Associate Product Developer - Contract
A Sustainable, Forward Thinking Protein Company
Maple Leaf Foods is a leading meat and plant-based protein company, employing over 11,500 people and publicly traded on the Toronto Stock Exchange. We are proud of our roots, which trace back well over 100 years, but our vision and purpose are decidedly forward looking. As we pursue our vision to become the most sustainable protein company on earth, we are committed to creating shared value – creative business value through addressing some of the world’s most critical social and environmental challenges. Our goal is to build a more sustainable food system, which provides nutritious affordable food, operates within planetary limits, cares for animals responsibly, and meaningfully engages with our communities to advance a more just society. We are advancing bold changes within Maple Leaf and more broadly within society to pursue our vision. We deeply believe this is the sustainable path to growth.
Our job is to make great food
Maple Leaf Foods embraces a strong values-based culture, where our people are deeply engaged in work that is purposeful, fast-paced and challenging. We cultivate an open, non-bureaucratic and inclusive workplace that fosters safety and transparency, along with individual leadership and accountability. Each Maple Leaf team member has a voice and plays an active role in helping all of us achieve our goals with passion and discipline. We support one another to grow professionally, to learn new skills and to take on challenging experiences in the spirit of continuous improvement.
Raise the Good in Food
We have united behind a shared purpose – to Raise the Good in Food. This spans a dramatic transformation of our flagship Maple Leaf brand, replacing anything artificial with simple, natural ingredients; investments and process changes to reduce our environmental footprint by 50% by 2025; building a diverse and inclusive culture where all talent thrives; becoming a leader in animal care; and advancing food security through our charitable foundation, the Maple Leaf Centre for Action on Food Security.
Our Leadership Values
Eight core values guide us in everything that we do.
- Do What’s Right
- Shared Value
- High Performance
- Diverse and Inclusive Teams
- Disciplined Decision Making
- Our Accountability
- Intense Curiosity
- Transparency and Humility
The position of Associate, Product Developer will appeal to individuals who enjoy the challenge of participating in the creation and execution of new and improved/modified products. The individual will need to be self-motivated, team oriented, personally accountable, enjoy a fast-paced environment, dogged in their pursuit of the end goal and capable of bringing creative approaches to the resolution of the broad array of challenges with which they will be confronted. Areas of activity within the department include rapid prototyping, new product development, product reformulation, cost reduction, ingredient evaluation, and investigating food manufacturing processes. He or she must also enjoy the hands-on nature of the job that will require involvement in plant activities. A passion for food science and technology together with the ability to translate theory to practice are critical.
A snapshot of some of the exciting things you will lead and do:
- Conduct required plant experiments in the development of new products and/or product renovations and/or new processes for the experimental plan, conduct experiments and produce documentation.
- Coordinate the gathering of data and interpretation of test results including micro and chemical analyses of products
- Auditing and validating manufacturing processes
- Monitor and follow-through of plant trial products
- Supporting production start-up during the launch of a new or modified product
- Includes spending long hours on the plant floor in refrigerated environment with raw meats.
- Interacting with plant supervisors and machine operators
- Some level of physical work may be required (i.e. lifting up to 20 kg).
- Build the SAP RD skills necessary to complete all SOP changes
- Participate in the sensory evaluation of developed products
- Participates in cross functional teams responsible for projects
- Maintains project files to ensure collection and transfer of learning and knowledge
- Consult technical resources (literature, technical papers, academia, suppliers) to further product knowledge and apply the learning to execute projects.
What we have to offer you:
- Be part of a company with an inspiring and unique vision, with a deep commitment to sustainability and expanding its leadership in sustainable protein across North America
- Competitive Health and Wellness benefits that start on your first day of employment
- Commitment to Learning – courses, resources and tools provided to all employees
- Employee Assistance Program
What you will bring:
We thank all applicants for their interest in exploring employment opportunities with Maple Leaf Foods however only those selected for an interview will be contacted. Applicants may be subject to a background check and must meet the security criteria designated for the position.
- Prior exposure to Product Development, Operations or Quality Control
- Functionally competent in MS Office programs
- Good written and verbal communication skills
- Must enjoy and thrive in a fast-paced environment
- Flexibility of schedule – schedule may require various start times due to plant trials and start ups
Maple Leaf Foods is committed to Employment Equity and maintaining a diverse workforce. Job applicants with a disability who require reasonable accommodation for any part of the application or hiring process can contact our Talent Attraction Team at email@example.com. Reasonable accommodations will be determined on a case-by-case basis and your request will be responded to as soon as possible.