A Sustainable, Forward Thinking Protein Company
Maple Leaf Foods is a leading meat and plant-based protein company, employing over 11,500 people and publicly traded on the Toronto Stock Exchange. We are proud of our roots, which trace back well over 100 years, but our vision and purpose are decidedly forward looking. As we pursue our vision to become the most sustainable protein company on earth, we are committed to creating shared value – creative business value through addressing some of the world’s most critical social and environmental challenges. Our goal is to build a more sustainable food system, which provides nutritious affordable food, operates within planetary limits, cares for animals responsibly, and meaningfully engages with our communities to advance a more just society. We are advancing bold changes within Maple Leaf and more broadly within society to pursue our vision. We deeply believe this is the sustainable path to growth.
Our job is to make great food
Maple Leaf Foods embraces a strong values-based culture, where our people are deeply engaged in work that is purposeful, fast-paced and challenging. We cultivate an open, non-bureaucratic and inclusive workplace that fosters safety and transparency, along with individual leadership and accountability. Each Maple Leaf team member has a voice and plays an active role in helping all of us achieve our goals with passion and discipline. We support one another to grow professionally, to learn new skills and to take on challenging experiences in the spirit of continuous improvement.
Raise the Good in Food
We have united behind a shared purpose – to Raise the Good in Food. This spans a dramatic transformation of our flagship Maple Leaf brand, replacing anything artificial with simple, natural ingredients; investments and process changes to reduce our environmental footprint by 50% by 2025; building a diverse and inclusive culture where all talent thrives; becoming a leader in animal care; and advancing food security through our charitable foundation, the Maple Leaf Centre for Action on Food Security.
Our Leadership Values
Eight core values guide us in everything that we do.
HACCP Team Leader - 18 Month Contract
- Do What’s Right
- Shared Value
- High Performance
- Diverse and Inclusive Teams
- Disciplined Decision Making
- Our Accountability
- Intense Curiosity
- Transparency and Humility
As part of Maple Leaf Food’s FSQA team, the HACCP Team Leader is responsible for the day-to-day maintenance, ongoing review, and continuous improvement of the documented quality assurance and food safety programs such as; Food Safety Enhancement Program (FSEP), Prerequisite Programs, Hazard Analysis & Critical Control Point (HACCP) Plans, and Standard Operating Food Safety Procedures. Positions reporting into this role include QA Systems (SAP/MES) and Quality Auditor, helping this individual lead, coach and support training programs that embed and sustain our food safety/quality culture and audit readiness on a daily basis.
A snap shot of some of the exciting things you will lead and do:
What we have to offer you:
- Building strong relationships with peers, internal suppliers and internal customers.
- Works closely with site leadership team ensuring constant site audit readiness.
- Responsible for HACCP maintenance, ongoing HACCP reassessment, monitoring and verification.
- Identify any Food Safety and HACCP-related Work Notifications or Non-Conformances generated from Interior Premises Audits, Sanitation Monitoring, Pre-op inspections, 3rd Party audits, or any Food Safety failures.
- Maintain an attitude of continuous process improvement and training of employees at hourly and salary levels. Includes new employee training and updating Food Safety and Quality training programs as required.
- Maintain, update and ensure consistent execution of current QA programs and internal SOPs.
- Assemble and lead annual HACCP reassessment team.
- Conduct pre-requisite program reassessment and audits.
- Lead BRC and assist other third party audits (CVS, HACCP, FSQMS or customer) and prepare/coach cross functional managers before and during these audits.
- Ensure required process validations are current, accurate and complete.
- Assist FSQA Leader in changes, product launches, and regulatory changes, as required.
- Assist with Root Cause Analysis and Investigation and Response to Customer and Consumer complaints.
- Provide back-up support to FSQA Team.
- Participate in projects and meetings as required.
- To perform other duties as assigned.
What you will bring:
- Be part of a company with an inspiring and unique vision, with a deep commitment to sustainability and expanding its leadership in sustainable protein across North America
- Professional and career development opportunities, supported by our commitment to talent development through our partnership with the Ivey School of Business.
- Competitive Health and Wellness benefits that start on your first day of employment
- Defined Contribution Pension Plan
- Commitment to Learning – courses, resources and tools provided to all employees
- Employee Assistance Program
The successful candidate will be results-oriented, thrive in a fast paced, demanding environment, and have the ability to develop positive working relationships with all employees. Candidates must have:
We thank all applicants for their interest in exploring employment opportunities with Maple Leaf Foods however only those selected for an interview will be contacted. Applicants may be subject to a background check and must meet the security criteria designated for the position.
- University degree or college diploma preferably in Chemistry, Microbiology, Food Science or a related discipline.
- Understanding of HACCP, CCP’s and GMP’s. HACCP Trained and certified preferred.
- Supervisory experience 3+ years in FSQA within a food manufacturing environment, preferably in a unionized setting.
- Experience in basic food chemistry, basic microbiology, allergen controls, auditing, GFSI/BRC, sanitary design and HACCP principles.
- Certified Internal BRC Auditor is an asset.
- Ability to manage and build a team independently.
- Demonstrated ability to forge partnerships with multiple cross-functional areas, (i.e. Operations, Maintenance, Sanitation) to enhance compliance, efficiency and productivity.
- Knowledge of industry related quality systems and inspection programs.
- Ability to address and manage collaborative relationship with CFIA.
- Proven leadership skills with ability to effectively communicate to all levels of internal and external organizations.
- Detail and results oriented.
- Very strong interpersonal skills.
- Strong ability to communicate (i.e. read, speak and write) in English.
- Proficient in MS Office tools (Excel and Word).
Maple Leaf Foods is committed to Employment Equity and maintaining a diverse workforce. Job applicants with a disability who require reasonable accommodation for any part of the application or hiring process can contact our Talent Attraction Team at email@example.com. Reasonable accommodations will be determined on a case-by-case basis and your request will be responded to as soon as possible.