Sr. Finance Analyst - Internal Audit & Compliance
A Sustainable, Forward Thinking Protein Company
Maple Leaf Foods is a leading meat and plant-based protein company, employing over 11,500 people and publicly traded on the Toronto Stock Exchange. We are proud of our roots, which trace back well over 100 years, but our vision and purpose are decidedly forward looking. As we pursue our vision to become the most sustainable protein company on earth, we are committed to creating shared value – creative business value through addressing some of the world’s most critical social and environmental challenges. Our goal is to build a more sustainable food system, which provides nutritious affordable food, operates within planetary limits, cares for animals responsibly, and meaningfully engages with our communities to advance a more just society. We are advancing bold changes within Maple Leaf and more broadly within society to pursue our vision. We deeply believe this is the sustainable path to growth.
Our job is to make great food
Maple Leaf Foods embraces a strong values-based culture, where our people are deeply engaged in work that is purposeful, fast-paced and challenging. We cultivate an open, non-bureaucratic and inclusive workplace that fosters safety and transparency, along with individual leadership and accountability. Each Maple Leaf team member has a voice and plays an active role in helping all of us achieve our goals with passion and discipline. We support one another to grow professionally, to learn new skills and to take on challenging experiences in the spirit of continuous improvement.
Raise the Good in Food
We have united behind a shared purpose – to Raise the Good in Food. This spans a dramatic transformation of our flagship Maple Leaf brand, replacing anything artificial with simple, natural ingredients; investments and process changes to reduce our environmental footprint by 50% by 2025; building a diverse and inclusive culture where all talent thrives; becoming a leader in animal care; and advancing food security through our charitable foundation, the Maple Leaf Centre for Action on Food Security.
Our Leadership Values
Eight core values guide us in everything that we do.
- Do What’s Right
- Shared Value
- High Performance
- Diverse and Inclusive Teams
- Disciplined Decision Making
- Our Accountability
- Intense Curiosity
- Transparency and Humility
The Senior Financial Analyst position is an exciting role that provides exposure to all areas of the business through the execution of financial, operational, commercial and information technology related reviews. Our work provides team members with an opportunity to be well rounded and uniquely positioned to pursue a long-term career path within or outside of Finance.
Reporting to the Manager, Internal Audit & Compliance, the Senior Financial Analyst performs independent assignments to assist the audit committee and management in drawing conclusions on the adequacy of the design and operating effectiveness of the organization’s internal controls and compliance with National Instrument 52-109.
A snapshot of some of the exciting things you will lead and do:
The Senior Financial Analyst will be primarily responsible for leading and/or performing internal audits on the annual risk based audit plan, with a value-added mindset, and assessing the design and operational effectiveness of key internal controls over financial reporting (ICFR) and disclosure controls and procedures (DCP), in accordance with National Instrument 52-109.
Job responsibilities include execution of internal audit and compliance reviews, including the development of process documentation (i.e. flow chart, narrative, and risk and control matrix) and audit procedures designed to assess the efficiency and effectiveness of the programs and controls established to mitigate key risks, and summarizing and communicating findings to key stakeholders (including senior management). The Individual will also be responsible for incorporating data analytics into the audit process and advancing our overall audit methodology.
What we have to offer you:
- Be part of a company with an inspiring and unique vision, with a deep commitment to sustainability and expanding its leadership in sustainable protein across North America
- Professional and career development opportunities, supported by our commitment to talent development through our partnership with the Ivey School of Business.
- Competitive Health and Wellness benefits that start on your first day of employment
- Defined Contribution Pension Plan
- Commitment to Learning – courses, resources and tools provided to all employees
- Employee Assistance Program
What you will bring:
We thank all applicants for their interest in exploring employment opportunities with Maple Leaf Foods however only those selected for an interview will be contacted. Applicants may be subject to a background check and must meet the security criteria designated for the position.
- Results orientated high performer
- Personable, engaging and relationship builder
- Proactive, organized and deadline driven
- Superior communication skills, both written and verbal
- Ability to work independently in routine and non-routine environments
- Advanced skills in Microsoft Excel, Word and PowerPoint
- Information Technology / SAP knowledge is an asset
- Some (i.e. about 10%) of out of town travel will be required
- CPA, CA, CIA and CISA designations would be an advantage
- 3-5 years of experience in audit/assurance (big 4 experience is an asset)
Maple Leaf Foods is committed to Employment Equity and maintaining a diverse workforce. Job applicants with a disability who require reasonable accommodation for any part of the application or hiring process can contact our Talent Attraction Team at firstname.lastname@example.org. Reasonable accommodations will be determined on a case-by-case basis and your request will be responded to as soon as possible.