A Sustainable, Forward Thinking Protein Company
Maple Leaf Foods is a leading meat and plant-based protein company, employing over 11,500 people and publicly traded on the Toronto Stock Exchange. We are proud of our roots, which trace back well over 100 years, but our vision and purpose are decidedly forward looking. As we pursue our vision to become the most sustainable protein company on earth, we are committed to creating shared value – creative business value through addressing some of the world’s most critical social and environmental challenges. Our goal is to build a more sustainable food system, which provides nutritious affordable food, operates within planetary limits, cares for animals responsibly, and meaningfully engages with our communities to advance a more just society. We are advancing bold changes within Maple Leaf and more broadly within society to pursue our vision. We deeply believe this is the sustainable path to growth.
Our job is to make great food
Maple Leaf Foods embraces a strong values-based culture, where our people are deeply engaged in work that is purposeful, fast-paced and challenging.We cultivate an open, non-bureaucratic and inclusive workplace that fosters safety and transparency, along with individual leadership and accountability. Each Maple Leaf team member has a voice and plays an active role in helping all of us achieve our goals with passion and discipline. We support one another to grow professionally, to learn new skills and to take on challenging experiences in the spirit of continuous improvement
Raise the Good in Food
We have united behind a shared purpose – to Raise the Good in Food. This spans a dramatic transformation of our flagship Maple Leaf brand, replacing anything artificial with simple, natural ingredients; investments and process changes to reduce our environmental footprint by 50% by 2025; building a diverse and inclusive culture where all talent thrives; becoming a leader in animal care; and advancing food security through our charitable foundation, the Maple Leaf Centre for Action on Food Security.
Our Leadership Values
Eight core values guide us in everything that we do.
- Do What’s Right
- Shared Value
- High Performance
- Diverse and Inclusive Teams
- Disciplined Decision Making
- Our Accountability
- Intense Curiosity
- Transparency and Humility
The incumbent supervises hourly employees on the afternoon/night shift and is responsible for ensuring proper sanitation practices are followed and monitoring plant cleanliness through procedural observation and pre-operational inspections. The incumbent’s main accountability is to supervise hourly staff and to ensure sanitation programs and practices meet and/or exceed governmental requirements in order to protect the Company’s interests
A snapshot of some of the exciting things you will lead and do:
- Plans manpower requirements for the department on a daily and weekly basis in order to achieve plant cleanliness,
- Directs employees in GMP’s, HACCP, pre-operational, and sanitation procedures,
- Prepares reports and maintains records for due diligence of sanitation procedures and continuous improvements,
- Submits work orders for the repair and maintenance of equipment with follow up,
- Maximizes attendance and follow-up to reduce absenteeism by coaching, conducts Accident Investigations, and takes disciplinary statements and administers discipline in line with the Plant’s Discipline Policy,
- Provides leadership by instilling team goals and objectives and fosters good staff relationships in order to gain commitment from hourly employees,
- Ensures employees are trained and qualified in WHMIS and other programs prior to handling and using chemicals and/or prior to the operation of equipment,
- Approves and submits electronic payroll for employees in the department with due regard to the application of the collective bargaining agreement and Company policies,
- Undertakes to protect the health and safety of employees in accordance with established safe work procedures, Company policies, and applicable provincial legislation,
- Other duties as may be assigned.
What we have to offer you:
- Be part of a company with an inspiring and unique vision, with a deep commitment to sustainability and expanding its leadership in sustainable protein across North America
- Professional and career development opportunities, supported by our commitment to talent development through our partnership with the Ivey School of Business.
- Competitive Health and Wellness benefits that start on your first day of employment
- Defined Contribution Pension Plan
- Commitment to Learning – courses, resources and tools provided to all employees
- Employee Assistance Program
What you will bring:
- A minimum of 3 years’ experience in a unionized meat or food processing environment,
- Demonstrated leadership skills,
- Post-secondary education in Microbiology or Chemistry or equivalent by having completed a recognized food processing continuing education program,
- A strong communicator, both written and oral, who is confident, decisive, able to deal with conflict and yet achieve win-win results,
- Willing to relocate for promotional opportunities and career development,
- Ability to get things done with minimal supervision and the willingness to work flexible hours, including weekends, when required.
Maple Leaf Foods is committed to ensuring the health and safety of all our employees. As part of this commitment, we have adopted a number of COVID-19 safety measures, including a requirement for all employees to be fully vaccinated by March 31, 2022 and to show proof of vaccination. In keeping with this policy, successful candidates will need to provide proof of vaccination by March 31, 2022 (or prior to their first day of work if the start date is after March 31, 2022). We will of course consider accommodations for anyone unable to be vaccinated following human rights and other applicable laws
We thank all applicants for their interest in exploring employment opportunities with Maple Leaf Foods; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted. Applicants may be subject to a background check and must meet the security criteria designated for the position.
Championing diversity and inclusion is a critical component to advancing our collective purpose and vision, living the Maple Leaf Leadership Values, and delivering winning results. Accommodation is available upon request for applicants with disabilities in the recruitment and assessment process and when hired; please contact our Talent Attraction Team at email@example.com.