A Sustainable, Forward Thinking Protein Company
Maple Leaf Foods is a leading meat and plant-based protein company, employing over 11,500 people and publicly traded on the Toronto Stock Exchange. We are proud of our roots, which trace back well over 100 years, but our vision and purpose are decidedly forward looking. As we pursue our vision to become the most sustainable protein company on earth, we are committed to creating shared value – creative business value through addressing some of the world’s most critical social and environmental challenges. Our goal is to build a more sustainable food system, which provides nutritious affordable food, operates within planetary limits, cares for animals responsibly, and meaningfully engages with our communities to advance a more just society. We are advancing bold changes within Maple Leaf and more broadly within society to pursue our vision. We deeply believe this is the sustainable path to growth.
Our job is to make great food
Maple Leaf Foods embraces a strong values-based culture, where our people are deeply engaged in work that is purposeful, fast-paced and challenging.We cultivate an open, non-bureaucratic and inclusive workplace that fosters safety and transparency, along with individual leadership and accountability. Each Maple Leaf team member has a voice and plays an active role in helping all of us achieve our goals with passion and discipline. We support one another to grow professionally, to learn new skills and to take on challenging experiences in the spirit of continuous improvement
Raise the Good in Food
We have united behind a shared purpose – to Raise the Good in Food. This spans a dramatic transformation of our flagship Maple Leaf brand, replacing anything artificial with simple, natural ingredients; investments and process changes to reduce our environmental footprint by 50% by 2025; building a diverse and inclusive culture where all talent thrives; becoming a leader in animal care; and advancing food security through our charitable foundation, the Maple Leaf Centre for Action on Food Security.
Our Leadership Values
Eight core values guide us in everything that we do.
- Do What’s Right
- Shared Value
- High Performance
- Diverse and Inclusive Teams
- Disciplined Decision Making
- Our Accountability
- Intense Curiosity
- Transparency and Humility
The Technical Manager RDT role will be responsible for providing leadership to a team of junior developers, management of the lab and pilot plant facilities as well as direct execution of assigned projects. This candidate will manage the technical team in day-to-day initiatives focused on innovation, quality improvement, brand maintenance and cost optimization. This candidate will operate in a cross-functional environment to identify, scope and drive technical projects to meet business needs. This role requires strong technical background with the ability to apply prior knowledge and product development principles to guide/mentor team members and grow their capabilities for contributing to the organization. This position requires a high degree of autonomy, communication skills and collaboration mind-set while managing the team and projects assignments simultaneously. In addition, this role leads the overall finance logistics and tracking required for income tax credit and overall department budgeting purposes.
A snapshot of some of the exciting things you will lead and do:
- Responsible for leading, mentoring and developing a team of product developers and ensuring the completion of priority projects and critical non-project work.
- Oversee and conduct required bench top and/or pilot plant experiments in the development of new products and/or product renovations and/or new processes for the experimental plan, conduct experiments and produce the appropriate documentation.
- Lead and motivate RDT team members in the technical aspects of product development through the investigation, planning, execution, evaluation and documentation of new product development and continuous improvements projects.
- Work and collaborate with teams across the organization to achieve business goals. Communicates and provides updates as needed for visibility of project milestones, key metrics and advances.
- Ensure commercialization excellence by supporting RDT Team and work closely with cross-functional team members in production plants.
- Participate as a strategic technical lead for project pipeline review and prioritization. Communicate strategies and priorities to team members for alignment and direction.
- Evaluate and make recommendations concerning the application of new formulations, process improvements, new technologies, and cost optimization. Champions ideas for technology exploration, innovations, and optimizations that align with strategic goals of the company.
- Proven record of executing work plans and driving for results in a variety of settings. Responsible for the development of technical work plans and set tactical objectives to drive business results.
- Maintains an environment of innovation and scientific excellence by staying abreast with technology/market insights, collaborating with external and internal partners and managing the group with passion, intellectual curiosity, integrity and trust.
- Lead and execute required tasks for income tax credits (SRED), project cost tracking and financial logistics for the department (issuing purchase orders, reconciling invoices, cross charging, tracking, etc.)
What we have to offer you:
- Be part of a company with an inspiring and unique vision, with a deep commitment to sustainability and expanding its leadership in sustainable protein across North America
- Professional and career development opportunities
- Competitive Health and Wellness benefits that start on your first day of employment
- Defined Contribution Pension Plan
- Commitment to Learning – courses, resources and tools provided to all employees
- Employee Assistance Program
What you will bring:
- Degree in Food Science, Food Engineering, or related field.
- Minimum of 7 years relevant work experience in the food industry with 5+ years of experience in product development and commercialization and 2+ years of experience in people management with demonstrated ability to recruit and develop talent.
- Exhibits leadership and demonstrated ability to influence technical and business partners. Experience developing and commercializing food products and/or food processing technologies. Must have the ability to adapt to change with proven ability to accelerate the performance of R&D team.
- Communicates and set clear objectives, motivates and empowers direct reports to lead and make decisions. Ability to manage multiple assignments and prioritize work for self and others.
- Excellent communication and influencing skills. Strong business acumen with an ability to bridge business needs with technical competencies.
- Demonstrated ability to foster and build a team culture. Proactive, self-driven, results and action oriented with strong teamwork spirit and flexibility.
- Strong critical thinking and problem solving skills.
- Excellent planning and organizational skills.
- Access to a vehicle and ability to travel. Occasional off shift work will be required.
Maple Leaf Foods is committed to ensuring the health and safety of all our employees. As part of this commitment, we have adopted a number of COVID-19 safety measures, including a requirement for all employees to be fully vaccinated by March 31, 2022 and to show proof of vaccination. In keeping with this policy, successful candidates will need to provide proof of vaccination by March 31, 2022 (or prior to their first day of work if the start date is after March 31, 2022). We will of course consider accommodations for anyone unable to be vaccinated following human rights and other applicable laws
We thank all applicants for their interest in exploring employment opportunities with Maple Leaf Foods; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted. Applicants may be subject to a background check and must meet the security criteria designated for the position.
Championing diversity and inclusion is a critical component to advancing our collective purpose and vision, living the Maple Leaf Leadership Values, and delivering winning results. Accommodation is available upon request for applicants with disabilities in the recruitment and assessment process and when hired; please contact our Talent Attraction Team at email@example.com.