Director, OES-Six Sigma Coaching Lead
A Sustainable, Forward Thinking Protein Company
Maple Leaf Foods is a leading meat and plant-based protein company, employing over 11,500 people and publicly traded on the Toronto Stock Exchange. We are proud of our roots, which trace back well over 100 years, but our vision and purpose are decidedly forward looking. As we pursue our vision to become the most sustainable protein company on earth, we are committed to creating shared value – creative business value through addressing some of the world’s most critical social and environmental challenges. Our goal is to build a more sustainable food system, which provides nutritious affordable food, operates within planetary limits, cares for animals responsibly, and meaningfully engages with our communities to advance a more just society. We are advancing bold changes within Maple Leaf and more broadly within society to pursue our vision. We deeply believe this is the sustainable path to growth.
Our job is to make great food
Maple Leaf Foods embraces a strong values-based culture, where our people are deeply engaged in work that is purposeful, fast-paced and challenging. We cultivate an open, non-bureaucratic and inclusive workplace that fosters safety and transparency, along with individual leadership and accountability. Each Maple Leaf team member has a voice and plays an active role in helping all of us achieve our goals with passion and discipline. We support one another to grow professionally, to learn new skills and to take on challenging experiences in the spirit of continuous improvement.
Raise the Good in Food
We have united behind a shared purpose – to Raise the Good in Food. This spans a dramatic transformation of our flagship Maple Leaf brand, replacing anything artificial with simple, natural ingredients; investments and process changes to reduce our environmental footprint by 50% by 2025; building a diverse and inclusive culture where all talent thrives; becoming a leader in animal care; and advancing food security through our charitable foundation, the Maple Leaf Centre for Action on Food Security.
Our Leadership Values
Eight core values guide us in everything that we do.
- Do What’s Right
- Shared Value
- High Performance
- Diverse and Inclusive Teams
- Disciplined Decision Making
- Our Accountability
- Intense Curiosity
- Transparency and Humility
The Director, OES-Six Sigma Coaching Lead, role is responsible for leading the Six Sigma Coaching team and Operations Excellence System (OES) deployment. This person also has responsibilities for Six Sigma support of strategic projects across Maple Leaf Foods (MLF). This role has overall accountability to partner with the OES-Six Sigma and the Operations Leadership teams, to address Critical Business Priorities and associated action plans ensuring the use of Six Sigma-Lean methodology and rigor, Operations Excellence and Lean Manufacturing tools to drive continuous improvement. As Leader of the coaching team, this person provides coaching support to all OES-Six Sigma Directors, Black Belts and employees across the network and is a key member part of the Six Sigma Leadership team responsible for Black Belt certification.
EMBODYING CULTURE AND VALUES:
Six Sigma is foundational to our culture of discipline. It is how Maple Leaf Foods improves business processes and drives performance. It is the way we solve problems and implement significant change. Continuous Improvement Leaders provide the methods and tools to enable the business to improve processes and solve complex problems using analytics. The person in this role is expected to have a significant understanding of Six Sigma-Lean tools and methodology, process management principles and process improvement methods, including Operations Excellence (Lean Manufacturing). This role is recognized as an opportunity to develop our next OES-Six Sigma leaders and Operations Leaders across MLF.
A snapshot of some of the exciting things you will lead and do:
- Head of OES-Six Sigma Coaching group, driving business results by providing a broad perspective on the practical application of OES-Six Sigma and delivering accelerated learning opportunities to both the Six Sigma Community and all employees.
- As a member of the Six Sigma Leadership group, work closely with this group and functional leaders, to ensure successful deployment of OES-Six Sigma, Lean and Operations Excellence System and to shape the Continuous Improvement strategies.
- Identify, Coach and develop the next generation of Coaches in the organization.
- Create, lead or significantly contribute to formal training programs for a wide range of audiences, including Black Belt, Green Belt, White Belt and Employee Engagement training.
- Expertise in Six Sigma and Lean tools and methods (including Kaizens), on both technical and Change Management.
- Assist OES-Six Sigma and Operations Leadership team with the identification and quantification of Critical Business Needs and primary opportunities for improvement. Engage in areas of highest business need.
- Coaches OES-Six Sigma Coaches and Black Belts across the network on use of Six Sigma, Operations Excellence and Lean methodologies. Ensure cross-functional teams are utilizing the appropriate improvement methodology (Six Sigma, Lean, OpEx tools) including training on tools, application support as required and coaching Operations Leaders in their application, building capability with broader site teams.
- Assess, design and execute training and development initiatives required to certify future Black Belts.
- Gatekeeper of our Six Sigma methodology and owner of the Six Sigma Wave Training modules as the primary development training for new Black Belts.
- Leadership role in Governance rhythms.
- Supports CI progress across the MLF Network.
- Responsible for supporting VP, OES-Six Sigma Learning and Directors, OES-Six Sigma in annual overhead budgeting requirements.
What we have to offer you:
- Be part of a company with an inspiring and unique vision, with a deep commitment to sustainability and expanding its leadership in sustainable protein across North America
- Professional and career development opportunities, supported by our commitment to talent development through our partnership with the Ivey School of Business.
- Competitive Health and Wellness benefits that start on your first day of employment
- Defined Contribution Pension Plan
- Commitment to Learning – courses, resources and tools provided to all employees
- Employee Assistance Program
What you will bring:
We thank all applicants for their interest in exploring employment opportunities with Maple Leaf Foods however only those selected for an interview will be contacted. Applicants may be subject to a background check and must meet the security criteria designated for the position.
- A University degree (BSc. Engineering or Operations Management).
- Black Belt Certification or Lean Implementation Certification is a requirement.
- Significant experience in Coaching and training Six Sigma-Lean tools and methods, including Change Management, is a requirement.
- Minimum 10 years of full-time Coaching Six Sigma-Lean and direct Continuous Improvement work experience in manufacturing or supply chain, as well as commercial, finance or other transactional functions is an asset.
- Demonstrated ability to inspire teams to deliver winning results against organizational priorities.
- Track record of developing, coaching and leading teams of direct and indirect reports.
- Demonstrated ability to deliver results, taking a hands-on approach leading the team with a deep understanding of the manufacturing process at the line – equipment level and Six Sigma-Lean approach to process improvement.
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills. Demonstrates the Maple Leaf Foods Value of “getting things done in a fact-based way”. Routinely applies Six Sigma-Lean tools (Value Stream Mapping, Kaizen, 5S, Gemba, DMAIC, DMADV, PDCA) to identify and eliminate waste, reduce variability and improve performance.
- Strong ability to communicate effectively (verbal and written) with all levels of the organization, especially senior leadership.
- Demonstrated ability to effect behavioral change across the network, through influence, using Change Management methodologies.
- Has led and/or coached prior manufacturing continuous improvement projects. Considered a strong coach on continuous improvement concepts. Is able to teach the Operations team to apply core CI Lean-Six Sigma tools.
- Experience in leading complex projects that require strong leadership, initiative, and change management is a requirement.
- Demonstrated ability to implement and teach Lean Methodologies and Operational Excellence with a high degree of knowledge transfer and adoption on the part of the Operations Team.
Maple Leaf Foods is committed to Employment Equity and maintaining a diverse workforce. Job applicants with a disability who require reasonable accommodation for any part of the application or hiring process can contact our Talent Attraction Team at firstname.lastname@example.org. Reasonable accommodations will be determined on a case-by-case basis and your request will be responded to as soon as possible.