Live Poultry Logistics Manager
A Sustainable, Forward Thinking Protein Company
Maple Leaf Foods is a leading meat and plant-based protein company, employing over 11,500 people and publicly traded on the Toronto Stock Exchange. We are proud of our roots, which trace back well over 100 years, but our vision and purpose are decidedly forward looking. As we pursue our vision to become the most sustainable protein company on earth, we are committed to creating shared value – creative business value through addressing some of the world’s most critical social and environmental challenges. Our goal is to build a more sustainable food system, which provides nutritious affordable food, operates within planetary limits, cares for animals responsibly, and meaningfully engages with our communities to advance a more just society. We are advancing bold changes within Maple Leaf and more broadly within society to pursue our vision. We deeply believe this is the sustainable path to growth.
Our job is to make great food
Maple Leaf Foods embraces a strong values-based culture, where our people are deeply engaged in work that is purposeful, fast-paced and challenging. We cultivate an open, non-bureaucratic and inclusive workplace that fosters safety and transparency, along with individual leadership and accountability. Each Maple Leaf team member has a voice and plays an active role in helping all of us achieve our goals with passion and discipline. We support one another to grow professionally, to learn new skills and to take on challenging experiences in the spirit of continuous improvement.
Raise the Good in Food
We have united behind a shared purpose – to Raise the Good in Food. This spans a dramatic transformation of our flagship Maple Leaf brand, replacing anything artificial with simple, natural ingredients; investments and process changes to reduce our environmental footprint by 50% by 2025; building a diverse and inclusive culture where all talent thrives; becoming a leader in animal care; and advancing food security through our charitable foundation, the Maple Leaf Centre for Action on Food Security.
Our Leadership Values
Eight core values guide us in everything that we do.
- Do What’s Right
- Shared Value
- High Performance
- Diverse and Inclusive Teams
- Disciplined Decision Making
- Our Accountability
- Intense Curiosity
- Transparency and Humility
This resource supports live and plant operations to ensure the regulatory requirements of our third-party transportation and the investments in technologies to support these processes are met. This includes MLF outcomes-based criteria and regulatory guidelines including dead on arrival (DOA) investigations and results. Additionally, this role supports asset management with a clear commitment to deliver results through budgetary, forecasting, program management and routine follow up with third party suppliers and live and plant operations.
A snapshot of some of the exciting things you will lead and do:
- Clear knowledge of regulatory requirements to ensure compliance (i.e. Health & Safety, CFIA, Marketing Board, Government, etc.)
- Coordination of planning activities with other stakeholders; producers, third party providers, drivers, live and processing teams, etc.
- Oversee Transportation Projects and coordinate activities, documentation and analysis related to those initiatives
- Documented procedures for SafeFlight, Climate-Controlled Trailers, updates to Regulatory Requirements, Preventative Maintenance & Repairs, Trouble-shooting Protocols and other related to fleet
- Metrics developed to ensure proper functioning of trailers and programs
- monitor sensors & boxes for replacement, using outlined criteria to determine when replacement/repair takes place
- Issue P.O./Work order to Riverdale/Plant Maintenance to repair,
- Point of contact for drivers - issues/training, key contact for drivers/dispatch and MLF IS for issue resolution.
- Manage software updates with IS - change requests (Azure updates & Apple IOS updates)
- Monitor driver/plant data entry and correct errors.
- manage software updates with IS - change requests (Azure updates & Apple IOS updates)
- correction of incorrect data entries
- Oversee preventative maintenance program for entire fleet ON & AB,
- Key contributor, upon approval, on executing ON Trailer order, including coordination of knowledge transfer from the Alberta team.
- Work closely with Smithway technical team to ensure trailers are mechanically functioning properly while using the on-board data to improve daily performance.
- Co-ordinate all warranty repairs with Smithway.
- Ordering of new trailers
- Data card analysis of climate-controlled trailers for DOA investigations
- Manage maintenance programs, DOA investigations
- Utilize the data from SafeFlight to analyze loads over the targeted values as determined by MLF. Work with the AHWT/Plant/Live Team to coordinate improvement opportunities.
- Accurate and timely reporting
Continuous Improvement :
- Preventative maintenance, Electronic data logs & potentially SafeFlight
- Develops strategies for improvement for fleet and process through annual reviews with systems and third-party providers
- Support initiatives to improve transportation outcomes at farm level. Example fan trailers or on farm practices.
- Accurate and timely reporting on fleet status – budget vs actual, downtime,
- Continued assessment of analytics to drive improvement
- Ongoing evaluation of MLF’s position and current industry trends for best fleet practices and evaluate emerging technologies
- Negotiate and liaise with 3rd-party suppliers for continuous improvement initiatives and to control costs.
- Identify business opportunities. Present, discuss and propose new initiatives to address opportunities.
- Keep Senior Management informed of progress, issues, risks and successes on a pro-active basis.
- All other duties as assigned.
MLF meets and/or exceeds targeted DOA results, maintenance & process improvements to trailer assets and conditions, cost-effective management of fleet and systems, relationship with drivers, animal care leads, dispatch are managed well, ongoing improvements of results and processes.
What we have to offer you:
- Be part of a company with an inspiring and unique vision, with a deep commitment to sustainability and expanding its leadership in sustainable protein across North America
- Professional and career development opportunities, supported by our commitment to talent development through our partnership with the Ivey School of Business.
- Competitive Health and Wellness benefits that start on your first day of employment
- Defined Contribution Pension Plan
- Commitment to Learning – courses, resources and tools provided to all employees
- Employee Assistance Program
What you will bring:
We thank all applicants for their interest in exploring employment opportunities with Maple Leaf Foods however only those selected for an interview will be contacted. Applicants may be subject to a background check and must meet the security criteria designated for the position.
- Systems knowledge
- Regulatory compliance requirements
- Fleet knowledge an asset
- Preventative maintenance
- Working knowledge of the Poultry industry preferred
- Excellent verbal and written communications skills
- Strong analytical abilities
- Professional, objective, action oriented, team player and leader
- Ability to manage multiple locations and priorities
- Self-driven with excellent problem-solving ability
- Excellent influencing and negotiation skills
- Advanced computer skills required
Maple Leaf Foods is committed to Employment Equity and maintaining a diverse workforce. Job applicants with a disability who require reasonable accommodation for any part of the application or hiring process can contact our Talent Attraction Team at email@example.com. Reasonable accommodations will be determined on a case-by-case basis and your request will be responded to as soon as possible.