A Sustainable, Forward Thinking Protein Company
Maple Leaf Foods is a leading meat and plant-based protein company, employing over 11,500 people and publicly traded on the Toronto Stock Exchange. We are proud of our roots, which trace back well over 100 years, but our vision and purpose are decidedly forward looking. As we pursue our vision to become the most sustainable protein company on earth, we are committed to creating shared value – creative business value through addressing some of the world’s most critical social and environmental challenges. Our goal is to build a more sustainable food system, which provides nutritious affordable food, operates within planetary limits, cares for animals responsibly, and meaningfully engages with our communities to advance a more just society. We are advancing bold changes within Maple Leaf and more broadly within society to pursue our vision. We deeply believe this is the sustainable path to growth.
Our job is to make great food
Maple Leaf Foods embraces a strong values-based culture, where our people are deeply engaged in work that is purposeful, fast-paced and challenging.We cultivate an open, non-bureaucratic and inclusive workplace that fosters safety and transparency, along with individual leadership and accountability. Each Maple Leaf team member has a voice and plays an active role in helping all of us achieve our goals with passion and discipline. We support one another to grow professionally, to learn new skills and to take on challenging experiences in the spirit of continuous improvement
Raise the Good in Food
We have united behind a shared purpose – to Raise the Good in Food. This spans a dramatic transformation of our flagship Maple Leaf brand, replacing anything artificial with simple, natural ingredients; investments and process changes to reduce our environmental footprint by 50% by 2025; building a diverse and inclusive culture where all talent thrives; becoming a leader in animal care; and advancing food security through our charitable foundation, the Maple Leaf Centre for Action on Food Security.
Our Leadership Values
Eight core values guide us in everything that we do.
- Do What’s Right
- Shared Value
- High Performance
- Diverse and Inclusive Teams
- Disciplined Decision Making
- Our Accountability
- Intense Curiosity
- Transparency and Humility
Maple Leaf Foods is embarking on one of the most exciting journeys in its history through the build and startup of a world-class, leading edge manufacturing facility producing premium, value added fresh poultry products. The new 640,000 square foot facility will call London, ON home and will employ over 1,600 employees as we ramp up operations over the next few years.
We are looking for equally enthusiastic people who want to join our team as we start to climb our own version of Everest. As with every great feat, the realities of this opportunity may come with some challenges and we are looking for people who have the commitment to working through these together. We believe that participation in this start-up requires great passion for our objectives, the flexibility to adapt to the needs of the environment, and a resilient spirit rooted in the desire to achieve winning results as a team. Together we believe we will do great things for our people, our consumers, and our communities.
If you think that this opportunity might be for you, we encourage you to read more details about this exciting role below.
A snapshot of some of the exciting things you will lead and do:
Reporting to the Operations Leader, the Production Manager will be accountable for the start-up of our new London operations facility and ensuring lines are running effectively and optimally, with a trained team in place at all times.
You lead by example and inspire your team to deliver top results. You are passionate about safety and promote a culture where safety comes first. You thrive in an environment that is fast paced and have a keen sense for continuous improvement. Your approach is collaborative and offer a forum where everyone feels comfortable to bring forward new ideas.
As Production Manager, you will:
- Consistent with our leadership values, act as a champion for our culture by leading the Operations team in the development and execution of a positive and productive environment that permeates through all levels and is focused on the needs of our people.
- Actively engages in the start-up activities including developing appropriate programs and procedures, hiring and developing a new team, and working cross functionally to ensure start-up readiness.
- Accountable for production costs, labour utilization, yields, results of operations and cost improvements in their production area.
- Develops employees through training and coaching, providing clear roles and consistent support and feedback for all employees.
- Foster and maintain positive union and employee relations environment by treating all employees with respect, providing timely feedback and grievance resolution.
- Holds employees accountable and drives performance through key metrics that are tied back to the vision.
- Develops and drives a strong safety culture (H&S and Food Safety).
- Continuously seeks ways to improve manufacturing operational results and efficiencies while meeting customer expectations and minimizing waste.
- Develops a cohesive, competent Supervisory group and plans for development and succession planning.
- Supports Marketing/Sales with respect to new and existing product development initiatives.
- Provide oversight and decision making to support the Plant Manager
- Understand and work with state-of-the-art automation (SAP/MES/SCADA/Equipment HMI).
- Optimize and ensure execution of weekly and monthly production schedules.
- Audits processes: People System, FSQA, Reliability predictive practices
- Conduct weekly team meetings to review KPIs, FS/QA, People, Reliability and CI.
- Applies knowledge and ensures compliance with CFIA, Ministry of Labour, Ministry of Environment, Health & Safety and other legislative bodies that impact plant performance.
- Shall demonstrate full commitment to the implementation of the requirements of the Global Standard for Food Safety and to processes which facilitate continual improvement of food safety and quality management.
What we have to offer you:
- Be part of a company with an inspiring and unique vision, with a deep commitment to sustainability and expanding its leadership in sustainable protein across North America
- Professional and career development opportunities
- Competitive Health and Wellness benefits that start on your first day of employment
- Defined Contribution Pension Plan
- Commitment to Learning – courses, resources and tools provided to all employees
- Employee Assistance Program
What you will bring:
- The successful candidate will be results-oriented, thrive in a fast paced, demanding environment, and have the ability to develop positive working relationships with all employees. Candidates must have:
- Meet/exceed Food Safety & Product Quality Metrics and requirements
- Meet/exceed Staff Performance requirements
- Meet/exceed Safety Scorecard targets
- Post-secondary education in Operations Management or related field.
- 5+ years of management experience in a unionized, manufacturing environment.
- Strong interpersonal, oral and written communication skills.
- Strong leadership skills, independent thinking, strong organizational and planning abilities and excellent analytical and problem solving skills are essential.
- Ability to work as a team with all functional areas to support a common goal.
- This individual will regularly share information and work closely with various Leaders and functional areas.
Maple Leaf Foods is committed to ensuring the health and safety of all our employees. As part of this commitment, we have adopted a number of COVID-19 safety measures, including a requirement for all employees to be fully vaccinated by March 31, 2022 and to show proof of vaccination. In keeping with this policy, successful candidates will need to provide proof of vaccination by March 31, 2022 (or prior to their first day of work if the start date is after March 31, 2022). We will of course consider accommodations for anyone unable to be vaccinated following human rights and other applicable laws
We thank all applicants for their interest in exploring employment opportunities with Maple Leaf Foods; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted. Applicants may be subject to a background check and must meet the security criteria designated for the position.
Championing diversity and inclusion is a critical component to advancing our collective purpose and vision, living the Maple Leaf Leadership Values, and delivering winning results. Accommodation is available upon request for applicants with disabilities in the recruitment and assessment process and when hired; please contact our Talent Attraction Team at firstname.lastname@example.org.