A Sustainable, Forward Thinking Protein Company
Maple Leaf Foods is a leading meat and plant-based protein company, employing over 11,500 people and publicly traded on the Toronto Stock Exchange. We are proud of our roots, which trace back well over 100 years, but our vision and purpose are decidedly forward looking. As we pursue our vision to become the most sustainable protein company on earth, we are committed to creating shared value – creative business value through addressing some of the world’s most critical social and environmental challenges. Our goal is to build a more sustainable food system, which provides nutritious affordable food, operates within planetary limits, cares for animals responsibly, and meaningfully engages with our communities to advance a more just society. We are advancing bold changes within Maple Leaf and more broadly within society to pursue our vision. We deeply believe this is the sustainable path to growth.
Our job is to make great food
Maple Leaf Foods embraces a strong values-based culture, where our people are deeply engaged in work that is purposeful, fast-paced and challenging.We cultivate an open, non-bureaucratic and inclusive workplace that fosters safety and transparency, along with individual leadership and accountability. Each Maple Leaf team member has a voice and plays an active role in helping all of us achieve our goals with passion and discipline. We support one another to grow professionally, to learn new skills and to take on challenging experiences in the spirit of continuous improvement
Raise the Good in Food
We have united behind a shared purpose – to Raise the Good in Food. This spans a dramatic transformation of our flagship Maple Leaf brand, replacing anything artificial with simple, natural ingredients; investments and process changes to reduce our environmental footprint by 50% by 2025; building a diverse and inclusive culture where all talent thrives; becoming a leader in animal care; and advancing food security through our charitable foundation, the Maple Leaf Centre for Action on Food Security.
Our Leadership Values
Eight core values guide us in everything that we do.
- Do What’s Right
- Shared Value
- High Performance
- Diverse and Inclusive Teams
- Disciplined Decision Making
- Our Accountability
- Intense Curiosity
- Transparency and Humility
Reporting to the Global Director, Asset Management and Reliability, this position is within the Asset Reliability Group (ARG). The ARG sets strategy and direction for reliability, asset management, and maintenance for all Maple Leaf Foods manufacturing facilities (network of 25+ sites), and precisely executes on a roadmap to move the Asset Reliability (AR) maturity toward world class.
This position is responsible for providing technical, strategic and analytical leadership to operationalize the AR strategy and roadmap across the Maple Leaf Network. The role focuses on improving site reliability through Reliability Centered Maintenance (RCM) and lifecycle management, transformation through modernization and automation, and sustainability through condition monitoring and predictive maintenance; all of which to reduce downtime, increase throughput, eliminate health & food safety risks, minimize carbon footprint, and maximize the asset lifecycle. This position has a high degree of visibility, where focus and attention on the “voice of the customer” is key for success. This position requires frequent interactions, presentation and direct engagement with Maintenance Managers, Plant Managers/Site Leaders, and members of the senior management forum (VP’s) in cross-functional groups (information solutions (IS), food safety, finance, engineering, sustainability and operations excellence, procurement) to advance the AR strategy towards achieving the AR Bold Goal.
A snapshot of some of the exciting things you will lead and do:
- Serve as a subject matter expert in identifying risks and costs to equipment reliability using statistical methods and KPIs; develop action plans for mitigating risk to uptime, costs, and customer fill-rate using RCM and other techniques.
- Develop asset strategies for common and critical assets in collaboration with cross-functional teams
- Implement Condition Monitoring & Predictive Maintenance across the network in collaboration with IS, Engineering, and OEMs
- Establish the requirements and process for asset lifecycle management, from design to decommissioning
- Develop and deploy asset health and condition indexing for long-term asset investment and capital expenditure planning
- Using analytics, identify/address opportunities for reliability improvements, cost optimization and asset lifecycle maximization.
- Monitor and maintain AR systems and analytical tools; identify and address chronic problems
- Enhance or develop work management processes using CMMS functions, developing standards, SOPs, guides, and training
- Improve and sustain the integrity and quality of AR data by implementing network-wide standards and KPIs
- Perform benchmarking and gap analysis to define opportunities for moving network AR maturity towards world-class
- Attend industry events and conferences to keep AR strategy in tune with leading technologies and processes
- Coach plant teams and facilitate failure mode and effect analysis (FMEA), root cause failure elimination (RCFE), and preventive maintenance optimization (PMO)
- Establish processes for spares planning; identify opportunities to eliminate and prevent excess inventory
- Provide change management and training to all applicable personnel for plant reliability practices and maintenance techniques
- Provide reliability due diligence inputs to new builds, mergers, acquisitions and divestitures
- Other related maintenance and reliability problems and improvement opportunities activities, as assigned
What we have to offer you:
- Be part of a company with an inspiring and unique vision, with a deep commitment to sustainability and expanding its leadership in sustainable protein across North America
- Professional and career development opportunities
- Competitive Health and Wellness benefits that start on your first day of employment
- Defined Contribution Pension Plan
- Commitment to Learning – courses, resources and tools provided to all employees
- Employee Assistance Program
What you will bring:
- University degree
- Professional Engineering Association Membership (P.Eng.) and/or MBA preferred
- Preference given to RCM certified practitioners and is highly desired
- PMP is highly desirable
- Extensive experience in reliability, maintenance, and asset lifecycle management (10+ years)
- Extensive experience in information technology, databases, reporting, analytical platforms, BI tools, relational databases, CMMS
- Experience in people leadership and managing salaried professional staff as direct reports
- Experience in managing strategic projects with network/system level impact
- Experience in client facing or site support roles including technical consulting
- Experience in manufacturing or industrial environment
- Continuous improvement mindset, critical thinker, challenging the status quo
- Creative thinking, entrepreneurial spirit and can-do attitude
- Proven capability to provide technical leadership to business and operations
- Self-starter, high energy, customer oriented, with superb communication/interpersonal skills at all levels
- Highly results oriented, extremely organized, and capable of working independently while managing multiple priorities
- Must be highly adaptable to constant change and comfortable in a very fast-paced environment
- Knowledge of GMPs, food safety development and health & safety requirements
- Knowledge of contract development and execution
Maple Leaf Foods is committed to ensuring the health and safety of all our employees. As part of this commitment, we have adopted a number of COVID-19 safety measures, including a requirement for all employees to be fully vaccinated by March 31, 2022 and to show proof of vaccination. In keeping with this policy, successful candidates will need to provide proof of vaccination by March 31, 2022 (or prior to their first day of work if the start date is after March 31, 2022). We will of course consider accommodations for anyone unable to be vaccinated following human rights and other applicable laws
We thank all applicants for their interest in exploring employment opportunities with Maple Leaf Foods; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted. Applicants may be subject to a background check and must meet the security criteria designated for the position.
Championing diversity and inclusion is a critical component to advancing our collective purpose and vision, living the Maple Leaf Leadership Values, and delivering winning results. Accommodation is available upon request for applicants with disabilities in the recruitment and assessment process and when hired; please contact our Talent Attraction Team at firstname.lastname@example.org.