A Sustainable, Forward Thinking Protein Company
Maple Leaf Foods is a leading meat and plant-based protein company, employing over 11,500 people and publicly traded on the Toronto Stock Exchange. We are proud of our roots, which trace back well over 100 years, but our vision and purpose are decidedly forward looking. As we pursue our vision to become the most sustainable protein company on earth, we are committed to creating shared value – creative business value through addressing some of the world’s most critical social and environmental challenges. Our goal is to build a more sustainable food system, which provides nutritious affordable food, operates within planetary limits, cares for animals responsibly, and meaningfully engages with our communities to advance a more just society. We are advancing bold changes within Maple Leaf and more broadly within society to pursue our vision. We deeply believe this is the sustainable path to growth.
Our job is to make great food
Maple Leaf Foods embraces a strong values-based culture, where our people are deeply engaged in work that is purposeful, fast-paced and challenging.We cultivate an open, non-bureaucratic and inclusive workplace that fosters safety and transparency, along with individual leadership and accountability. Each Maple Leaf team member has a voice and plays an active role in helping all of us achieve our goals with passion and discipline. We support one another to grow professionally, to learn new skills and to take on challenging experiences in the spirit of continuous improvement
Raise the Good in Food
We have united behind a shared purpose – to Raise the Good in Food. This spans a dramatic transformation of our flagship Maple Leaf brand, replacing anything artificial with simple, natural ingredients; investments and process changes to reduce our environmental footprint by 50% by 2025; building a diverse and inclusive culture where all talent thrives; becoming a leader in animal care; and advancing food security through our charitable foundation, the Maple Leaf Centre for Action on Food Security.
Our Leadership Values
Eight core values guide us in everything that we do.
- Do What’s Right
- Shared Value
- High Performance
- Diverse and Inclusive Teams
- Disciplined Decision Making
- Our Accountability
- Intense Curiosity
- Transparency and Humility
The Project Financial Analyst (PFA) is responsible for tracking and analyzing Maple Leaf Foods large strategic Construction Capital project finances. Working directly with dynamic colleagues as they execute on construction sites, who are eager to share their construction knowledge with you, you will be empowered to manage and drive our key Cost Management Tool. The PFA is a key member of a core project team who tracks and reviews costs as they relate to the project budget, analyzes trends and highlights deviations from baseline budgets. The keys to success for the PFA include being a self-driven, effective collaborator with key project team members, having great excel skills, and a keen sense of curiosity and learning. The Maple Leaf Foods leadership values are central to our culture and provide an environment of teamwork, with the ability to challenge the status quo, in a highly engaged team environment that rewards your contributions.
A snapshot of some of the exciting things you will lead and do:
- Track all expenditures on the project and maintaining a detailed log of all costs and changes, utilizing the Cost Management Tool
- Validate data entered into Cost Management Tool and initiate amendments, if required
- Liaise with members of the project team to get up to date project information for construction, process equipment, project management and Information Systems
- Review legitimacy of the documents submitted for payment for construction, with alignment of project team members
- Review and provide insights and analysis in determining projected final costs, in coordination with the project team member
- Completion of accruals for the project at month end
- Create financial reports to track spending in relation to the budget for management and accounting. These reports would include:
- Cash Flow
- Currency Exchange impacts on budget
- Costs related to Changes
- Monitor that applicable holdbacks are taken and that repayment is correct
- Provide accurate capitalizations to the fixed asset team
- Determine the final project cost on completion of construction
- Ad hoc duties as required
- Exposure to key stakeholders through analytics and accurate and timely delivery of reports
- Learn the business from discussion while informing project team and stakeholders on critical data requirements
- Drive Change – we want to hear from you on how to improve our processes on capital reporting.
What we have to offer you:
- Be part of a company with an inspiring and unique vision, with a deep commitment to sustainability and expanding its leadership in sustainable protein across North America
- Professional and career development opportunities
- Competitive Health and Wellness benefits that start on your first day of employment
- Defined Contribution Pension Plan
- Commitment to Learning – courses, resources and tools provided to all employees
- Employee Assistance Program
What you will bring:
- Post-secondary education in Accounting or Finance related discipline
- Ideally 3-5 years’ experience as a Financial Analyst
- Proficient Excel and an aptitude to learn new software when required
- Experience in SAP is an asset
- Ability to multi-task, meet deadlines, and to work in an extremely fast-paced environment
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills and Team player
- Extremely well organized and detail-oriented
- Ability to take initiative and independently prioritize own work
- Strong problem-solving skills
- Strong alignment with Maple Leaf’s Values
Maple Leaf Foods is committed to ensuring the health and safety of all our employees. As part of this commitment, we have adopted a number of COVID-19 safety measures, including a requirement for all employees to be fully vaccinated by March 31, 2022 and to show proof of vaccination. In keeping with this policy, successful candidates will need to provide proof of vaccination by March 31, 2022 (or prior to their first day of work if the start date is after March 31, 2022). We will of course consider accommodations for anyone unable to be vaccinated following human rights and other applicable laws
We thank all applicants for their interest in exploring employment opportunities with Maple Leaf Foods; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted. Applicants may be subject to a background check and must meet the security criteria designated for the position.
Championing diversity and inclusion is a critical component to advancing our collective purpose and vision, living the Maple Leaf Leadership Values, and delivering winning results. Accommodation is available upon request for applicants with disabilities in the recruitment and assessment process and when hired; please contact our Talent Attraction Team at email@example.com.