Sr. Finance Analyst - Operations
A Sustainable, Forward Thinking Protein Company
Maple Leaf Foods is a leading meat and plant-based protein company, employing over 11,500 people and publicly traded on the Toronto Stock Exchange. We are proud of our roots, which trace back well over 100 years, but our vision and purpose are decidedly forward looking. As we pursue our vision to become the most sustainable protein company on earth, we are committed to creating shared value – creative business value through addressing some of the world’s most critical social and environmental challenges. Our goal is to build a more sustainable food system, which provides nutritious affordable food, operates within planetary limits, cares for animals responsibly, and meaningfully engages with our communities to advance a more just society. We are advancing bold changes within Maple Leaf and more broadly within society to pursue our vision. We deeply believe this is the sustainable path to growth.
Our job is to make great food
Maple Leaf Foods embraces a strong values-based culture, where our people are deeply engaged in work that is purposeful, fast-paced and challenging. We cultivate an open, non-bureaucratic and inclusive workplace that fosters safety and transparency, along with individual leadership and accountability. Each Maple Leaf team member has a voice and plays an active role in helping all of us achieve our goals with passion and discipline. We support one another to grow professionally, to learn new skills and to take on challenging experiences in the spirit of continuous improvement.
Raise the Good in Food
We have united behind a shared purpose – to Raise the Good in Food. This spans a dramatic transformation of our flagship Maple Leaf brand, replacing anything artificial with simple, natural ingredients; investments and process changes to reduce our environmental footprint by 50% by 2025; building a diverse and inclusive culture where all talent thrives; becoming a leader in animal care; and advancing food security through our charitable foundation, the Maple Leaf Centre for Action on Food Security.
Our Leadership Values
Six core values guide us in everything that we do.
Senior Finance Analyst – Operations
- Do what’s right
- Deliver winning results
- Build collaborative teams
- Get things done in a fact-based, disciplined way
- Learn and grow, inwardly and outwardly
- Dare to be transparent, passionate and humble
This position provides financial leadership, support and analysis to the plant management team. The role requires that the incumbent work closely with plant management to identify opportunities to improve results within the plant. This position is responsible to execute standard control processes on assets and ensure accuracy of all plant financial reporting.
A snapshot of some of the exciting things you will lead and do:
What we have to offer you:
- Ensure all company financial policies and procedures are adhered to.
- Provide timely and accurate daily and weekly cost reporting to the plant management team.
- Provide accurate weekly / monthly forecasts for overall plant results in a timely manner.
- Lead period-end financial activities as required.
- Interpret financial results.
- Identify, recommend and support cost improvement opportunities.
- Play an integral role in the development of new product costing (from development to launch) and ensure current product costs accurately reflect the manufacturing process by product.
- Assist in development of costing and reporting.
- Support tracking of cost savings for capital projects.
- Perform periodic analysis of overhead spending and provide management with the information required to make future spending decisions.
- Work with the plant team to ensure that financial documents and business case write ups provide pertinent analysis and sufficient justification to support capital expenditures.
- Manage the overall budget process for the plant. Work with functional managers to ensure budget submission is complete, accurate and on time.
- On site responsibility to ensure accounting procedures adhere to Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP) and approved corporate policies.
- On site C3 custodian to ensure critical inventory and purchasing procedures are in control, and responsible for Quarterly Self Test submissions.
- Provide guidance and coaching to non-finance managers regarding issues of financial control and compliance.
- Support Production Management and Material Control with regular inventory cycle count review and perform re-counts and random verification checking when required / applicable.
What you will bring:
- Be part of a company with an inspiring and unique vision, with a deep commitment to sustainability and expanding its leadership in sustainable protein across North America
- Professional and career development opportunities
- Competitive Health and Wellness benefits that start on your first day of employment
- Defined Contribution Pension Plan
- Commitment to Learning – courses, resources and tools provided to all employees
- Employee Assistance Program
- Post Secondary Education in a finance/business related program required
- 2+ years of progressive manufacturing costing experience in an ERP environment (SAP preferred)
- Actively working towards a professional accounting designation program (CGA, CA, CMA)
- Ability to work independently
- Strong attention to detail
- Strong problem-solving skills
- Ability to coach and mentor others
- Excellent planning and organizational skills
- Ability to manage multiple priorities and deadlines
- Ability to work and drive improvements within a team environment
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills with the ability to present financial information to non- financial functions.
- Advanced knowledge of MS office and experience with SAP
We thank all applicants for their interest in exploring employment opportunities with Maple Leaf Foods however only those selected for an interview will be contacted. Applicants may be subject to a background check and must meet the security criteria designated for the position.
Maple Leaf Foods is committed to Employment Equity and maintaining a diverse workforce. Job applicants with a disability who require reasonable accommodation for any part of the application or hiring process can contact our Talent Attraction Team at firstname.lastname@example.org
. Reasonable accommodations will be determined on a case-by-case basis and your request will be responded to as soon as possible