Human Resources / H&S Advisor - Contract
A Sustainable, Forward Thinking Protein Company
Maple Leaf Foods is a leading meat and plant-based protein company, employing over 11,500 people and publicly traded on the Toronto Stock Exchange. We are proud of our roots, which trace back well over 100 years, but our vision and purpose are decidedly forward looking. As we pursue our vision to become the most sustainable protein company on earth, we are committed to creating shared value – creative business value through addressing some of the world’s most critical social and environmental challenges. Our goal is to build a more sustainable food system, which provides nutritious affordable food, operates within planetary limits, cares for animals responsibly, and meaningfully engages with our communities to advance a more just society. We are advancing bold changes within Maple Leaf and more broadly within society to pursue our vision. We deeply believe this is the sustainable path to growth.
Our job is to make great food
Maple Leaf Foods embraces a strong values-based culture, where our people are deeply engaged in work that is purposeful, fast-paced and challenging. We cultivate an open, non-bureaucratic and inclusive workplace that fosters safety and transparency, along with individual leadership and accountability. Each Maple Leaf team member has a voice and plays an active role in helping all of us achieve our goals with passion and discipline. We support one another to grow professionally, to learn new skills and to take on challenging experiences in the spirit of continuous improvement.
Raise the Good in Food
We have united behind a shared purpose – to Raise the Good in Food. This spans a dramatic transformation of our flagship Maple Leaf brand, replacing anything artificial with simple, natural ingredients; investments and process changes to reduce our environmental footprint by 50% by 2025; building a diverse and inclusive culture where all talent thrives; becoming a leader in animal care; and advancing food security through our charitable foundation, the Maple Leaf Centre for Action on Food Security.
Our Leadership Values
Eight core values guide us in everything that we do.
- Do What’s Right
- Shared Value
- High Performance
- Diverse and Inclusive Teams
- Disciplined Decision Making
- Our Accountability
- Intense Curiosity
- Transparency and Humility
Reporting to the Production Manager, the incumbent will provide leadership and support in the plant as it relates to the Human Resources/Health and Safety function for the plant’s hourly and salaried employees. The incumbent will focus, specifically in the areas of Health, Safety and Labour Relations and will be the single point of contact for labour, employee relations and health & safety issues.
The ideal candidate will be someone who thrives on working in a stimulating, fast paced environment with flexible working hours.
A snapshot of some of the exciting things you will lead and do:
- Health and Safety policy creation, revision and implementation
- Responsible for full recruitment cycle including posting jobs, screening internal and external candidates, interviewing, conducting tours, completing reference checks
- Responsible for on-boarding and orientation of new hires and rehires
- Reviews and follows up with supervisors to ensure timeliness, appropriateness of accident investigations and follow through on corrective action and root cause analysis.
- Provide guidance and/or training to supervisory personnel on H&S policies, attendance management, conflict resolution, discipline and discharge, legislation, company policies, etc.
- Investigate all harassment issues/human rights claims and advise management accordingly.
- Monthly analysis of accidents and injuries and compilation of monthly safety reports including the updating of period reports, statistical data and the Health and Safety MCR
- Administration of Health and Safety forms including: Form 7, correspondence to WCB regarding claims and back to work programs, modified logs & tracking sheet.
- Preparation of monthly Health & Safety meeting talks for Supervisors and hourly representatives.
- Coaches and advises front line supervisors and managers in the handling of concerns and complaints. Ensures that all issues are properly investigated and that any decision taken is consistent with the Employee Handbook and past practice.
- Champions all OHS Management System Audits
- Co-Chairs the Joint Health & Safety Committee and all related initiatives
- Coordinates OHS training with external vendors as well as developing and delivering in-house OHS Training
- Assist the Supervisors in the handling of Dispute Resolution meetings.
- Research and prepare documentation for Dispute Resolution, hearings, tribunals, etc.
- Monitors trends and implements initiatives to maximize employee morale, performance, and retention.
- Ensures that all the correct procedures are followed with regard to manpower moves and changes.
- Reinforces all Leadership Edge initiatives.
- Utilize human capital management systems (i.e. SAP, KRONOS) to maintain employee information as it relates to adding new hires, termination, job changes, and rate adjustments etc. for all hourly employees.
- Compile monthly reports for plant and corporate office use
- Other duties as assigned
What we have to offer you:
- Be part of a company with an inspiring and unique vision, with a deep commitment to sustainability and expanding its leadership in sustainable protein across North America
- Professional and career development opportunities, supported by our commitment to talent development through our partnership with the Ivey School of Business.
- Competitive Health and Wellness benefits that start on your first day of employment
- Commitment to Learning – courses, resources and tools provided to all employees
- Employee Assistance Program
What you will bring:
We thank all applicants for their interest in exploring employment opportunities with Maple Leaf Foods however only those selected for an interview will be contacted. Applicants may be subject to a background check and must meet the security criteria designated for the position.
- Grade 12 with preference to post secondary education directly related to Occupational Health and Safety or Human Resources with a minimum of 3 years’ related experience in a manufacturing or process industry,
- Must have strong alignment with the Maple Leaf values
- CPR and Standard First Aid Certificates (or a willingness to obtain same within one year of hire as a condition of employment),
- Possess or be in the process of obtaining a CRSP or CHRP designation,
- Strong PC skills and experience with Microsoft Office software applications.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills.
- Seeks out and applies best practices as solutions to correct deficiencies,
- Continues to examine learning opportunities in safety and for personal growth,
- Embraces the Maple Leaf Leadership Edge Core Values to create superior shareholder value
- Six Sigma training or project participation would be an asset
- Ability to excel in a fast-paced manufacturing environment
Maple Leaf Foods is committed to Employment Equity and maintaining a diverse workforce. Job applicants with a disability who require reasonable accommodation for any part of the application or hiring process can contact our Talent Attraction Team at email@example.com. Reasonable accommodations will be determined on a case-by-case basis and your request will be responded to as soon as possible.