Sales & Technical Representative
A Sustainable, Forward Thinking Protein Company
Maple Leaf Foods is a leading meat and plant-based protein company, employing over 11,500 people and publicly traded on the Toronto Stock Exchange. We are proud of our roots, which trace back well over 100 years, but our vision and purpose are decidedly forward looking. As we pursue our vision to become the most sustainable protein company on earth, we are committed to creating shared value – creative business value through addressing some of the world’s most critical social and environmental challenges. Our goal is to build a more sustainable food system, which provides nutritious affordable food, operates within planetary limits, cares for animals responsibly, and meaningfully engages with our communities to advance a more just society. We are advancing bold changes within Maple Leaf and more broadly within society to pursue our vision. We deeply believe this is the sustainable path to growth.
Our job is to make great food
Maple Leaf Foods embraces a strong values-based culture, where our people are deeply engaged in work that is purposeful, fast-paced and challenging. We cultivate an open, non-bureaucratic and inclusive workplace that fosters safety and transparency, along with individual leadership and accountability. Each Maple Leaf team member has a voice and plays an active role in helping all of us achieve our goals with passion and discipline. We support one another to grow professionally, to learn new skills and to take on challenging experiences in the spirit of continuous improvement.
Raise the Good in Food
We have united behind a shared purpose – to Raise the Good in Food. This spans a dramatic transformation of our flagship Maple Leaf brand, replacing anything artificial with simple, natural ingredients; investments and process changes to reduce our environmental footprint by 50% by 2025; building a diverse and inclusive culture where all talent thrives; becoming a leader in animal care; and advancing food security through our charitable foundation, the Maple Leaf Centre for Action on Food Security.
Our Leadership Values
Eight core values guide us in everything that we do.
- Do What’s Right
- Shared Value
- High Performance
- Diverse and Inclusive Teams
- Disciplined Decision Making
- Our Accountability
- Intense Curiosity
- Transparency and Humility
The Technical Sales Representative is responsible for the management of their applicable sales territory and its daily activities. This position is accountable for achieving annual sales and procurement objectives as well as providing value added technical services to our producer base. This role is instrumental in ensuring the needs of the producers are met while also achieving chick sales/procurement budgeted volumes and meeting the differentiated product needs of the organization.
A snapshot of some of the exciting things you will lead and do:
- Proactively manage a sales territory and all associated sales initiatives required to meet or exceed targeted business objectives
- Maintaining and increasing sales volume of day old chicks.
- Maintaining and increasing the procurement volume of live chicken, as required.
- Key person managing the customer’s needs while balancing and aligning with internal constraints and operational capacities.
- Provides technical service support to our producers to meet our differentiated product needs and ensure product quality and specifications are met. Examples are Raised without Antibiotics and On Farm Animal Welfare Initiatives but are not limited to only these.
- Networking with other industry stakeholders, broadening sphere of influence and elevating over-all sales effectiveness.
- Responsible for executing the chick order process.
- Responsible for resolving all sales claims and complaints in a timely and values consistent fashion.
- Responsible for ensuring daily execution activities are meeting company, producer, and regulatory protocols.
- Strong working relationship with Ontario feed mill representatives as required.
- Demonstration and commitment to the Maple Leaf’s Leadership Edge Values.
- Using a Six Sigma approach, to drive forward continuous improvement opportunities
What we have to offer you:
- Be part of a company with an inspiring and unique vision, with a deep commitment to sustainability and expanding its leadership in sustainable protein across North America
- Professional and career development opportunities, supported by our commitment to talent development through our partnership with the Ivey School of Business.
- Competitive Health and Wellness benefits that start on your first day of employment
- Defined Contribution Pension Plan
- Commitment to Learning – courses, resources and tools provided to all employees
- Employee Assistance Program
What you will bring:
We thank all applicants for their interest in exploring employment opportunities with Maple Leaf Foods however only those selected for an interview will be contacted. Applicants may be subject to a background check and must meet the security criteria designated for the position.
- Post-secondary education or University Degree in Agriculture, Business, Science or related field (or equivalent work experience) preferred.
- Minimum 1-3 years experience in a sales environment.
- On Farm technical knowledge is an asset.
- Strong working knowledge of live poultry industry, and sales and procurement an asset.
- Proven technical on farm poultry knowledge.
- Excellent sales and negotiation skills
- Demonstrated strong commitment to the Maple Leaf’s Leadership Edge Values.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to influence others
- Excellent verbal and written communications skills.
- Demonstrated analytical, time management, and organizational skills.
- Proven ability to drive sales initiatives and multi-task in a fast pace environment.
- An ability to work independently; be self-motivated and enthusiastic.
- High level of computer competency including knowledge of Microsoft Office applications.
Maple Leaf Foods is committed to Employment Equity and maintaining a diverse workforce. Job applicants with a disability who require reasonable accommodation for any part of the application or hiring process can contact our Talent Attraction Team at email@example.com. Reasonable accommodations will be determined on a case-by-case basis and your request will be responded to as soon as possible.