A Sustainable, Forward Thinking Protein Company
Maple Leaf Foods is a leading meat and plant-based protein company, employing over 11,500 people and publicly traded on the Toronto Stock Exchange. We are proud of our roots, which trace back well over 100 years, but our vision and purpose are decidedly forward looking. As we pursue our vision to become the most sustainable protein company on earth, we are committed to creating shared value – creative business value through addressing some of the world’s most critical social and environmental challenges. Our goal is to build a more sustainable food system, which provides nutritious affordable food, operates within planetary limits, cares for animals responsibly, and meaningfully engages with our communities to advance a more just society. We are advancing bold changes within Maple Leaf and more broadly within society to pursue our vision. We deeply believe this is the sustainable path to growth
Our job is to make great food
Maple Leaf Foods embraces a strong values-based culture, where our people are deeply engaged in work that is purposeful, fast-paced and challenging.We cultivate an open, non-bureaucratic and inclusive workplace that fosters safety and transparency, along with individual leadership and accountability. Each Maple Leaf team member has a voice and plays an active role in helping all of us achieve our goals with passion and discipline. We support one another to grow professionally, to learn new skills and to take on challenging experiences in the spirit of continuous improvement
Raise the Good in Food
We have united behind a shared purpose – to Raise the Good in Food. This spans a dramatic transformation of our flagship Maple Leaf brand, replacing anything artificial with simple, natural ingredients; investments and process changes to reduce our environmental footprint by 50% by 2025; building a diverse and inclusive culture where all talent thrives; becoming a leader in animal care; and advancing food security through our charitable foundation, the Maple Leaf Centre for Action on Food Security.
Our Leadership Values
Eight core values guide us in everything that we do.
- Do What’s Right
- Shared Value
- High Performance
- Diverse and Inclusive Teams
- Disciplined Decision Making
- Our Accountability
- Intense Curiosity
- Transparency and Humility
This position is accountable for supervising the corporately owned farms. The Senior Supervisor ensures all facilities produce the allocations related to MLF quota holdings while providing quality, saleable eggs and chicks. Providing leadership and technical service and support, the Senior Supervisor is charged to ensure all of the Farm Team operates in an environment that is in compliance with animal husbandry and welfare practices, quality, health & safety, marketing board and human resource standards. Short and long term planning for flock management, capital investment, budget development and ownership, human resource planning and facility maintenance are all necessary to effectively and profitability achieve results.
A snapshot of some of the exciting things you will lead and do:
- Accountable for the adherence to all breeder programs.
- Effective employee management and administration at owned farm locations including hiring, training, development and discipline. Maintain and build a productive and positive employee relations environment through effective implementation of positive employee relations initiatives.
- Ensure all companies rules and regulations are adhered too including Health and Safety and Animal Welfare policies as well as maintains compliance with CFIA, Ministry of Labour, Ministry of Environment, Ministry of Transportation, Marketing Boards, and other legislative bodies impacting the breeder industry.
- Development and management of fiscal budgets.
- Planning and development of capital projects – CER implementation.
- Development and implementation of maintenance programs.
- Provide building and equipment direction to owned farms and contracted breeder growers on Maple Leaf standards.
- Development and maintenance of Standard Operating Procedures for Farms
- Liaison with Hanover Lab for bird health and quality programs
- Liaison with Hatchery regarding egg and chick quality programs
- Communication with production coordinator at hatcheries regarding flock performance for egg supply.
- Responsible for evaluation and implementation of management techniques and emerging technologies that improve field performance through contact with primary breeder companies and other industry organizations to understand flock management recommendations based on breed and product advancements
- Using the national Hatching Egg Producer quality program (CHEQ) provide Environmental Management recommendations in regard to ventilation, water treatment, lighting, litter management and pest control.
- Responsible to submit any documents requirements for to meet OBHECC, primary breeder and OHSFP requirements.
- Knowledge, understanding and application of Ontario & National Supply Managed system regulations.
- Ensure owned farms comply with OBHECC regulations and CHEQ program
- Communication and contact with the Animal Health Lab and Ontario Supply Flock Policy programs.
What we have to offer you:
- Be part of a company with an inspiring and unique vision, with a deep commitment to sustainability and expanding its leadership in sustainable protein across North America
- Professional and career development opportunities
- Competitive Health and Wellness benefits that start on your first day of employment
- Defined Contribution Pension Plan
- Commitment to Learning – courses, resources and tools provided to all employees
- Employee Assistance Program
What you will bring:
The successful candidate will be results-oriented, thrive in a fast paced, demanding environment, and have the ability to develop positive working relationships with associates and employees. Candidates must have:
- Post-secondary education, preferably in agricultural science or business management
- 5-10 years of poultry experience; broiler breeder, supply managed commodity experience an asset
- 5-7 years’ experience in a management role
- Strong verbal and written communication skills including Microsoft Excel, WORD, PowerPoint knowledge
- Excellent interpersonal and influencing skills
- Strong analytical and reporting skill set
- Ability to drive continuous improvement
- Proven decision making ability using various analytical tools (SWOT analysis, Six Sigma metrics, etc.)
Maple Leaf Foods is committed to ensuring the health and safety of all our employees. As part of this commitment, we have adopted a number of COVID-19 safety measures, including a requirement for all employees to be fully vaccinated by March 31, 2022 and to show proof of vaccination. In keeping with this policy, successful candidates will need to provide proof of vaccination by March 31, 2022 (or prior to their first day of work if the start date is after March 31, 2022). We will of course consider accommodations for anyone unable to be vaccinated following human rights and other applicable laws
We thank all applicants for their interest in exploring employment opportunities with Maple Leaf Foods; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted. Applicants may be subject to a background check and must meet the security criteria designated for the position.
Championing diversity and inclusion is a critical component to advancing our collective purpose and vision, living the Maple Leaf Leadership Values, and delivering winning results. Accommodation is available upon request for applicants with disabilities in the recruitment and assessment process and when hired; please contact our Talent Attraction Team at email@example.com.