POSITION(S): Barn Sanitation and Maintenance Lead Hand (Permanent, Full-time)
LOCATION: Hanover, Ontario
WAGE: $25.87/hour after 6 months of employment
Why Maple Leaf Foods?
Now is a very exciting time to join the Maple Leaf family. Maple Leaf Foods is located in Hanover, ON and presently employees approximately 140 employees between our farms and hatchery. Currently, the Hanover Hatchery has the ability to hatch approximately 900,000 chicks per week. Our work includes everything from receiving the eggs from our farms to distributing chicks to many growers across the province. As an egg gatherer, you would be responsible for the collection of eggs at the barn. You may be handling up to 16,000 eggs per day. The eggs gathered will be transported to our hatchery where they will be incubated and then hatched into chicks. The chicks are then distributed to growers across the province. It is important that you understand that we are an agricultural facility and therefore you will be handling live animals.
- Essential business through COVID-19
- Leading Consumer Protein Company
- Competitive Wages
- Pension & Benefit Opportunities
- Paid time off
- $1000 RETENTION BONUS!
The Barn Maintenance Lead Hand will assist with the maintenance of barns and equipment at the Hanover Breeder and Pullet farms and will also assist as required with the cleaning and disinfecting of the Hanover Breeder and Pullet Farms. The Barn Maintenance Lead Hand provides direction to the maintenance/sanitation team under the direction of the Barn Maintenance/Sanitation Supervisor and will work closely with the Farm Supervisors.
Required Experience and Education
- Training, coaching and counseling of employees
- Paperwork and documentation
- Organizing of crew activities
- Ensuring all company rules and regulations are followed
- Ensuring a safe work environment & participation in all Health & Safety directives
- Communication with Supervisor and crew members
- Cleaning company owned Breeder and Pullet Farm barns and equipment
- Assisting with preparing barns for cleanout – manure removal, equipment removal, etc.
- Assisting with setting up equipment in barns for flock placements
- Sanitation of barns and equipment using chemicals
- Operation of variety of machinery and hand tools
- Assist with maintenance and repairs to barns and equipment
- Assist with installation of new and changeover of old equipment
- Must travel to various farms
- Moving spiking birds
- Strong working relations with outside contractors
- Other duties as assigned
Demonstrated commitment to safe work practices
Must understand and follow all Animal Welfare/CHEQ/Biosecurity procedures
Proven ability in current position (attendance included)
Strong communication skills
Experience with sanitation processes
Capable of performing heavy work on a daily basis
Able to complete work without supervision
Experience in managing and coaching
Able to work in extreme weather hot or cold
Able to work longer hours on some days (e.g. early starts and/or late end times)
Ability to be available on weekends and respond to emergency calls outside normal working hours
Must have a valid driver’s license
Must be willing to obtain a restricted A license
Experience with feeding equipment and nesting equipment an asset
Poultry/farming background an asset
If you are willing to step into a new and exciting career, please submit send your resume and cover letter via:
We thank all applicants for their interest in exploring employment opportunities with Maple Leaf Foods however only those selected for an interview will be contacted. Applicants may be subject to a background check and must meet the security criteria designated for the position.
Maple Leaf Foods has an accommodation process for employees with disabilities. If you require a specific accommodation because of a disability need during your employment, please contact the local HR representative. Our accommodation policy can be provided upon request and in accessible format.