Payroll Coordinator - Contract
A Sustainable, Forward Thinking Protein Company
Maple Leaf Foods is a leading meat and plant-based protein company, employing over 11,500 people and publicly traded on the Toronto Stock Exchange. We are proud of our roots, which trace back well over 100 years, but our vision and purpose are decidedly forward looking. As we pursue our vision to become the most sustainable protein company on earth, we are committed to creating shared value – creative business value through addressing some of the world’s most critical social and environmental challenges. Our goal is to build a more sustainable food system, which provides nutritious affordable food, operates within planetary limits, cares for animals responsibly, and meaningfully engages with our communities to advance a more just society. We are advancing bold changes within Maple Leaf and more broadly within society to pursue our vision. We deeply believe this is the sustainable path to growth.
Our job is to make great food
Maple Leaf Foods embraces a strong values-based culture, where our people are deeply engaged in work that is purposeful, fast-paced and challenging. We cultivate an open, non-bureaucratic and inclusive workplace that fosters safety and transparency, along with individual leadership and accountability. Each Maple Leaf team member has a voice and plays an active role in helping all of us achieve our goals with passion and discipline. We support one another to grow professionally, to learn new skills and to take on challenging experiences in the spirit of continuous improvement.
Raise the Good in Food
We have united behind a shared purpose – to Raise the Good in Food. This spans a dramatic transformation of our flagship Maple Leaf brand, replacing anything artificial with simple, natural ingredients; investments and process changes to reduce our environmental footprint by 50% by 2025; building a diverse and inclusive culture where all talent thrives; becoming a leader in animal care; and advancing food security through our charitable foundation, the Maple Leaf Centre for Action on Food Security.
Our Leadership Values
Eight core values guide us in everything that we do.
- Do What’s Right
- Shared Value
- High Performance
- Diverse and Inclusive Teams
- Disciplined Decision Making
- Our Accountability
- Intense Curiosity
- Transparency and Humility
The Payroll Coordinator is responsible for ensuring all regulatory and non-regulatory remittances are made in a timely matter. The successful candidate will have demonstrated a strong knowledge of payroll concepts, processes and legislation in Canadian payroll, a problem-solving attitude, strong communications skills and a high level of attention to detail. These tasks will be completed while ensuring compliance with Corporate Policies, Collective Agreements and Legislative requirements in Canada while consistently maintaining the highest level of confidentiality.
A snapshot of some of the exciting things you will lead and do:
- Reconcile and remit all Regulatory remittances in a timely fashion.
- Balance and remit all benefit and union dues in accordance to Collective Bargaining Agreements and policies.
- Run Ad Hoc reports as required to meet the business needs
- Reconcile payroll general ledger accounts
- Prepare and run all reports associated with our headcount and labour for management reporting.
- Create, update and maintain standard documentation for desktop procedures, task lists and SOPS.
- Identify opportunities and recommend enhancements to processes/procedures and policies where applicable; teaming with the stakeholders for development and implementation strategies.
- Key liaison between payroll and internal and external customers for all financial inquiries.
- Key member for all weekly, monthly and year end activities.
- Audits within the department whether internal or external.
- Programming changes as required due to CBA changes or policy for benefits and earnings on payroll system.
- Payroll back up and support to team members as required
- All other duties as assigned.
What we have to offer you:
- Be part of a company with an inspiring and unique vision, with a deep commitment to sustainability and expanding its leadership in sustainable protein across North America
- Competitive Health and Wellness benefits that start on your first day of employment
- Commitment to Learning – courses, resources and tools provided to all employees
- Employee Assistance Program
What you will bring:
We thank all applicants for their interest in exploring employment opportunities with Maple Leaf Foods however only those selected for an interview will be contacted. Applicants may be subject to a background check and must meet the security criteria designated for the position.
- 3-5 years payroll experience in Canadian payroll processing which includes; exposure to accounting procedures, multiple Union Contracts and provinces/states within Canada and the US, and processing payrolls in excess of 10,000.
- Extensive knowledge of Canadian payroll administration practices and related government reporting requirements in a union and non-union environment.
- In depth knowledge of Canadian taxable benefits/pension administration practices.
- Experience in a related field such as finance, accounting or business with effective accounting skills.
- Experience with SAP HR/Finance, ADP Workforce Now, ADP Reporting tool and Kronos Workforce Now.
- Completed or working towards the following designations; PCP, CPM, APA or CPA.
- Must be able to handle confidential information in an ethical and professional manner
- Strong interpersonal/communication skills required; ability to deal with inquiries tactfully from all levels of the organization and external agencies.
- Strong business acumen with an interest in improving processes and creating efficiencies.
- Strong organizational, analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Demonstrated ability to multitask and able to work in a fast-paced environment both independently and as part of a team.
- Demonstrated coaching/mentoring skills and issue management problem solving skills within a fast-paced environment.
- Deadline and solutions oriented and proactive with a proven track record.
- Advanced MS Excel skills and working knowledge of MS Word and Outlook required.
Maple Leaf Foods is committed to Employment Equity and maintaining a diverse workforce. Job applicants with a disability who require reasonable accommodation for any part of the application or hiring process can contact our Talent Attraction Team at firstname.lastname@example.org. Reasonable accommodations will be determined on a case-by-case basis and your request will be responded to as soon as possible.