Sales Lead - International
A Sustainable, Forward Thinking Protein Company
Maple Leaf Foods is a leading meat and plant-based protein company, employing over 11,500 people and publicly traded on the Toronto Stock Exchange. We are proud of our roots, which trace back well over 100 years, but our vision and purpose are decidedly forward looking. As we pursue our vision to become the most sustainable protein company on earth, we are committed to creating shared value – creative business value through addressing some of the world’s most critical social and environmental challenges. Our goal is to build a more sustainable food system, which provides nutritious affordable food, operates within planetary limits, cares for animals responsibly, and meaningfully engages with our communities to advance a more just society. We are advancing bold changes within Maple Leaf and more broadly within society to pursue our vision. We deeply believe this is the sustainable path to growth.
Our job is to make great food
Maple Leaf Foods embraces a strong values-based culture, where our people are deeply engaged in work that is purposeful, fast-paced and challenging. We cultivate an open, non-bureaucratic and inclusive workplace that fosters safety and transparency, along with individual leadership and accountability. Each Maple Leaf team member has a voice and plays an active role in helping all of us achieve our goals with passion and discipline. We support one another to grow professionally, to learn new skills and to take on challenging experiences in the spirit of continuous improvement.
Raise the Good in Food
We have united behind a shared purpose – to Raise the Good in Food. This spans a dramatic transformation of our flagship Maple Leaf brand, replacing anything artificial with simple, natural ingredients; investments and process changes to reduce our environmental footprint by 50% by 2025; building a diverse and inclusive culture where all talent thrives; becoming a leader in animal care; and advancing food security through our charitable foundation, the Maple Leaf Centre for Action on Food Security.
Our Leadership Values
Eight core values guide us in everything that we do.
- Do What’s Right
- Shared Value
- High Performance
- Diverse and Inclusive Teams
- Disciplined Decision Making
- Our Accountability
- Intense Curiosity
- Transparency and Humility
We are set on extending our prepared meats reach beyond North America by bringing our products and commitment to sustainability to new international markets. We are focused on partnering with the right customers in key international markets. The Sales Lead International will be responsible for building a world-class sales function. You will be an inaugural member of our new business unit and work closely with a dedicated Product Developer, Business Manager, and Finance Manager – while receiving support and guidance from Maple Leaf’s sales leaders in established business units.
The successful candidate will be a balance between a seasoned sales leader with a track record of delivering growth and an entrepreneur keen on building a new business unit. You will work closely with the Vice President & General Manager, Prepared Meats International and your peers to develop strategy that will optimize returns (meet / exceed target volumes and profit) while setting a clear goals to position our business for success in a quick changing competitive landscape (New Global Trade Agreements / ASF).
A snap shot of some of the exciting things you will lead and do:
What we have to offer you:
- Build a substantive book of customer and broker relationships and securing new prepared meats business in line with our business unit targets and aspirations for volume and profit
- Work directly with VP GM Prepared Meats International to prioritize international markets and customers
- Update and communicate international market information and identifying emerging business opportunities
- Develop your network of external industry contacts to support verification of price discovery and market information
- Partner with our International Pork Sales team to extend our prepared meats products to established customers
- Coordinate customer visits which includes complete organization of agendas with the plant facilities, MLF management teams as well as overseeing the preparation of presentation materials
- Develop and manage pricing strategies long term / month to month to achieve targeted profit and volumes
- Develop a strong relationship with and working knowledge of the Prepared Meats manufacturing network to enhance your technical selling efforts and to identify and support continuous improvement efforts at the Plant
- Work closely with the Prepared Meats International Product Developer, Business Manager, and Regulatory agency to align on and execute a winning growth strategy
- Work closely with the Transportation and Logistics teams to ensure superior customer service levels are maintained
- Work with the team to prepare budgets, period reviews and forecasting reports
- Recruitment and management of direct reports as we grow our business
- And other duties as assigned
- Be part of a company with an inspiring and unique vision, with a deep commitment to sustainability and expanding its leadership in sustainable protein across the World
- Competitive Health and Wellness benefits that start on your first day of employment
- Defined Contribution Pension Plan
- Commitment to Learning – courses, resources and tools provided to all employees
- Employee Assistance Program
What you will bring:
- 5+ years of successful sales experience in perishable food or meat businesses
- University degree or college diploma preferably in a business or Marketing concentration
- Experience managing brokers and/or leading teams
- Ability to travel to key international markets as required to develop relationships
- Deep understanding of what it takes to grow a business internationally
- Bi- or multi-lingual is an asset, with preference for Spanish and/or Mandarin
- Base level technical expertise in sliced and prepared meats is an asset
- Knowledge of global food/meat landscape competitors and key customers is an asset
- Ability to generate actionable insights from data and translate insights into customer sell stories
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills
- Excellent organization and planning skills with strong attention to detail
- Passion, learning agility, and an entrepreneurial spirit
- Understanding of P&L statements and the factors that influence profitability in a business
- Personal commitment to help Maple Leaf Foods grow and become the most sustainable protein company on Earth
Maple Leaf Foods is committed to ensuring the health and safety of all our employees. As part of this commitment, we have adopted a number of COVID-19 safety measures, including a requirement for all employees to be fully vaccinated by March 31, 2022 and to show proof of vaccination. In keeping with this policy, successful candidates will need to provide proof of vaccination by March 31, 2022 (or prior to their first day of work if the start date is after March 31, 2022). We will of course consider accommodations for anyone unable to be vaccinated following human rights and other applicable laws.”
We thank all applicants for their interest in exploring employment opportunities with Maple Leaf Foods however only those selected for an interview will be contacted. Applicants may be subject to a background check and must meet the security criteria designated for the position.
Maple Leaf Foods is committed to Employment Equity and maintaining a diverse workforce. Job applicants with a disability who require reasonable accommodation for any part of the application or hiring process can contact our Talent Attraction Team at email@example.com. Reasonable accommodations will be determined on a case-by-case basis and your request will be responded to as soon as possible
Maple Leaf Foods is committed to Employment Equity and maintaining a diverse workforce. Job applicants with a disability who require reasonable accommodation for any part of the application or hiring process can contact our Talent Attraction Team at firstname.lastname@example.org. Reasonable accommodations will be determined on a case-by-case basis and your request will be responded to as soon as possible.