A Sustainable, Forward Thinking Protein Company
Maple Leaf Foods is a leading meat and plant-based protein company, employing over 11,500 people and publicly traded on the Toronto Stock Exchange. We are proud of our roots, which trace back well over 100 years, but our vision and purpose are decidedly forward looking. As we pursue our vision to become the most sustainable protein company on earth, we are committed to creating shared value – creative business value through addressing some of the world’s most critical social and environmental challenges. Our goal is to build a more sustainable food system, which provides nutritious affordable food, operates within planetary limits, cares for animals responsibly, and meaningfully engages with our communities to advance a more just society. We are advancing bold changes within Maple Leaf and more broadly within society to pursue our vision. We deeply believe this is the sustainable path to growth.
Our job is to make great food
Maple Leaf Foods embraces a strong values-based culture, where our people are deeply engaged in work that is purposeful, fast-paced and challenging. We cultivate an open, non-bureaucratic and inclusive workplace that fosters safety and transparency, along with individual leadership and accountability. Each Maple Leaf team member has a voice and plays an active role in helping all of us achieve our goals with passion and discipline. We support one another to grow professionally, to learn new skills and to take on challenging experiences in the spirit of continuous improvement.
Raise the Good in Food
We have united behind a shared purpose – to Raise the Good in Food. This spans a dramatic transformation of our flagship Maple Leaf brand, replacing anything artificial with simple, natural ingredients; investments and process changes to reduce our environmental footprint by 50% by 2025; building a diverse and inclusive culture where all talent thrives; becoming a leader in animal care; and advancing food security through our charitable foundation, the Maple Leaf Centre for Action on Food Security.
Our Leadership Values
Eight core values guide us in everything that we do.
- Do What’s Right
- Shared Value
- High Performance
- Diverse and Inclusive Teams
- Disciplined Decision Making
- Our Accountability
- Intense Curiosity
- Transparency and Humility
The Pit Crew Team Leader will be responsible for providing direction to the Team Members within Deli/Bolo. This role will be accountable for ensuring to work cross functionally with Sanitation, Operations and Reliability to ensure effective start up and optimal line efficiencies.
A snapshot of some of the exciting things you will lead and do:
- Execute against standardized work methods to meet daily and weekly production schedules
- Monitor team members and ensure timely, accurate and within scope pre-op and line setup activities are completed daily
- Attend and participate in daily meetings such as OEE stability, productions, and work order meetings
- Act as single point of contact for employee issues and concerns and providing follow-up in a timely manner
- Conduct grievance, incident investigations, counseling, and discipline meetings
- Properly administering the Collective Agreement
- Accurate payroll processing
- Complete daily signoff of all documents along with completing daily production shift reports
- Conduct communication, safety, and food safety meetings
- Review view of action items with other team leaders from production meetings during shift handoff
- Planning, organizing, and executing product set up tests
- Coach production Process Leader and Team Members on delivering business results, professional development and individual performance issues
- Audits processes: People System, FSQA, Reliability predictive practices
- Conduct weekly team meetings to review FS/QA, People, Reliability and CI KPIs
- Drive a strong safety culture (H&S and Food Safety)
- Develop Team Members through certification training and coaching, providing clear roles and consistent support and feedback for all employees
- Foster and maintain positive union and employee relations environment by treating all employees with respect, providing timely feedback and grievance resolution
- Participates in continuous improvement initiatives to reduce waste and improve overall operational results
- Applies knowledge and ensures compliance with CFIA, Ministry of Labour, Ministry of Environment, Health & Safety and other legislative bodies that impact plant performance.
- Shall demonstrate full commitment to the implementation of the requirements of the Global Standard for Food Safety and to processes which facilitate continual improvement of food safety and quality management.
- Guide and support all employees in the Maple Leaf Values
- Interface with CFIA during pre op inspection and resolve identified concerns
What we have to offer you:
- Be part of a company with an inspiring and unique vision, with a deep commitment to sustainability and expanding its leadership in sustainable protein across North America
- Professional and career development opportunities, supported by our commitment to talent development through our partnership with the Ivey School of Business.
- Competitive Health and Wellness benefits that start on your first day of employment
- Defined Contribution Pension Plan
- Commitment to Learning – courses, resources and tools provided to all employees
- Employee Assistance Program
What you will bring:
The successful candidate will be results-oriented, thrive in a fast paced, demanding environment, and have the ability to develop positive working relationships with all employees. Candidates must have:
Maple Leaf Foods is committed to ensuring the health and safety of all our employees. As part of this commitment, we have adopted a number of COVID-19 safety measures, including a requirement for all employees to be fully vaccinated by March 31, 2022 and to show proof of vaccination. In keeping with this policy, successful candidates will need to provide proof of vaccination by March 31, 2022 (or prior to their first day of work if the start date is after March 31, 2022). We will of course consider accommodations for anyone unable to be vaccinated following human rights and other applicable laws
We thank all applicants for their interest in exploring employment opportunities with Maple Leaf Foods; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted. Applicants may be subject to a background check and must meet the security criteria designated for the position.
Championing diversity and inclusion is a critical component to advancing our collective purpose and vision, living the Maple Leaf Leadership Values, and delivering winning results. Accommodation is available upon request for applicants with disabilities in the recruitment and assessment process and when hired; please contact our Talent Attraction Team at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Post secondary education in Operations Management, Business or related field is an asset
- 5+ years of supervisory experience in a unionized, manufacturing environment
- Strong Mechanical aptitude required and willingness to understand, problem solve, identify and resolve equipment issues
- Strong computer skills in Microsoft Office (Excel) and time and attendance applications (Kronos)
- Strong interpersonal, oral and written communication skills
- Ability to work as a team with all functional areas to support a common goal
- Strong leadership skills, independent thinking, strong organizational and planning abilities and excellent analytical and problem solving skills are essential
- Environment - Plant environment (ambient and refrigerated); 24-7, 2 shift operation – some exposure to elevated levels of heat during the sanitation function
- Volume & Complexity of Work- A fast paced work environment with multiple, tight and changing priorities
- Travel Requirements – Minimal
- Physical Requirements - Low