Regulatory Specialist - Contract
A Sustainable, Forward Thinking Protein Company
Maple Leaf Foods is a leading meat and plant-based protein company, employing over 11,500 people and publicly traded on the Toronto Stock Exchange. We are proud of our roots, which trace back well over 100 years, but our vision and purpose are decidedly forward looking. As we pursue our vision to become the most sustainable protein company on earth, we are committed to creating shared value – creative business value through addressing some of the world’s most critical social and environmental challenges. Our goal is to build a more sustainable food system, which provides nutritious affordable food, operates within planetary limits, cares for animals responsibly, and meaningfully engages with our communities to advance a more just society. We are advancing bold changes within Maple Leaf and more broadly within society to pursue our vision. We deeply believe this is the sustainable path to growth.
Our job is to make great food
Maple Leaf Foods embraces a strong values-based culture, where our people are deeply engaged in work that is purposeful, fast-paced and challenging. We cultivate an open, non-bureaucratic and inclusive workplace that fosters safety and transparency, along with individual leadership and accountability. Each Maple Leaf team member has a voice and plays an active role in helping all of us achieve our goals with passion and discipline. We support one another to grow professionally, to learn new skills and to take on challenging experiences in the spirit of continuous improvement.
Raise the Good in Food
We have united behind a shared purpose – to Raise the Good in Food. This spans a dramatic transformation of our flagship Maple Leaf brand, replacing anything artificial with simple, natural ingredients; investments and process changes to reduce our environmental footprint by 50% by 2025; building a diverse and inclusive culture where all talent thrives; becoming a leader in animal care; and advancing food security through our charitable foundation, the Maple Leaf Centre for Action on Food Security.
Our Leadership Values
Eight core values guide us in everything that we do.
- Do What’s Right
- Shared Value
- High Performance
- Diverse and Inclusive Teams
- Disciplined Decision Making
- Our Accountability
- Intense Curiosity
- Transparency and Humility
As part of the Compliance team, you will support the SKU commercialization through the Product Development pipeline. This position will appeal to individuals who enjoy the challenge of participating in the creation and execution of new and improved products. As the Subject Matter Expert of all things Regulatory, you will work with the Speed to Market Team, influencing product design decisions, work with Ingredient suppliers in documentation requirements, and ensure that your packaging and labels meet regulatory requirements for the Market in which they are sold (Canada and Export).
A snapshot of some of the exciting things you will lead and do:
- Screen technical information related to ingredients, product formulations, methods of preparation, nutrition analyses, allergens, etc. for accuracy and completeness.
- Provide Business units with regulatory guidance related to opportunities for promoting ingredient and nutritional attributes of new and existing products.
- Work collaboratively with cross‐functional stakeholders to deliver on product commercialization plans to meet internal initiatives and customer timelines.
- Be the voice of Regulatory Compliance during project kick-off meetings to ensure products are designed with regulations in mind.
- Advise Product Development and Marketing on regulatory interpretation for questions on ingredients and nutrition claims that are covered by current regulatory guidelines.
- Support the packaging design process by reviewing claims, romance copy and artwork formatting.
- Review and approve regulated label information for new products and packaging changes.
- Work directly with our Ingredient suppliers to ensure proper documentation of all incoming materials is obtained.
- Utilize SAP RD to generate ingredient lists and nutrition panels for products and to ensure product recipes adhere to the Regulations and are approved prior to production.
- Create and review the Mandatory Label Copy which adheres to the Regulations for the Market where sold.
- Apply the regulatory requirements for Canadian and US packaging, such as mandatory nutrition labeling, value added claims, nutrient content claims, ingredient declaration and allergen labeling.
- Support with compliance analytics and metrics to ensure certifications are up to date and Marketing Operations Vitals are exported and communicated with efficiency
What we have to offer you:
- Be part of a company with an inspiring and unique vision, with a deep commitment to sustainability and expanding its leadership in sustainable protein across North America
- Professional and career development opportunities, supported by our commitment to talent development through our partnership with the Ivey School of Business.
- Competitive Health and Wellness benefits that start on your first day of employment
- Defined Contribution Pension Plan
- Commitment to Learning – courses, resources and tools provided to all employees
- Employee Assistance Program
What you will bring:
We thank all applicants for their interest in exploring employment opportunities with Maple Leaf Foods however only those selected for an interview will be contacted. Applicants may be subject to a background check and must meet the security criteria designated for the position.
- Strong understanding of Regulatory Labeling landscape for various markets with strong focus on Canada and US.
- A team player with well‐developed “people interaction” skill set.
- Strong system skills, including the ability to work with MS Office (specifically excel), SAP (specifically ECP and RD).
- Proactive and performance driven, have a bias for action and be able to work under pressure in a fast paced, dynamic environment.
- University degree in a related discipline, e.g. Food Science, Quality Assurance or Nutrition, Science or College Diploma in Regulatory Affairs/Quality Assurance, or 2+ years of previous experience with Regulatory labeling requirements.
Maple Leaf Foods is committed to Employment Equity and maintaining a diverse workforce. Job applicants with a disability who require reasonable accommodation for any part of the application or hiring process can contact our Talent Attraction Team at email@example.com. Reasonable accommodations will be determined on a case-by-case basis and your request will be responded to as soon as possible.