
Championing diversity and inclusion is a critical component to advancing our collective purpose and vision, living the Maple Leaf Leadership Values, and delivering winning results. Accommodation is available upon request for applicants with disabilities in the recruitment and assessment process and when hired; please contact our Talent Attraction Team at firstname.lastname@example.org.