A Sustainable, Forward Thinking Protein Company
Maple Leaf Foods is a leading meat and plant-based protein company, employing over 11,500 people and publicly traded on the Toronto Stock Exchange. We are proud of our roots, which trace back well over 100 years, but our vision and purpose are decidedly forward looking. As we pursue our vision to become the most sustainable protein company on earth, we are committed to creating shared value – creative business value through addressing some of the world’s most critical social and environmental challenges. Our goal is to build a more sustainable food system, which provides nutritious affordable food, operates within planetary limits, cares for animals responsibly, and meaningfully engages with our communities to advance a more just society. We are advancing bold changes within Maple Leaf and more broadly within society to pursue our vision. We deeply believe this is the sustainable path to growth.
Our job is to make great food
Maple Leaf Foods embraces a strong values-based culture, where our people are deeply engaged in work that is purposeful, fast-paced and challenging.We cultivate an open, non-bureaucratic and inclusive workplace that fosters safety and transparency, along with individual leadership and accountability. Each Maple Leaf team member has a voice and plays an active role in helping all of us achieve our goals with passion and discipline. We support one another to grow professionally, to learn new skills and to take on challenging experiences in the spirit of continuous improvement
Raise the Good in Food
We have united behind a shared purpose – to Raise the Good in Food. This spans a dramatic transformation of our flagship Maple Leaf brand, replacing anything artificial with simple, natural ingredients; investments and process changes to reduce our environmental footprint by 50% by 2025; building a diverse and inclusive culture where all talent thrives; becoming a leader in animal care; and advancing food security through our charitable foundation, the Maple Leaf Centre for Action on Food Security.
Our Leadership Values
Eight core values guide us in everything that we do.
- Do What’s Right
- Shared Value
- High Performance
- Diverse and Inclusive Teams
- Disciplined Decision Making
- Our Accountability
- Intense Curiosity
- Transparency and Humility
The Electrician will be responsible for effective troubleshooting, repair, installation, and preventative maintenance of facility electrical distribution systems and equipment in an industrial setting. They will ensure safe plant operations and a safe working environment for all employees. They will also be responsible for mechanical set up, inspection, troubleshooting, repair, shut down of all equipment and preventative maintenance.
A snapshot of some of the exciting things you will lead and do:
- Read and interpret drawings, blueprints, schematics, and code specifications to determine lay-out of industrial equipment and installations
- Conduct planned preventive & predictive maintenance and keep maintenance records.
- Actively participate in preventive maintenance program on building equipment processing equipment daily.
- Efficient production equipment set up, inspection and shutdown of all related equipment when required, including process changeovers.
- Recommend and implement corrective action and required repairs.
- Assist in planning, organizing of work activities (drawing interpretation, parts preparation).
- Program, troubleshoot, maintain and repair industrial equipment and automation including PLCs, HMI, frequency drives, temperature control and other related devices.
- Minimize production downtime by responding to production calls promptly.
- Lead troubleshooting and repairs of production equipment in a safe, food safe and timely manner.
- Responsible for repairing and/or replacing machine parts.
- Responsible for housekeeping and cleaning maintenance shop.
- Perform repairs to building systems and processing equipment as required.
- Participate in spare parts control system and follow all department rules and regulations.
- Use of computerized maintenance management system.
- Comply with all regulations relating to equipment and chemical approvals within a food manufacturing facility.
- Maintain, repair, install and test electrical motors, switchgear transformers, distribution panels, generators, alternators, battery backup systems, metering, capacitors, regulators and reactors.
- Ensure all operations are in compliance with GMPs, HACCP, Health & Safety, WHMIS, and local electrical codes.
What we have to offer you:
- Be part of a company with an inspiring and unique vision, with a deep commitment to sustainability and expanding its leadership in sustainable protein across North America
- Employee Assistance Program
What you will bring:
- Certified Journeyman Electrician with 5+ years’ experience. Preference to those with proof of completing the Industrial Apprenticeship Program
- Knowledge of conveyors, high speed slicers, pumps / compressor, electrical / electronic controls and high-speed packaging equipment.
- Strong working knowledge of HMI's, electric motor controls, programmable logic controllers, basic wiring circuits and skills necessary to safely test common electrical systems and make minor repairs where permitted.
- Ability to organize and plan daily tasks with minimal supervision.
- Ability to work in a team-based environment.
- Knowledge of HACCP, Food Safety
- Plant environment (ambient and refrigerated)
- This position is for Day Shift – hours TBD
- A fast-paced work environment with multiple, tight and changing priorities
- Production efficiency focused and urgency to reduce downtime
Maple Leaf Foods is committed to ensuring the health and safety of all our employees. As part of this commitment, we have adopted a number of COVID-19 safety measures, including a requirement for all employees to be fully vaccinated by March 31, 2022 and to show proof of vaccination. In keeping with this policy, successful candidates will need to provide proof of vaccination by March 31, 2022 (or prior to their first day of work if the start date is after March 31, 2022). We will of course consider accommodations for anyone unable to be vaccinated following human rights and other applicable laws
We thank all applicants for their interest in exploring employment opportunities with Maple Leaf Foods; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted. Applicants may be subject to a background check and must meet the security criteria designated for the position.
Championing diversity and inclusion is a critical component to advancing our collective purpose and vision, living the Maple Leaf Leadership Values, and delivering winning results. Accommodation is available upon request for applicants with disabilities in the recruitment and assessment process and when hired; please contact our Talent Attraction Team at email@example.com.