A Sustainable, Forward Thinking Protein Company
Maple Leaf Foods is a leading meat and plant-based protein company, employing over 11,500 people and publicly traded on the Toronto Stock Exchange. We are proud of our roots, which trace back well over 100 years, but our vision and purpose are decidedly forward looking. As we pursue our vision to become the most sustainable protein company on earth, we are committed to creating shared value – creative business value through addressing some of the world’s most critical social and environmental challenges. Our goal is to build a more sustainable food system, which provides nutritious affordable food, operates within planetary limits, cares for animals responsibly, and meaningfully engages with our communities to advance a more just society. We are advancing bold changes within Maple Leaf and more broadly within society to pursue our vision. We deeply believe this is the sustainable path to growth.
Our job is to make great food
Maple Leaf Foods embraces a strong values-based culture, where our people are deeply engaged in work that is purposeful, fast-paced and challenging. We cultivate an open, non-bureaucratic and inclusive workplace that fosters safety and transparency, along with individual leadership and accountability. Each Maple Leaf team member has a voice and plays an active role in helping all of us achieve our goals with passion and discipline. We support one another to grow professionally, to learn new skills and to take on challenging experiences in the spirit of continuous improvement.
Raise the Good in Food
We have united behind a shared purpose – to Raise the Good in Food. This spans a dramatic transformation of our flagship Maple Leaf brand, replacing anything artificial with simple, natural ingredients; investments and process changes to reduce our environmental footprint by 50% by 2025; building a diverse and inclusive culture where all talent thrives; becoming a leader in animal care; and advancing food security through our charitable foundation, the Maple Leaf Centre for Action on Food Security.
Our Leadership Values
Eight core values guide us in everything that we do.
- Do What’s Right
- Shared Value
- High Performance
- Diverse and Inclusive Teams
- Disciplined Decision Making
- Our Accountability
- Intense Curiosity
- Transparency and Humility
A snapshot of some of the exciting things you will lead and do:
- Lead a Team of FSQA Technicians to ensure success in meeting their responsibilities within the FSQA Department.
- Coach and motivate Team Members at the site on the importance of Food Safety and Quality by providing working knowledge and experience in the industry.
- Maintain, update, and ensure consistent execution of current FSQA Programs in compliance with MLF Corporate, CFIA, and BRC requirements.
- Lead the follow-up for non-conformance and issue corrective actions based on deviations found in plant process or resulting from customer complaints.
- Experience in navigating SAP-ECP, SAP-RD, SAP Easy DMS to manage inventory and related data at the production site and distribution centers.
- Manage the analysis of environmental swab data (ATP, TPC, Listeria spp., and Lactics) in LIMS to determine root cause of deficiencies and provide sanitation feedback on performance and improvements.
- Support third party audits (CFIA, BRC, Customer) and prepare/coach cross functional Managers before and during these audits.
- Conduct Food Safety, GMP, and Allergen training including revision of training programs as required.
- Assist with cross functional SOP development and ensure SOPs and related documents are in correct format, stored, and distributed as per manufacturing excellence requirements.
- Lead monthly GMP, interior, and exterior inspections with a cross-functional team to identify opportunities for improvement.
- Develop a constructive work environment through excellent interpersonal, team building, and communication skills.
- Plan staffing requirements according to production demands and departmental needs.
- Foster an attitude of continuous process improvement by leading initiatives with Six Sigma tools and methodology.
- Support FSQA functions on night shift which include preoperational inspection and environmental swabbing as required.
The successful candidate will be responsible for overseeing the Food Safety and Quality programs and protocols at the Walker Drive facility. The candidate is accountable for ensuring a safe, cost effective, and service-oriented FSQA Department while providing values-based Leadership
What we have to offer you:
What you will bring:
- Be part of a company with an inspiring and unique vision, with a deep commitment to sustainability and expanding its leadership in sustainable protein across North America
- Professional and career development opportunities, supported by our commitment to talent development through our partnership with the Ivey School of Business.
- Competitive Health and Wellness benefits that start on your first day of employment
- Defined Contribution Pension Plan
- Commitment to Learning – courses, resources and tools provided to all employees
- Employee Assistance Program
- Bachelor of Science in Food Science or related field of study.
- 3-5 years progressive technical experience in a fast-paced food manufacturing facility.
- Previous supervisory experience and proven ability to manage a high performing team.
- Third party food safety training or certification in HACCP, auditing, and/or GFSI standards.
- Working knowledge of manufacturing data systems such as SAP and LIMS.
We thank all applicants for their interest in exploring employment opportunities with Maple Leaf Foods however only those selected for an interview will be contacted. Applicants may be subject to a background check and must meet the security criteria designated for the position.
Maple Leaf Foods is committed to Employment Equity and maintaining a diverse workforce. Job applicants with a disability who require reasonable accommodation for any part of the application or hiring process can contact our Talent Attraction Team at email@example.com
. Reasonable accommodations will be determined on a case-by-case basis and your request will be responded to as soon as possible