Sanitation Supervisor (Overnight)
A Sustainable, Forward Thinking Protein Company
Maple Leaf Foods is a leading meat and plant-based protein company, employing over 11,500 people and publicly traded on the Toronto Stock Exchange. We are proud of our roots, which trace back well over 100 years, but our vision and purpose are decidedly forward looking. As we pursue our vision to become the most sustainable protein company on earth, we are committed to creating shared value – creative business value through addressing some of the world’s most critical social and environmental challenges. Our goal is to build a more sustainable food system, which provides nutritious affordable food, operates within planetary limits, cares for animals responsibly, and meaningfully engages with our communities to advance a more just society. We are advancing bold changes within Maple Leaf and more broadly within society to pursue our vision. We deeply believe this is the sustainable path to growth.
Our job is to make great food
Maple Leaf Foods embraces a strong values-based culture, where our people are deeply engaged in work that is purposeful, fast-paced and challenging. We cultivate an open, non-bureaucratic and inclusive workplace that fosters safety and transparency, along with individual leadership and accountability. Each Maple Leaf team member has a voice and plays an active role in helping all of us achieve our goals with passion and discipline. We support one another to grow professionally, to learn new skills and to take on challenging experiences in the spirit of continuous improvement.
Raise the Good in Food
We have united behind a shared purpose – to Raise the Good in Food. This spans a dramatic transformation of our flagship Maple Leaf brand, replacing anything artificial with simple, natural ingredients; investments and process changes to reduce our environmental footprint by 50% by 2025; building a diverse and inclusive culture where all talent thrives; becoming a leader in animal care; and advancing food security through our charitable foundation, the Maple Leaf Centre for Action on Food Security.
Our Leadership Values
Eight core values guide us in everything that we do.
- Do What’s Right
- Shared Value
- High Performance
- Diverse and Inclusive Teams
- Disciplined Decision Making
- Our Accountability
- Intense Curiosity
- Transparency and Humility
The Overnight Sanitation Supervisor is a solutions-oriented position responsible for effectively supervising the cleaning and sanitation of processing equipment, utensils and the entire plant environment. The Sanitation Supervisor will be reporting to the Maple Leaf Sanitation Manager. The incumbent is responsible for the execution of the Sanitation Program and taking corrective action to prevent product contamination. The person must ensure all cleaning and sanitation is executed in compliance with GMPs, Safety, WHMIS, HACCP, CFIA and AMI “Principles of Sanitary Design” in addition to Maple Leaf Foods Corporate standards.
A snapshot of some of the exciting things you will lead and do:
- Actively involved and represent Sanitation requirements in all plant programs.
- Supervise, motivate and lead the Third-Party Sanitation Contract workers.
- Oversee the cleaning and sanitization of equipment, surfaces, utensils and plant environment by providing direction, working ‘hands on’ to motivate and provide technical support to all Third-Party Sanitation employees to ensure Sanitation process is completed effectively and on time. Work and provide technical support to Maple Leaf plant employees as required.
- As the person available at the start of the plant sanitation window, communicate with the Third-Party Contract site leader and supervisors on schedule changes, task requests and performance feedback that occurred during the day.
- Ensure all sanitation related systems such as: CIP systems operated by the Third Party, Production, Chemical Dispensing systems, water systems and air handling systems are fully operational. Verify chemicals are being used at the correct concentrations and consistency. If deviations occur, trouble shoot the problem, determine root cause and implement corrective actions. Notify and escalate as required. Ensure that all Sanitation related documents including daily titration checks, training. are completed and filled appropriately.
- Oversee the inventory of sanitation supplies including: chemicals, tools and PPE. Issue items as required and manage replenishment based on maintaining a minimum safety stock. Issue replacement items based on agreed to terms.
- Perform regular Sanitation audits to ensure that the contract cleaners are following GSP, the ML 8 Steps of Sanitation and cleaning instructions JTA, SSOP’s. Notify and escalate as required. Update/revise JTAs, SSOP’s as required. Work with the contract cleaners on continuous improvement activities that improve either the efficiency or effectiveness of their work.
- Provide coverage for the MLF Sanitation Site Leader (Manager) in his absence. This will include ordering of chemicals, downloading of data loggers, updating Master Sanitation schedule, gathering and filing of paperwork, deal with day to day issues and attend require site meetings like HACCP, Health & Safety etc.
- Complete competency assessments of all the Third-Party Sanitation team members using the Alchemy Coach.
- Measure and analyze Sanitation performance metrics.
- Will be responsible for doing audits and verification on high risk non-daily tasks such as Steam Tenting equipment and Deep cleaning equipment as required.
- Support and execute the Company’s Food Safety programs at the facility in conjunction with Quality Assurance, Microbiology and Food Safety. Provide input on sanitation excellence across the organization
- Support and promote the company’s health and safety program, maintain a safe working environment and ensure continued compliance with the Occupational Health and Safety Act and JHSC recommendations.
- Other responsibilities as required.
- Shift times may vary according to the needs of the business.
What we have to offer you:
- Be part of a company with an inspiring and unique vision, with a deep commitment to sustainability and expanding its leadership in sustainable protein across North America
- Professional and career development opportunities, supported by our commitment to talent development through our partnership with the Ivey School of Business.
- Competitive Health and Wellness benefits that start on your first day of employment
- Defined Contribution Pension Plan
- Commitment to Learning – courses, resources and tools provided to all employees
- Employee Assistance Program
What you will bring:
- Relevant Post-secondary education
- 3-5 years of supervisory experience with Sanitation, ideally in a food processing facility.
- Knowledge and experience with Sanitation as it relates to Food Safety.
- Aptitude for continuous learning.
- Must be flexible to work varying shifts and weekends (demands of the business)
- Strong ability to communicate (i.e. read, speak and write) in English
- Proficient in MS Office tools (Excel, Word, Pivot Tables)
- Knowledge of industry related quality systems and inspection programs, cleaning systems (CIP, COP) and chemicals
- Knowledge of HACCP, GMP, WHMIS, First Aid, Food Safety, Basic Food Microbiology, Lock Out and Tag Out, and Health and Safety Regulations
- Able to work in cold, humid or wet manufacturing environment, work with chemicals and standing and walking for extended periods of time
We thank all applicants for their interest in exploring employment opportunities with Maple Leaf Foods however only those selected for an interview will be contacted. Applicants may be subject to a background check and must meet the security criteria designated for the position.
Maple Leaf Foods is committed to Employment Equity and maintaining a diverse workforce. Job applicants with a disability who require reasonable accommodation for any part of the application or hiring process can contact our Talent Attraction Team at firstname.lastname@example.org
. Reasonable accommodations will be determined on a case-by-case basis and your request will be responded to as soon as possible