FSQA Supervisor - Contract
A Sustainable, Forward Thinking Protein Company
Maple Leaf Foods is a leading meat and plant-based protein company, employing over 11,500 people and publicly traded on the Toronto Stock Exchange. We are proud of our roots, which trace back well over 100 years, but our vision and purpose are decidedly forward looking. As we pursue our vision to become the most sustainable protein company on earth, we are committed to creating shared value – creative business value through addressing some of the world’s most critical social and environmental challenges. Our goal is to build a more sustainable food system, which provides nutritious affordable food, operates within planetary limits, cares for animals responsibly, and meaningfully engages with our communities to advance a more just society. We are advancing bold changes within Maple Leaf and more broadly within society to pursue our vision. We deeply believe this is the sustainable path to growth.
Our job is to make great food
Maple Leaf Foods embraces a strong values-based culture, where our people are deeply engaged in work that is purposeful, fast-paced and challenging. We cultivate an open, non-bureaucratic and inclusive workplace that fosters safety and transparency, along with individual leadership and accountability. Each Maple Leaf team member has a voice and plays an active role in helping all of us achieve our goals with passion and discipline. We support one another to grow professionally, to learn new skills and to take on challenging experiences in the spirit of continuous improvement.
Raise the Good in Food
We have united behind a shared purpose – to Raise the Good in Food. This spans a dramatic transformation of our flagship Maple Leaf brand, replacing anything artificial with simple, natural ingredients; investments and process changes to reduce our environmental footprint by 50% by 2025; building a diverse and inclusive culture where all talent thrives; becoming a leader in animal care; and advancing food security through our charitable foundation, the Maple Leaf Centre for Action on Food Security.
Our Leadership Values
Eight core values guide us in everything that we do.
- Do What’s Right
- Shared Value
- High Performance
- Diverse and Inclusive Teams
- Disciplined Decision Making
- Our Accountability
- Intense Curiosity
- Transparency and Humility
Food Safety and Quality Assurance Supervisors assist the Food Safety and Quality Assurance Manager in the running of the department. This position of Food Safety and Quality Assurance Supervisor has responsibility for regulatory and food safety programs, as well as administrative tasks associated with the maintenance of our written food safety programs.
A snapshot of some of the exciting things you will lead and do:
- Functions as the back up to other FSQA Supervisors and Manager as required.
- Works closely with the FSQA Manager to help manage the administrative tasks associated with the plant written food safety and quality programs.
- Assists in the development and implementation of training modules for employees
- Assists in planning and budgeting for the QA department.
- Participates in Food Safety Committee meetings.
- Participates in all audits – internal, customer, 3rd party, regulatory etc. as necessary
- Liaises with CFIA
- Assist in the preparation and organization of Quality Assurance staff meetings and all team building activities.
- Active team member on plants recall and crisis management teams.
- Liaises with MLF Corporate QA for food safety issues, policies and procedures.
- Ensures ongoing compliance with written programs.
- Works closely with all departments Managers, Coordinators and employees to identify outstanding issues and helps to facilitate ongoing regulatory compliance and continuous improvement in food safety.
- Supervises the FSQA Technician (Auditors and HIP Auditors) and FSQA Coordinator. Provides coaching, mentoring, personal development plans and succession planning.
- Develops and implements structured, appropriate and timely reporting to all stakeholders. Keeps FSQA Manager informed on all issues.
- Prevent the on-going production of non-compliant product
- Control any non-compliant product that has been produced, perform a food safety assessment and determine appropriate disposition
- Other duties which may be assigned from time to time.
What we have to offer you:
- Be part of a company with an inspiring and unique vision, with a deep commitment to sustainability and expanding its leadership in sustainable protein across North America
- Professional and career development opportunities, supported by our commitment to talent development through our partnership with the Ivey School of Business.
- Competitive Health and Wellness benefits that start on your first day of employment
- Defined Contribution Pension Plan
- Commitment to Learning – courses, resources and tools provided to all employees
- Employee Assistance Program
What you will bring:
We thank all applicants for their interest in exploring employment opportunities with Maple Leaf Foods however only those selected for an interview will be contacted. Applicants may be subject to a background check and must meet the security criteria designated for the position.
- Degree/Diploma from a recognized university or college in a related scientific discipline (microbiology,
- chemistry, food science) and/or equivalent related experience
- Experience in the food industry, preferably in meat processing
- Ability to multitask and maintain focus in a fast paced production environment
- Superior communication, organizational, analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Exceptional working knowledge of MS Office.
Maple Leaf Foods is committed to Employment Equity and maintaining a diverse workforce. Job applicants with a disability who require reasonable accommodation for any part of the application or hiring process can contact our Talent Attraction Team at email@example.com. Reasonable accommodations will be determined on a case-by-case basis and your request will be responded to as soon as possible.