A Sustainable, Forward Thinking Protein Company
Maple Leaf Foods is a leading meat and plant-based protein company, employing over 11,500 people and publicly traded on the Toronto Stock Exchange. We are proud of our roots, which trace back well over 100 years, but our vision and purpose are decidedly forward looking. As we pursue our vision to become the most sustainable protein company on earth, we are committed to creating shared value – creative business value through addressing some of the world’s most critical social and environmental challenges. Our goal is to build a more sustainable food system, which provides nutritious affordable food, operates within planetary limits, cares for animals responsibly, and meaningfully engages with our communities to advance a more just society. We are advancing bold changes within Maple Leaf and more broadly within society to pursue our vision. We deeply believe this is the sustainable path to growth.
Our job is to make great food
Maple Leaf Foods embraces a strong values-based culture, where our people are deeply engaged in work that is purposeful, fast-paced and challenging. We cultivate an open, non-bureaucratic and inclusive workplace that fosters safety and transparency, along with individual leadership and accountability. Each Maple Leaf team member has a voice and plays an active role in helping all of us achieve our goals with passion and discipline. We support one another to grow professionally, to learn new skills and to take on challenging experiences in the spirit of continuous improvement.
Raise the Good in Food
We have united behind a shared purpose – to Raise the Good in Food. This spans a dramatic transformation of our flagship Maple Leaf brand, replacing anything artificial with simple, natural ingredients; investments and process changes to reduce our environmental footprint by 50% by 2025; building a diverse and inclusive culture where all talent thrives; becoming a leader in animal care; and advancing food security through our charitable foundation, the Maple Leaf Centre for Action on Food Security.
Our Leadership Values
Eight core values guide us in everything that we do.
- Do What’s Right
- Shared Value
- High Performance
- Diverse and Inclusive Teams
- Disciplined Decision Making
- Our Accountability
- Intense Curiosity
- Transparency and Humility
A snapshot of some of the exciting things you will lead and do:
- Perform Root Cause Analysis on Direct Product Cost Variances, including yield and labor
- Provide performance updates during the daily team meetings and shift change meetings
- Lead the start-up of a new production line producing new products
- Compare the current state machine performance with the Performance Guarantee documents for new equipment to assure machines are performing as stated by the vendor
- Work closely with cross function plant team to resolve any issues and for continuous improvement initiatives
- Completing the daily production schedule for their department
- Revising the daily production schedule to address any changes to priorities or unresolved issues that arise throughout the day
- Providing feedback to the scheduling department for any inefficiencies caused by a poor production schedule
- Ensure that all products are produced using Standard Operating Procedures
- Ensure that the HACCP control plan is adhered to
- Enforcing all Good Manufacturing Practices
- Escalate any SOP/HACCP noncompliance to management
- Manage the first contact with the hourly employees on any quality issue and escalating any issue to Management that they deem appropriate
- Ensure that all employees/machines work at the standard rates
- Manage the use of all service/fixed/clerical hourly labour costs to the production volumes
- Prepare daily labour surplus/shortage estimates
- Ensure that all products are produced as per SOPs
- Manage the first contact with the hourly employees on any issue that may affect yields
- Escalate any issue that may influence yields to their Plant Manager
- Maintain safe work environment by educating and directing employees on the correct use of equipment and resources and enforcing all Good Manufacturing Practices
- Manage the first contact with the hourly employees on any safety issue that arises in their department
- Escalate any significant safety issue that they deem appropriate to their Production Manager
- Complete the Accident Investigation Reports in a complete and timely manner
- Practice and model values based Direct Personal Leadership (DLP)
- Model and promote the six-sigma philosophy and methodologies
- Participate as a Subject Matter Expert in six sigma and non-six sigma projects as assigned
- Direct the hourly employees with clear, unambiguous, expectations and job performance feedback.
- Develop and motivate the hourly employees
- Administer the Employee Handbook
- Maintain currency with any relevant CFIA, Ministry of Labour, Ministry of Environment, TSSA, Health and Safety, Human Rights, or other required legislative bodies
- Sets a good example to all employees and provides effective leadership, coaching and training to everyone under his or her direction
- Ensures that a high level of morale is maintained among employees under their direction and creates an environment where associates are motivated to achieve company goals and objectives
- Ensures that company quality, efficiency, and production objectives are achieved in the areas under their supervision by establishing or adjusting work procedures as required
- Suggests and implements corrective actions to improve quality and productivity both within and, where possible, beyond the scope of their position
- Confers with managers and supervisors of other departments to coordinate inter-department activities and provide feedback regarding inter-related department issues
- Using sound technical judgement, ensures all production equipment/processes are operating at optimum rates and in accordance with SOPs
- Interprets company policies and procedures to associates including but not limited to HACCP, GMPs and health and safety requirements and ensures compliance of same
- Complies with all company and government legislated health and safety policies and practices
- Takes appropriate corrective action when personnel under their direction are in breach of company and/or government legislated HACCP, GMPs, ESA and health and safety policies and practices.
What we have to offer you:
- Be part of a company with an inspiring and unique vision, with a deep commitment to sustainability and expanding its leadership in sustainable protein across North America
- Professional and career development opportunities, supported by our commitment to talent development through our partnership with the Ivey School of Business.
- Competitive Health and Wellness benefits that start on your first day of employment
- Defined Contribution Pension Plan
- Commitment to Learning – courses, resources and tools provided to all employees
- Employee Assistance Program
What you will bring:
We thank all applicants for their interest in exploring employment opportunities with Maple Leaf Foods however only those selected for an interview will be contacted. Applicants may be subject to a background check and must meet the security criteria designated for the position.
- University degree and / or post-secondary education diploma (management studies, food science, engineering) or equivalent experience
- Management/supervisor experience in a manufacturing environment is a strong preference
- Intermediate to excellent computer skills (excel, work, outlook, etc.)
- Excellent problem-solving skills
- Good communication / listening skills
- Good organizational, interpersonal, and motivational skills
- Self-motivated continuous learner
Maple Leaf Foods is committed to Employment Equity and maintaining a diverse workforce. Job applicants with a disability who require reasonable accommodation for any part of the application or hiring process can contact our Talent Attraction Team at firstname.lastname@example.org. Reasonable accommodations will be determined on a case-by-case basis and your request will be responded to as soon as possible.