Eastern Regional Health, Safety, Security, and Environment Manager - Contract
A Sustainable, Forward Thinking Protein Company
Maple Leaf Foods is a leading meat and plant-based protein company, employing over 11,500 people and publicly traded on the Toronto Stock Exchange. We are proud of our roots, which trace back well over 100 years, but our vision and purpose are decidedly forward looking. As we pursue our vision to become the most sustainable protein company on earth, we are committed to creating shared value – creative business value through addressing some of the world’s most critical social and environmental challenges. Our goal is to build a more sustainable food system, which provides nutritious affordable food, operates within planetary limits, cares for animals responsibly, and meaningfully engages with our communities to advance a more just society. We are advancing bold changes within Maple Leaf and more broadly within society to pursue our vision. We deeply believe this is the sustainable path to growth.
Our job is to make great food
Maple Leaf Foods embraces a strong values-based culture, where our people are deeply engaged in work that is purposeful, fast-paced and challenging. We cultivate an open, non-bureaucratic and inclusive workplace that fosters safety and transparency, along with individual leadership and accountability. Each Maple Leaf team member has a voice and plays an active role in helping all of us achieve our goals with passion and discipline. We support one another to grow professionally, to learn new skills and to take on challenging experiences in the spirit of continuous improvement.
Raise the Good in Food
We have united behind a shared purpose – to Raise the Good in Food. This spans a dramatic transformation of our flagship Maple Leaf brand, replacing anything artificial with simple, natural ingredients; investments and process changes to reduce our environmental footprint by 50% by 2025; building a diverse and inclusive culture where all talent thrives; becoming a leader in animal care; and advancing food security through our charitable foundation, the Maple Leaf Centre for Action on Food Security.
Our Leadership Values
Eight core values guide us in everything that we do.
- Do What’s Right
- Shared Value
- High Performance
- Diverse and Inclusive Teams
- Disciplined Decision Making
- Our Accountability
- Intense Curiosity
- Transparency and Humility
A snapshot of some of the exciting things you will lead and do:
- Drive a positive OHS culture and lead continual OHS culture improvement activities.
- Provide leadership, mentoring, and direction to managers, supervisors, and employees in OHS and incident prevention activities.
- Prepare action plans that support MLF’s OHS Strategy.
- Execute OHS objectives and performance targets in alignment with Maple Leaf Food's OHS objectives.
- Produce reports and statistical information; analyze trends, and present findings and/or recommendations to management.
- Ensure timely reporting of injuries to internal and external bodies.
- Review Workers' Compensation reports to monitor claim costs (including projections and actuals) and recommend action plans to improve.
- Represent the Company at Workers' Compensation hearings and appeals to support site HSSE designates where expertise is required.
- Assist site HSSE designates in the coordination of orientation, education, and training to managers, supervisors, employees, and the Joint OHS Committees.
- Assist site HSSE designates with the development, maintenance, and communication of an emergency response program and procedures to management and supervision.
What we have to offer you:
- Be part of a company with an inspiring and unique vision, with a deep commitment to sustainability and expanding its leadership in sustainable protein across North America
- Professional and career development opportunities, supported by our commitment to talent development through our partnership with the Ivey School of Business.
- Competitive Health and Wellness benefits that start on your first day of employment
- Defined Contribution Pension Plan
- Commitment to Learning – courses, resources and tools provided to all employees
- Employee Assistance Program
What you will bring:
We thank all applicants for their interest in exploring employment opportunities with Maple Leaf Foods however only those selected for an interview will be contacted. Applicants may be subject to a background check and must meet the security criteria designated for the position.
- Canadian Registered Safety Professional or BScOH (University undergraduate degree)
- 8 - 10 years of experience in a progressively responsible OHS role
- Ability to travel in Ontario on a frequent basis
- Strong communication, interpersonal, organizational, and analytical skills
- Strong knowledge of business and plant processes
- Computer skills - desktop applications, OHS applications
- The ability to build relationships and credibility, to be in a position to influence others
- Leadership and managerial skills
- Significant skills required to accomplish goals through people who do not report to this position
- Ability to evaluate risk, controls needed, and balance risk against cost of controls
- Ability to design and evaluate effective training programs
- Strong knowledge and experience in all aspects of OHS
Maple Leaf Foods is committed to Employment Equity and maintaining a diverse workforce. Job applicants with a disability who require reasonable accommodation for any part of the application or hiring process can contact our Talent Attraction Team at firstname.lastname@example.org. Reasonable accommodations will be determined on a case-by-case basis and your request will be responded to as soon as possible.