Packaging Engineering Specialist
A Sustainable, Forward Thinking Protein Company
Maple Leaf Foods is a leading meat and plant-based protein company, employing over 11,500 people and publicly traded on the Toronto Stock Exchange. We are proud of our roots, which trace back well over 100 years, but our vision and purpose are decidedly forward looking. As we pursue our vision to become the most sustainable protein company on earth, we are committed to creating shared value – creative business value through addressing some of the world’s most critical social and environmental challenges. Our goal is to build a more sustainable food system, which provides nutritious affordable food, operates within planetary limits, cares for animals responsibly, and meaningfully engages with our communities to advance a more just society. We are advancing bold changes within Maple Leaf and more broadly within society to pursue our vision. We deeply believe this is the sustainable path to growth.
Our job is to make great food
Maple Leaf Foods embraces a strong values-based culture, where our people are deeply engaged in work that is purposeful, fast-paced and challenging. We cultivate an open, non-bureaucratic and inclusive workplace that fosters safety and transparency, along with individual leadership and accountability. Each Maple Leaf team member has a voice and plays an active role in helping all of us achieve our goals with passion and discipline. We support one another to grow professionally, to learn new skills and to take on challenging experiences in the spirit of continuous improvement.
Raise the Good in Food
We have united behind a shared purpose – to Raise the Good in Food. This spans a dramatic transformation of our flagship Maple Leaf brand, replacing anything artificial with simple, natural ingredients; investments and process changes to reduce our environmental footprint by 50% by 2025; building a diverse and inclusive culture where all talent thrives; becoming a leader in animal care; and advancing food security through our charitable foundation, the Maple Leaf Centre for Action on Food Security.
Our Leadership Values
Eight core values guide us in everything that we do.
- Do What’s Right
- Shared Value
- High Performance
- Diverse and Inclusive Teams
- Disciplined Decision Making
- Our Accountability
- Intense Curiosity
- Transparency and Humility
As a key member of the Packaging Technology team, the Packaging Engineering Specialist will support a number of packaging projects, working closely with teams from other business functions to deliver material and pack specifications that meet the manufacturing agenda. This professional will work with a variety of stakeholders to develop, deliver and optimize packaging solutions
ensuring the ongoing optimum performance of packaging in the manufacturing environment.
A snapshot of some of the exciting things you will lead and do:
- Works cross functionally to ensure alignment of the cross-functional team
- Supports new pack technology and format changes and looks for the best solutions for new equipment and processes
- Manage and conduct packaging and machine trials, transit tests at plants to validate product life cycle including storage/handling/distribution
- Partner with teams to ensure optimal packaging performance on our production lines
- Builds and maintains good working relationships across functions and stakeholders, also with incumbent and new packaging suppliers in the development and execution of packaging projects
- Build an ongoing process to reduce overall packaging and support sustainability
- Develop packaging specifications for new packaging formats
- Develop packaging solutions to meet the Commercial agenda and Manufacturing requirements against the agreed timelines and to drive performance
- Ensures quality and safety standards are met and that materials are evaluated for compliance and applicable legislation with pre-requisites as defined
- Pursuing Packaging Sustainability Initiatives and the push to reduce, re-use and go green
- Document and report packaging trials and achievements
- Participate as core member of cross-functional teams and provide packaging recommendations and technical expertise to the Business Units
- Good working partnerships with Packaging material Suppliers; ability to get quick response; right first time
- Develop and maintain material specifications in SAP against timelines agreed; ensures data is accurate to allow workflows to be accurately and quickly completed
What we have to offer you:
- Be part of a company with an inspiring and unique vision, with a deep commitment to sustainability and expanding its leadership in sustainable protein across North America
- Competitive Health and Wellness benefits that start on your first day of employment
- Commitment to Learning – courses, resources and tools provided to all employees
- Employee Assistance Program
What you will bring:
We thank all applicants for their interest in exploring employment opportunities with Maple Leaf Foods however only those selected for an interview will be contacted. Applicants may be subject to a background check and must meet the security criteria designated for the position.
- Diploma/Degree level qualification in Packaging Engineering / Science / Technology, or equivalent experience
- Minimum 2 years’ experience in Food Packaging or any consumer goods Packaging Development Technology.
- Proven track record of delivering and driving projects
- Good knowledge of packaging manufacture and methods, packaging material use and the machine interface
- Knowledge of legislation and environmental aspects relating to food industry packaging standards
- Strong Microsoft office (Excel, Word, PowerPoint & MS Project) knowledge
- SAP knowledge / experience an advantage
- Good diagnostic skills, the ability to assimilate information quickly and aptitude for problem solving
- Highly motivated individual with good influencing skills
- Collaborative style with excellent communication skills
- Strong project management skills - excellent ability to plan, organize and prioritize activity
- Ability and willingness to travel 25% of the time.
- Valid driver’s license and a car available
Maple Leaf Foods is committed to Employment Equity and maintaining a diverse workforce. Job applicants with a disability who require reasonable accommodation for any part of the application or hiring process can contact our Talent Attraction Team at email@example.com. Reasonable accommodations will be determined on a case-by-case basis and your request will be responded to as soon as possible.