A Sustainable, Forward Thinking Protein Company
Maple Leaf Foods is a leading meat and plant-based protein company, employing over 11,500 people and publicly traded on the Toronto Stock Exchange. We are proud of our roots, which trace back well over 100 years, but our vision and purpose are decidedly forward looking. As we pursue our vision to become the most sustainable protein company on earth, we are committed to creating shared value – creative business value through addressing some of the world’s most critical social and environmental challenges. Our goal is to build a more sustainable food system, which provides nutritious affordable food, operates within planetary limits, cares for animals responsibly, and meaningfully engages with our communities to advance a more just society. We are advancing bold changes within Maple Leaf and more broadly within society to pursue our vision. We deeply believe this is the sustainable path to growth.
Our job is to make great food
Maple Leaf Foods embraces a strong values-based culture, where our people are deeply engaged in work that is purposeful, fast-paced, and challenging.
We cultivate an open, non-bureaucratic and inclusive workplace that fosters safety and transparency, along with individual leadership and accountability. Each Maple Leaf team member has a voice and plays an active role in helping all of us achieve our goals with passion and discipline. We support one another to grow professionally, to learn new skills and to take on challenging experiences in the spirit of continuous improvement.
Raise the Good in Food
We have united behind a shared purpose – to Raise the Good in Food. This spans a dramatic transformation of our flagship Maple Leaf brand, replacing anything artificial with simple, natural ingredients; investments and process changes to reduce our environmental footprint by 50% by 2025; building a diverse and inclusive culture where all talent thrives; becoming a leader in animal care; and advancing food security through our charitable foundation, the Maple Leaf Centre for Action on Food Security.
Our Leadership Values
Eight core values guide us in everything that we do.
- Do What’s Right
- Shared Value
- High Performance
- Diverse and Inclusive Teams
- Disciplined Decision Making
- Our Accountability
- Intense Curiosity
- Transparency and Humility
Maple Leaf Foods is embarking on one of the most exciting journeys in its history through the build and startup of a world-class, leading edge manufacturing facility producing premium, value added fresh poultry products. The new 640,000 square foot facility will call London, ON home and will employ over 1,600 employees as we ramp up operations over the next few years.
We are looking for equally enthusiastic people who want to join our team as we start to climb our own version of Everest. As with every great feat, the realities of this opportunity may come with some challenges and we are looking for people who have the commitment to working through these together. We believe that participation in this start-up requires great passion
for our objectives, the flexibility
to adapt to the needs of the environment, and a resilient spirit
rooted in the desire to achieve winning results as a team. Together we believe we will do great things for our people, our consumers, and our communities.
If you think that this opportunity might be for you, we encourage you to read more details about this exciting role below.
A snapshot of some of the exciting things you will lead and do:
Reporting to the Production Manager, the Lairage and Yard Coordinator will be responsible for supporting activities relating to inbound live haul shipments and supporting yard activities at the London Poultry facility. This position requires a high-level of communication and collaboration among departments with a collaborative and supportive mentality.
As a Lairage and Yard Coordinator, you will:
What we have to offer you:
- Manage arrivals of inbound live loads; oversee lairage segregation (RWA; Organic; Conventional)
- Complete lairage monitoring forms at required intervals
- Key ‘on-site’ point of contact with live procurement team
- Coordinate decisions on slaughter changes with Live Receiving Supervisor; Assistant Supervisor; and live procurement team
- Ensure input of data to Live Bird Handling (LBH) system is accurate and corrected as needed
- Ensure scale is operational; calibrated as per schedule; scale tickets are collected and entered
- Oversee snow removal; keep scale clear of dirt and debris
- Coordinate movement of birds from holding barn as needed
- Ensure fans operational in holding barn; coordinate sides on in winter; doors operational as needed
- Snow removal, salt and sand activities at all man door entrances and safety exits
- Lawn and yard work as required which may include lawn cutting, weed removal, parking lot sweep, garbage pickup and other work as assigned by management.
- Other work as assigned by management.
What you will bring:
- Be part of a company with an inspiring and unique vision, with a deep commitment to sustainability and expanding its leadership in sustainable protein across North America
- Professional and career development opportunities supported by our commitment to talent development through our partnership with the Ivey School of Business.
- Competitive Health and Wellness benefits that start on your first day of employment
- Defined Contribution Pension Plan
- Commitment to Learning – courses, resources and tools provided to all employees
- Employee Assistance Program
- 2+ years of industry experience with lairage control and live bird care
- High School Diploma or better
- Must have a current valid driver’s license. AZ or DZ license or related experience is an asset.
- The candidate may be asked to complete the shunt truck driving training course as provided by the company to serve as a back-up to the shunting.
- Excellent organizational and time management skills with a high degree of initiative and flexibility.
- Self-starter/motivated and able to work independently with minimal supervision and strong organization skills
- A strong communicator, both written and oral, who is confident, and decisive
We thank all applicants for their interest in exploring employment opportunities with Maple Leaf Foods however only those selected for an interview will be contacted. Applicants may be subject to a background check and must meet the security criteria designated for the position. Maple Leaf Foods is committed to Employment Equity and maintaining a diverse workforce. Job applicants with a disability who require reasonable accommodation for any part of the application or hiring process can contact our Talent Attraction Team at firstname.lastname@example.org
. Reasonable accommodations will be determined on a case-by-case basis and your request will be responded to as soon as possible