A Sustainable, Forward Thinking Protein Company
Maple Leaf Foods is a leading meat and plant-based protein company, employing over 11,500 people and publicly traded on the Toronto Stock Exchange. We are proud of our roots, which trace back well over 100 years, but our vision and purpose are decidedly forward looking. As we pursue our vision to become the most sustainable protein company on earth, we are committed to creating shared value – creative business value through addressing some of the world’s most critical social and environmental challenges. Our goal is to build a more sustainable food system, which provides nutritious affordable food, operates within planetary limits, cares for animals responsibly, and meaningfully engages with our communities to advance a more just society. We are advancing bold changes within Maple Leaf and more broadly within society to pursue our vision. We deeply believe this is the sustainable path to growth
Our job is to make great food
Maple Leaf Foods embraces a strong values-based culture, where our people are deeply engaged in work that is purposeful, fast-paced and challenging.We cultivate an open, non-bureaucratic and inclusive workplace that fosters safety and transparency, along with individual leadership and accountability. Each Maple Leaf team member has a voice and plays an active role in helping all of us achieve our goals with passion and discipline. We support one another to grow professionally, to learn new skills and to take on challenging experiences in the spirit of continuous improvement
Raise the Good in Food
We have united behind a shared purpose – to Raise the Good in Food. This spans a dramatic transformation of our flagship Maple Leaf brand, replacing anything artificial with simple, natural ingredients; investments and process changes to reduce our environmental footprint by 50% by 2025; building a diverse and inclusive culture where all talent thrives; becoming a leader in animal care; and advancing food security through our charitable foundation, the Maple Leaf Centre for Action on Food Security.
Our Leadership Values
Eight core values guide us in everything that we do.
- Do What’s Right
- Shared Value
- High Performance
- Diverse and Inclusive Teams
- Disciplined Decision Making
- Our Accountability
- Intense Curiosity
- Transparency and Humility
As the leader of the FSQA team, the FSQA Manager is accountable for the execution of the Food Safety and Quality Assurance programs at the facility. The Manager is a key member of the facility management team and is responsible for driving continuous improvement in a faced paced and demanding environment. Additionally, the Manager will establish and maintain positive relationships with regulatory bodies. This role provides a career development/growth opportunity.
A snapshot of some of the exciting things you will lead and do:
- Ensure effective execution of all FSQA programs to meet corporate and customer food safety strategy & quality standards as well as all regulatory requirements (CFIA, Health Canada, USDA, FDA, etc.).
- Lead internal and external audits (BRC, customers, CFIA, etc.).
- Using fact-based analysis, provide recommendations to improve the facility quality systems.
- Lead, coach and develop QA team.
- In conjunction with facility leadership, drive the organizations FS culture.
- Recommend and implement process improvements within the facility and the department.
- Accountable for hold and release activities related to pathogens test programs, non-conformance situations, etc.
- Ensure timely resolution of necessary corrective action items associated with all audits or CFIA concerns.
- Facility FS lead during product launches utilizing product development process (PDP) FS risk assessment.
- Build and advance relationships with CFIA and other external organizations.
- Support or lead change management activities related to processes, programs and/or systems.
- Lead facility activities during any potential product recalls.
- Actively participate in facility leadership meetings.
- Other responsibilities as required.
What we have to offer you:
- Be part of a company with an inspiring and unique vision, with a deep commitment to sustainability and expanding its leadership in sustainable protein across North America
- Professional and career development opportunities
- Competitive Health and Wellness benefits that start on your first day of employment
- Defined Contribution Pension Plan
- Commitment to Learning – courses, resources and tools provided to all employees
- Employee Assistance Program
What you will bring:
- University degree or college diploma preferably in Chemistry, Microbiology, Food Science or a related discipline.
- Minimum 5 years of experience leading a high performing team in a food manufacturing facility.
- Ability to leverage exceptional interpersonal, communication to develop productive internal and external relationships.
- Proven ability to influence stakeholders to achieve desired results.
- Energetic and positive leadership style.
- Excellent observation and problem-solving skills.
- Proven ability to coach for high performance.
- Strong systems skills (including MS Office).
- Ability to work effectively on a cross functional leadership team.
- Experience thriving in an ever-changing, fast-paced environment.
- Demonstrated alignment to the Maple Leaf Leadership Values.
Maple Leaf Foods is committed to ensuring the health and safety of all our employees. As part of this commitment, we have adopted a number of COVID-19 safety measures, including a requirement for all employees to be fully vaccinated by March 31, 2022 and to show proof of vaccination. In keeping with this policy, successful candidates will need to provide proof of vaccination by March 31, 2022 (or prior to their first day of work if the start date is after March 31, 2022). We will of course consider accommodations for anyone unable to be vaccinated following human rights and other applicable laws
We thank all applicants for their interest in exploring employment opportunities with Maple Leaf Foods; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted. Applicants may be subject to a background check and must meet the security criteria designated for the position.
Championing diversity and inclusion is a critical component to advancing our collective purpose and vision, living the Maple Leaf Leadership Values, and delivering winning results. Accommodation is available upon request for applicants with disabilities in the recruitment and assessment process and when hired; please contact our Talent Attraction Team at email@example.com.