A Sustainable, Forward Thinking Protein Company
Maple Leaf Foods is a leading meat and plant-based protein company, employing over 11,500 people and publicly traded on the Toronto Stock Exchange. We are proud of our roots, which trace back well over 100 years, but our vision and purpose are decidedly forward looking. As we pursue our vision to become the most sustainable protein company on earth, we are committed to creating shared value – creative business value through addressing some of the world’s most critical social and environmental challenges. Our goal is to build a more sustainable food system, which provides nutritious affordable food, operates within planetary limits, cares for animals responsibly, and meaningfully engages with our communities to advance a more just society. We are advancing bold changes within Maple Leaf and more broadly within society to pursue our vision. We deeply believe this is the sustainable path to growth.
Our job is to make great food
Maple Leaf Foods embraces a strong values-based culture, where our people are deeply engaged in work that is purposeful, fast-paced and challenging. We cultivate an open, non-bureaucratic and inclusive workplace that fosters safety and transparency, along with individual leadership and accountability. Each Maple Leaf team member has a voice and plays an active role in helping all of us achieve our goals with passion and discipline. We support one another to grow professionally, to learn new skills and to take on challenging experiences in the spirit of continuous improvement.
Raise the Good in Food
We have united behind a shared purpose – to Raise the Good in Food. This spans a dramatic transformation of our flagship Maple Leaf brand, replacing anything artificial with simple, natural ingredients; investments and process changes to reduce our environmental footprint by 50% by 2025; building a diverse and inclusive culture where all talent thrives; becoming a leader in animal care; and advancing food security through our charitable foundation, the Maple Leaf Centre for Action on Food Security.
Our Leadership Values
Eight core values guide us in everything that we do.
- Do What’s Right
- Shared Value
- High Performance
- Diverse and Inclusive Teams
- Disciplined Decision Making
- Our Accountability
- Intense Curiosity
- Transparency and Humility
The FSQA Supervisor is responsible for administering Quality and Food Safety programs and protocols at the McLeod facility. The candidate is responsible for ensuring a safe, cost effective and service-oriented department, while providing values-based leadership to their direct reports and other employees in the department.
A snapshot of some of the exciting things you will lead and do:
- Supervise both hourly and salary employees, ensuring that tasks are conducted consistently, efficiently and meet the needs of the business.
- Planning FSQA / pre-op staffing requirements according to staffing levels and production demands, including approving of hours on a weekly basis and vacation scheduling.
- Maintain, update and ensure consistent execution of current FSQA programs and internal SOPs and compliance with BU, CFIA and BRC requirements.
- Assist with analysis of sanitation data to determine root cause of deficiencies and provide sanitation team feedback on performance and necessary improvements.
- Assist with third party audits (HACCP, BRC, customer) and prepare/coach cross functional managers before and during these audits.
- Assist in follow up and issue any corrective actions, if necessary, based on deviations found in plant process or resulting from customer complaints.
- Ensure that pest control program is being maintained and liaise with operator to ensure that all MLF and regulatory items are being met.
- Ensure that Allergen program is being followed to ensure that all MLF and regulatory items are being met.
- Conduct annual and new employee GMP and allergen training and revise training programs as required.
- Assist with cross functional SOP development and ensure that facility SOPs and related documents are in correct format, properly stored and distributed as per manufacturing excellence requirements.
- Conducting monthly GMP, internal and external audits with cross-functional team and identifying opportunities for improvement.
- Assist cross functional team completing food safety incidents and investigating customer complaints.
- Provide functional support to crisis team including backing up QA manager as recall coordinator.
- Developing a constructive work environment through excellent interpersonal, team building skills, open communications, encouraging input and constructive performance management.
- Maintaining an attitude of continuous process improvement and training of employees at hourly and salary levels.
- Take lead on executing various initiatives to improve the quality and safety of our process and products.
- Support QA and Food Safety functions on night shift as required.
- Support to Black Belts and Green Belt projects.
- Ensure Quality and Food Safety Hold & Release process is maintained, including SAP
- Ensure Pest Control program is currently functioning
What we have to offer you:
- Be part of a company with an inspiring and unique vision, with a deep commitment to sustainability and expanding its leadership in sustainable protein across North America
- Professional and career development opportunities, supported by our commitment to talent development through our partnership with the Ivey School of Business.
- Competitive Health and Wellness benefits that start on your first day of employment
- Defined Contribution Pension Plan
- Commitment to Learning – courses, resources and tools provided to all employees
- Employee Assistance Program
What you will bring:
We thank all applicants for their interest in exploring employment opportunities with Maple Leaf Foods however only those selected for an interview will be contacted. Applicants may be subject to a background check and must meet the security criteria designated for the position.
- Post Secondary Education relating to Food Science or related discipline
- 2-5 years experience in food related quality assurance role
- Excellent organizational, project management and multi-tasking and prioritization skills
- Exceptional leadership and communication skills
- Strong experience in developing and maintaining Quality Assurance programs, HACCP systems and SOP's
- Proficient in Microsoft Word, Excel & Windows
- Innovative and creative problem solving in finding solutions and opportunities
Maple Leaf Foods is committed to Employment Equity and maintaining a diverse workforce. Job applicants with a disability who require reasonable accommodation for any part of the application or hiring process can contact our Talent Attraction Team at email@example.com. Reasonable accommodations will be determined on a case-by-case basis and your request will be responded to as soon as possible.