A Sustainable, Forward Thinking Protein Company
Maple Leaf Foods is a leading meat and plant-based protein company, employing over 11,500 people and publicly traded on the Toronto Stock Exchange. We are proud of our roots, which trace back well over 100 years, but our vision and purpose are decidedly forward looking. As we pursue our vision to become the most sustainable protein company on earth, we are committed to creating shared value – creative business value through addressing some of the world’s most critical social and environmental challenges. Our goal is to build a more sustainable food system, which provides nutritious affordable food, operates within planetary limits, cares for animals responsibly, and meaningfully engages with our communities to advance a more just society. We are advancing bold changes within Maple Leaf and more broadly within society to pursue our vision. We deeply believe this is the sustainable path to growth.
Our job is to make great food
Maple Leaf Foods embraces a strong values-based culture, where our people are deeply engaged in work that is purposeful, fast-paced and challenging.We cultivate an open, non-bureaucratic and inclusive workplace that fosters safety and transparency, along with individual leadership and accountability. Each Maple Leaf team member has a voice and plays an active role in helping all of us achieve our goals with passion and discipline. We support one another to grow professionally, to learn new skills and to take on challenging experiences in the spirit of continuous improvement
Raise the Good in Food
We have united behind a shared purpose – to Raise the Good in Food. This spans a dramatic transformation of our flagship Maple Leaf brand, replacing anything artificial with simple, natural ingredients; investments and process changes to reduce our environmental footprint by 50% by 2025; building a diverse and inclusive culture where all talent thrives; becoming a leader in animal care; and advancing food security through our charitable foundation, the Maple Leaf Centre for Action on Food Security.
Our Leadership Values
Eight core values guide us in everything that we do.
- Do What’s Right
- Shared Value
- High Performance
- Diverse and Inclusive Teams
- Disciplined Decision Making
- Our Accountability
- Intense Curiosity
- Transparency and Humility
The OH&S Specialist works closely with the Plant Manager and the Plant Leadership team to promote Occupational Health and Safety at the Maple Leaf Foods Canning facility.
The OH&S Specialist assists in identifying hazards and assessing risks to health and safety. Provides advice on accident prevention and occupational health to supervisors and employees.
A snapshot of some of the exciting things you will lead and do:
- Design and implement workplace processes and procedures that help protect workers from hazardous work conditions
- Prepare written reports and Standard Operating Procedures (SOP)
- Help supervise the investigation of accidents and unsafe working conditions, study possible causes and recommend remedial action
- Ensure all accidents and near misses are reported and preventative action plans are completed
- Assist with the rehabilitation of workers after accidents or injuries and make sure there is satisfactory return to work
- Review, document and follow up on all hazard reporting
- Work with the safety captains and Joint Health and Safety Committee to inspect and test work areas for potential accident and health hazards and implement appropriate control measures (including daily workplace audits, review of safety captains’ audits and participation on the Joint Health and Safety Committee
- Make sure that personal protective equipment, such as safety glasses, footwear and safety helmets are being used in workplaces according to regulations and that dangerous materials are correctly stored
- Ensure that the company is aware of, and complies with, all legislation in relation to the use of its plant, equipment and substances as well as in all workplace activities
- Act as facilitator in the promotion of safe work behavior program
- Participation in safety committee meetings as applicable
- Assist in coordination and documentation of training seminars
- Assist in the development and communication of Occupational Health and Safety systems
- Job Hazard Analysis and creation of Standard Operating Procedures
- Promote a safe and healthy work environment and the reduction of lost time due to occupational injury or illness
- Assist in special projects and duties as required
- Enhance Maple Leaf’s profile as a responsible and caring company
- May work on weekend and irregular shift during emergencies
What we have to offer you:
- Be part of a company with an inspiring and unique vision, with a deep commitment to sustainability and expanding its leadership in sustainable protein across North America
- Professional and career development opportunities, supported by our commitment to talent development through our partnership with the Ivey School of Business.
- Competitive Health and Wellness benefits that start on your first day of employment
- Defined Contribution Pension Plan
- Commitment to Learning – courses, resources and tools provided to all employees
- Employee Assistance Program
What you will bring:
- Bachelor’s degree or diploma in occupational health and safety or related discipline, or experience equivalent 5+ years
- Experience in the administration of policies and legislative compliance.
- Experience in a leadership role, preferably within a manufacturing environment.
- Minimum of 2 years’ experience in health and safety program delivery and management.
- Knowledge of Occupational Health and Safety legislation combined with training in hazard recognition, assessment and control would be an asset.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills; ability to work with union and management personnel in a collaborative environment.
- Self starting, proactive individual who can work well independently and in a team environment.
- Transparency in dealing with others.
- Strong PC and analytical skills.
- Problem solving skills
- Detail oriented
Maple Leaf Foods is committed to ensuring the health and safety of all our employees. As part of this commitment, we have adopted a number of COVID-19 safety measures, including a requirement for all employees to be fully vaccinated by March 31, 2022 and to show proof of vaccination. In keeping with this policy, successful candidates will need to provide proof of vaccination by March 31, 2022 (or prior to their first day of work if the start date is after March 31, 2022). We will of course consider accommodations for anyone unable to be vaccinated following human rights and other applicable laws
We thank all applicants for their interest in exploring employment opportunities with Maple Leaf Foods; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted. Applicants may be subject to a background check and must meet the security criteria designated for the position.
Championing diversity and inclusion is a critical component to advancing our collective purpose and vision, living the Maple Leaf Leadership Values, and delivering winning results. Accommodation is available upon request for applicants with disabilities in the recruitment and assessment process and when hired; please contact our Talent Attraction Team at firstname.lastname@example.org.