A Sustainable, Forward Thinking Protein Company
Maple Leaf Foods is a leading meat and plant-based protein company, employing over 11,500 people and publicly traded on the Toronto Stock Exchange. We are proud of our roots, which trace back well over 100 years, but our vision and purpose are decidedly forward looking. As we pursue our vision to become the most sustainable protein company on earth, we are committed to creating shared value – creative business value through addressing some of the world’s most critical social and environmental challenges. Our goal is to build a more sustainable food system, which provides nutritious affordable food, operates within planetary limits, cares for animals responsibly, and meaningfully engages with our communities to advance a more just society. We are advancing bold changes within Maple Leaf and more broadly within society to pursue our vision. We deeply believe this is the sustainable path to growth.
Our job is to make great food
Maple Leaf Foods embraces a strong values-based culture, where our people are deeply engaged in work that is purposeful, fast-paced and challenging. We cultivate an open, non-bureaucratic and inclusive workplace that fosters safety and transparency, along with individual leadership and accountability. Each Maple Leaf team member has a voice and plays an active role in helping all of us achieve our goals with passion and discipline. We support one another to grow professionally, to learn new skills and to take on challenging experiences in the spirit of continuous improvement.
Raise the Good in Food
We have united behind a shared purpose – to Raise the Good in Food. This spans a dramatic transformation of our flagship Maple Leaf brand, replacing anything artificial with simple, natural ingredients; investments and process changes to reduce our environmental footprint by 50% by 2025; building a diverse and inclusive culture where all talent thrives; becoming a leader in animal care; and advancing food security through our charitable foundation, the Maple Leaf Centre for Action on Food Security.
Our Leadership Values
Eight core values guide us in everything that we do.
- Do What’s Right
- Shared Value
- High Performance
- Diverse and Inclusive Teams
- Disciplined Decision Making
- Our Accountability
- Intense Curiosity
- Transparency and Humility
The Laboratory Assistant is responsible for the assurance of accurate sample receiving, and all related duties. This includes following occupational health and safety standards and supporting the laboratory programs through good laboratory practices. The Laboratory Assistant is organized, able to multi-task, and has a high attention to detail
A snapshot of some of the exciting things you will lead and do:
- Sample receipt: Receive all customer submissions and ensure the sample integrity is maintained following aseptic techniques and record sample condition (including, but not limited to temperature checks, submission form accuracy, and test requests). Properly identify lab samples for analysis and assign report numbers as appropriate. Provide aid to customers as requested.
- Sample log in: Enter samples into LIMS and any associated paperwork. Verify the accuracy of data entered. Label and prepare samples for analysis with LIMS numbers assigned. Ensure all samples are redirected to the appropriate area.
- SAP receiver: Receive items into SAP, acquire C of A's for inventory. Receive and store inventory as per lab protocols.
- Sample Preparation: Perform preliminary sample preparation using aseptic technique to label, scale and grind samples for analysis. Conduct pre-analytical testing on packaging and samples.
- Media/Solution Prep: Prepare solutions, reagents and /or growth mediums. May require handling of hazardous chemical/materials.
- Housekeeping: Using Six Sigma tools to maintain an organized lab while maintaining good housekeeping practices and notifying 1-up managers of any issues associated with the lab environment or equipment. Handle waste disposal and glassware cleaning
- Perform startup/ shut down procedures for the laboratory. This may include equipment start-up/shut down, laboratory disinfection / cleaning, incubator/ refrigerator checks, balance checks, pH etc.
- Calibrate and maintain testing equipment and record calibration / maintenance activities and results as per laboratory technical procedures and/or work instructions.
- Enter test results/ data into the laboratory database. Enter data onto laboratory forms. Verify the accuracy of data entered.
- Assist in the training of newly hired laboratory staff.
- May involve working a rotating shift schedule, including weekends.
- The Laboratory Assistant is responsible for the knowledge of and compliance to all aspects of the Quality Management System.
What we have to offer you:
- Be part of a company with an inspiring and unique vision, with a deep commitment to sustainability and expanding its leadership in sustainable protein across North America
- Professional and career development opportunities, supported by our commitment to talent development through our partnership with the Ivey School of Business.
- Competitive Health and Wellness benefits that start on your first day of employment
- Defined Contribution Pension Plan
- Commitment to Learning – courses, resources and tools provided to all employees
- Employee Assistance Program
What you will bring:
We thank all applicants for their interest in exploring employment opportunities with Maple Leaf Foods however only those selected for an interview will be contacted. Applicants may be subject to a background check and must meet the security criteria designated for the position.
- High School Diploma, or B.Sc. or Technical Diploma in relevant sciences would be an asset, such as Microbiology, Chemistry or Biology/Food Science with emphasis on food/environmental
- Previous laboratory experience
- Strong multi-tasking capability and comfortable with routine work
- Competent computer skills
- Strong interpersonal skills and be a part of a functional team
- Be values oriented
- Required to work Tuesday to Saturday shift schedule
Maple Leaf Foods is committed to Employment Equity and maintaining a diverse workforce. Job applicants with a disability who require reasonable accommodation for any part of the application or hiring process can contact our Talent Attraction Team at email@example.com. Reasonable accommodations will be determined on a case-by-case basis and your request will be responded to as soon as possible.