A Sustainable, Forward Thinking Protein Company
Maple Leaf Foods is a leading meat and plant-based protein company, employing over 11,500 people and publicly traded on the Toronto Stock Exchange. We are proud of our roots, which trace back well over 100 years, but our vision and purpose are decidedly forward looking. As we pursue our vision to become the most sustainable protein company on earth, we are committed to creating shared value – creative business value through addressing some of the world’s most critical social and environmental challenges. Our goal is to build a more sustainable food system, which provides nutritious affordable food, operates within planetary limits, cares for animals responsibly, and meaningfully engages with our communities to advance a more just society. We are advancing bold changes within Maple Leaf and more broadly within society to pursue our vision. We deeply believe this is the sustainable path to growth.
Our job is to make great food
Maple Leaf Foods embraces a strong values-based culture, where our people are deeply engaged in work that is purposeful, fast-paced and challenging. We cultivate an open, non-bureaucratic and inclusive workplace that fosters safety and transparency, along with individual leadership and accountability. Each Maple Leaf team member has a voice and plays an active role in helping all of us achieve our goals with passion and discipline. We support one another to grow professionally, to learn new skills and to take on challenging experiences in the spirit of continuous improvement.
Raise the Good in Food
We have united behind a shared purpose – to Raise the Good in Food. This spans a dramatic transformation of our flagship Maple Leaf brand, replacing anything artificial with simple, natural ingredients; investments and process changes to reduce our environmental footprint by 50% by 2025; building a diverse and inclusive culture where all talent thrives; becoming a leader in animal care; and advancing food security through our charitable foundation, the Maple Leaf Centre for Action on Food Security.
Our Leadership Values
Eight core values guide us in everything that we do.
- Do What’s Right
- Shared Value
- High Performance
- Diverse and Inclusive Teams
- Disciplined Decision Making
- Our Accountability
- Intense Curiosity
- Transparency and Humility
Reporting to the Site Leader the HR Manager leads and influences the HR activities at the unionized Saskatoon McLeod manufacturing facility and Midwest Distribution Centre. The Human Resources Manager has the direct accountability for ensuring that the Human Resources planning and results (Performance Management, Recruitment, Recognition, Training and Development, Engagement and Communication) are aligned to meet the Plant and MLF operations and business needs. This leader should clearly know and understand the value of maximizing employee discretionary performance, through an engaging leadership style. They should clearly understand that sustainable long term results can only be achieved through a team that understands and focuses their energy on the key objectives that drive success, has the skill set needed to execute against the business need, and has a high desire to contribute and win.
A snapshot of some of the exciting things you will lead and do:
- Manage the Human Resources function to ensure that key HR initiatives are aligned with the Plant operational strategy
- Primary deliverables include tools and interventions in the areas of performance management, work environment practices, rewards and recognition, retention, leadership development, compensation, employee development and advancement, diversity and employee satisfaction
- Provides advice and guidance in all Labour Relations matters, including grievance/dispute resolution, interpretation and application of the CBA and all disciplinary matters
- Ensure that Human Resources Key Performance Indicators such as Attendance, Turnover, Retention are tracked and monitored
- Facilitate execution of plant operations and corporate programs (e.g. succession planning, orientation, Performance Planning, and compensation, etc.)
- Prepares and administers the HR budget and ensuring effective control to ensure that spending is within budget
- Drives Continuous Improvement initiatives related to Human Resources
- Develops and drives the execution of an annual HR Plan for the facility which focuses on the delivery of key Plant and Corporate HR initiatives
What we have to offer you:
- Be part of a company with an inspiring and unique vision, with a deep commitment to sustainability and expanding its leadership in sustainable protein across North America
- Professional and career development opportunities, supported by our commitment to talent development through our partnership with the Ivey School of Business.
- Competitive Health and Wellness benefits that start on your first day of employment
- Defined Contribution Pension Plan
- Commitment to Learning – courses, resources and tools provided to all employees
- Employee Assistance Program
What you will bring:
We thank all applicants for their interest in exploring employment opportunities with Maple Leaf Foods however only those selected for an interview will be contacted. Applicants may be subject to a background check and must meet the security criteria designated for the position.
- Minimum 7 – 10 years of progressive Human Resources experience, ideally in a unionized manufacturing environment and a minimum 3 years managerial experience
- Post-secondary degree with a concentration in Human Resource Management, business or related field
- Knowledge of applicable legislation and law
- Initiative, drive, demonstrated leadership and excellent communication skills
- Results orientated, work as part of a functional team and be an exceptional fit with our Maple Leaf Leadership Values
- Excellent planning and organizational skills plus ability to manage multiple priorities
- Strong problem-solving skills
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills
- Creative out of the box thinker that is results driven
- Advanced skills with Microsoft Office (primarily Excel and Word)
Maple Leaf Foods is committed to Employment Equity and maintaining a diverse workforce. Job applicants with a disability who require reasonable accommodation for any part of the application or hiring process can contact our Talent Attraction Team at firstname.lastname@example.org. Reasonable accommodations will be determined on a case-by-case basis and your request will be responded to as soon as possible.