A Sustainable, Forward Thinking Protein Company
Maple Leaf Foods is a leading meat and plant-based protein company, employing over 11,500 people and publicly traded on the Toronto Stock Exchange. We are proud of our roots, which trace back well over 100 years, but our vision and purpose are decidedly forward looking. As we pursue our vision to become the most sustainable protein company on earth, we are committed to creating shared value – creative business value through addressing some of the world’s most critical social and environmental challenges. Our goal is to build a more sustainable food system, which provides nutritious affordable food, operates within planetary limits, cares for animals responsibly, and meaningfully engages with our communities to advance a more just society. We are advancing bold changes within Maple Leaf and more broadly within society to pursue our vision. We deeply believe this is the sustainable path to growth.
Our job is to make great food
Maple Leaf Foods embraces a strong values-based culture, where our people are deeply engaged in work that is purposeful, fast-paced and challenging. We cultivate an open, non-bureaucratic and inclusive workplace that fosters safety and transparency, along with individual leadership and accountability. Each Maple Leaf team member has a voice and plays an active role in helping all of us achieve our goals with passion and discipline. We support one another to grow professionally, to learn new skills and to take on challenging experiences in the spirit of continuous improvement.
Raise the Good in Food
We have united behind a shared purpose – to Raise the Good in Food. This spans a dramatic transformation of our flagship Maple Leaf brand, replacing anything artificial with simple, natural ingredients; investments and process changes to reduce our environmental footprint by 50% by 2025; building a diverse and inclusive culture where all talent thrives; becoming a leader in animal care; and advancing food security through our charitable foundation, the Maple Leaf Centre for Action on Food Security.
Our Leadership Values
Eight core values guide us in everything that we do.
- Do What’s Right
- Shared Value
- High Performance
- Diverse and Inclusive Teams
- Disciplined Decision Making
- Our Accountability
- Intense Curiosity
- Transparency and Humility
Reporting to the Plant Manager, the Production Manager is responsible for the safe and efficient operation of the Production areas of our facility which would involve supervising and directing a large workforce of salaried and hourly employees. The incumbent would develop and implement modern manufacturing techniques and would provide strategic direction and champion continuous improvement for the departments within the Production area of the facility.
We thank all applicants for their interest in exploring employment opportunities with Maple Leaf Foods however only those selected for an interview will be contacted. Applicants may be subject to a background check and must meet the security criteria designated for the position.
A snapshot of some of the exciting things you will lead and do:
- Implement modern manufacturing techniques such as continuous improvement, 5S, Six Sigma, TQM, and Lean Manufacturing and provide strategic direction for Production area.
- Coordinate employees, processes and activities to maximize profit in a unionized environment focused on high health and safety standards, strict food safety and quality protocols, and positive employee relations
- Provide positive, direct customer interaction throughout all stages of production
- Ensure projects are completed in a timely and profitable manner
- Manage and maintain a safe, cost effective and efficient manufacturing environment
- Ensure compliance with all HACCP procedures and maintain a positive working relationship with all CFIA representatives in the plant
- Maintain a positive union and employee relations environment
- Ensure open and effective communication among all team members and stakeholders
- Ensure employee performance appraisals are carried out for all employees (review performance and job descriptions, set goals, engage employees) including development action plans for salaried staff
- Act as the contact for customer quality concerns
- Conduct internal quality systems audits as required
- Determine short and long term labour requirements
- Control and monitor overtime distribution
- Manage departmental budget preparation and attainment
- Ensure Daily Communication Meetings are conducted with all key personnel throughout the plant
- Hold authority to stop production to correct Quality Assurance-related problems
- Comply with all company Health and Safety policies and procedures
What we have to offer you:
- Be part of a company with an inspiring and unique vision, with a deep commitment to sustainability and expanding its leadership in sustainable protein across North America
- Professional and career development opportunities, supported by our commitment to talent development through our partnership with the Ivey School of Business.
- Competitive Health and Wellness benefits that start on your first day of employment
- Defined Contribution Pension Plan
- Commitment to Learning – courses, resources and tools provided to all employees
- Employee Assistance Program
What you will bring:
- Brings a diverse perspective that complements the skills, strengths and opportunities of the team
- A minimum of 5 years of demonstrated successful and progressive experience in a project-based manufacturing environment
- An engineering background is an asset
- A proven record of delivering positive bottom line results
- An understanding of lean manufacturing concepts
- Demonstrated excellence in communication with both co-workers and customers
- Strong decision-making ability
- Demonstrated customer focus to ensure a loyal customer base
Maple Leaf Foods is committed to Employment Equity and maintaining a diverse workforce. Job applicants with a disability who require reasonable accommodation for any part of the application or hiring process can contact our Talent Attraction Team at email@example.com. Reasonable accommodations will be determined on a case-by-case basis and your request will be responded to as soon as possible.