A Sustainable, Forward Thinking Protein Company
Maple Leaf Foods is a leading meat and plant-based protein company, employing over 11,500 people and publicly traded on the Toronto Stock Exchange. We are proud of our roots, which trace back well over 100 years, but our vision and purpose are decidedly forward looking. As we pursue our vision to become the most sustainable protein company on earth, we are committed to creating shared value – creative business value through addressing some of the world’s most critical social and environmental challenges. Our goal is to build a more sustainable food system, which provides nutritious affordable food, operates within planetary limits, cares for animals responsibly, and meaningfully engages with our communities to advance a more just society. We are advancing bold changes within Maple Leaf and more broadly within society to pursue our vision. We deeply believe this is the sustainable path to growth
Our job is to make great food
Maple Leaf Foods embraces a strong values-based culture, where our people are deeply engaged in work that is purposeful, fast-paced and challenging. We cultivate an open, non-bureaucratic and inclusive workplace that fosters safety and transparency, along with individual leadership and accountability. Each Maple Leaf team member has a voice and plays an active role in helping all of us achieve our goals with passion and discipline. We support one another to grow professionally, to learn new skills and to take on challenging experiences in the spirit of continuous improvement
Raise the Good in Food
We have united behind a shared purpose – to Raise the Good in Food. This spans a dramatic transformation of our flagship Maple Leaf brand, replacing anything artificial with simple, natural ingredients; investments and process changes to reduce our environmental footprint by 50% by 2025; building a diverse and inclusive culture where all talent thrives; becoming a leader in animal care; and advancing food security through our charitable foundation, the Maple Leaf Centre for Action on Food Security.
Our Leadership Values
Eight core values guide us in everything that we do.
- Do What’s Right
- Shared Value
- High Performance
- Diverse and Inclusive Teams
- Disciplined Decision Making
- Our Accountability
- Intense Curiosity
- Transparency and Humility
Be part of an organization with a vision to become the most sustainable protein company on earth! Maple Leaf Foods is advancing this collective vision by being guided by core Leadership Values and is the world’s first major carbon neutral food company! As an organization we are also committed to advancing diversity, inclusion and belonging by building, investing in, and recognizing teams of remarkable people who value an inclusive workplace, embrace all forms of diversity and commit to include every voice in a highly collaborate environment.
Reporting to the Manager, Asset Management & Reliability, the incumbent will be a member of the Asset Reliability Group, a corporate team with a vision is to create a competitive advantage by pursuing a world-class asset performance culture by leveraging best-in-class asset management & reliability practices, technology, and leadership. This team supports all the company's 20+ manufacturing facilities across North America. The incumbent will have the mandate to manage and implement multiple network-level projects that support the Maple Leaf Foods Asset Reliability strategy and apply technical, strategic and analytical expertise to transition the reliability and maintenance program towards world class.
As part of a larger Asset Reliability Group, the frequent interactions between the Asset Reliability Specialist, maintenance stakeholders at the plants, and corporate cross-functional teams (e.g. information solutions, food safety, finance, engineering, sustainability and operations excellence) will have a significant impact on the day-to-day activities. You will have an impact by maximizing capacity and uptime, increasing customer service, reducing maintenance costs, maximizing asset lifecycle and reducing risk for environment, food safety and health and safety.
A snapshot of some of the exciting things you will lead and do:
- Serve as a subject matter expert in identifying network reliability risks and cost using statistical methods and KPIs; develop action plans for mitigating risk to uptime, costs, and customer fill-rate using RCM and other methods
- Develop asset strategies for common and critical assets in collaboration with cross-functional teams & Asset Strategy Council
- Develop and implement network standards and tools for Condition Monitoring & Predictive Maintenance including vibration analysis, ultra-sonic, fluid analysis, and IR thermography.
- Support with establishing the requirements and process for asset lifecycle management, from design to decommissioning
- Develop and deploy asset health index for long-term asset investment and capital expenditure planning
- Monitor and maintain AR systems, analytical tools/dashboards; sustain data quality & integrity; identify and address chronic problems
- Enhance or develop corporate Asset Reliability Standards, Maturity Assessments, Business Process Workflows (e.g. IPSECA) and Reliability tools
- Perform benchmarking and gap analysis to define opportunities for moving network AR maturity towards world-class
- Providing coaching and facilitation for failure mode and effect analysis (FMEA), root cause failure analysis (RCFA), preventive maintenance optimization (PMO)
- Support assessment, selection and implementation of new technologies such as mobility (iPads), smart glasses, automated visual scheduling tools, building automation systems, asset intelligence management (PdM-IIoT), barcoding and annual SAP enhancements
- Manage, coordinate and/or facilitate internal/external training programs (Maintenance Academy, Lunch & Learns) across all maintenance employees (technicians, planners, supervisors, managers)
- Prepare and publish Asset Reliability reports (i.e Downtime) and insights
- Participate, support, or lead special projects (e.g. plant support projects, new equipment purchases etc.)
- Other related maintenance and reliability problem and improvement opportunity activities, as assigned
What we have to offer you:
- Be part of a company with an inspiring and unique vision, with a deep commitment to sustainability and expanding its leadership in sustainable protein across North America
- Professional and career development opportunities
- Competitive Health and Wellness benefits that start on your first day of employment
- Defined Contribution Pension Plan
- Commitment to Learning – courses, resources and tools provided to all employees
- Employee Assistance Program
What you will bring:
- Engineering degree in a related field (Mechanical, Electrical, Industrial, Mechatronics or Mining, is preferred) from an accredited university is required
- Registration, or eligibility to immediately register with PEO (EIT or P.Eng.) is preferred
- 3-5 years of experience in a manufacturing environment is an asset including 2 years of experience in reliability engineering is an asset.
- Project Management Professional and/or Certified Maintenance & Reliability Professional or equivalent is highly desirable
- Experience with applying maintenance and reliability concepts (RCM, FMEA, RCFA, PMO) is required
- Experience with Computerized Maintenance Management Systems (CMMS) particularly SAP EAM is highly desirable
- Advanced software skills in Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Visio is required
- Experience with Microsoft PowerBI is an asset
- Must be a Self-starter, high energy, people oriented, outgoing, enjoy public speaking, with superb communication & interpersonal skills
- Must have a continuous improvement mindset, thrive on innovative/critical thinker with intense curiosity challenging the status quo.
- Must be highly results oriented, extremely organized, and capable of working independently while managing multiple priorities
- Must be an outstanding team player/team builder to maintain strong working relationships
- Must be highly adaptable to constant change and comfortable in a very fast-paced environment
- Must be able to discuss concepts, manage change, and influence decision making
- Must excel in writing, presenting, and discussing technical concepts fluently in English.
- Environment – In the interim due to COVID-19 you will be primarily working from home; otherwise 50% office, 50% plants
- Volume & Complexity of Work – Moderate complexity, fast-paced, multiple deadlines.
- Travel Requirements – up to 50% travel
- Physical Requirements – None
Maple Leaf Foods is committed to ensuring the health and safety of all our employees. As part of this commitment, we have adopted a number of COVID-19 safety measures, including a requirement for all employees to be fully vaccinated by March 31, 2022 and to show proof of vaccination. In keeping with this policy, successful candidates will need to provide proof of vaccination by March 31, 2022 (or prior to their first day of work if the start date is after March 31, 2022). We will of course consider accommodations for anyone unable to be vaccinated following human rights and other applicable laws
We thank all applicants for their interest in exploring employment opportunities with Maple Leaf Foods; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted. Applicants may be subject to a background check and must meet the security criteria designated for the position.
Championing diversity and inclusion is a critical component to advancing our collective purpose and vision, living the Maple Leaf Leadership Values, and delivering winning results. Accommodation is available upon request for applicants with disabilities in the recruitment and assessment process and when hired; please contact our Talent Attraction Team at email@example.com.