Reliability Team Leader
A Sustainable, Forward Thinking Protein Company
Maple Leaf Foods is a leading meat and plant-based protein company, employing over 11,500 people and publicly traded on the Toronto Stock Exchange. We are proud of our roots, which trace back well over 100 years, but our vision and purpose are decidedly forward looking. As we pursue our vision to become the most sustainable protein company on earth, we are committed to creating shared value – creative business value through addressing some of the world’s most critical social and environmental challenges. Our goal is to build a more sustainable food system, which provides nutritious affordable food, operates within planetary limits, cares for animals responsibly, and meaningfully engages with our communities to advance a more just society. We are advancing bold changes within Maple Leaf and more broadly within society to pursue our vision. We deeply believe this is the sustainable path to growth.
Our job is to make great food
Maple Leaf Foods embraces a strong values-based culture, where our people are deeply engaged in work that is purposeful, fast-paced and challenging. We cultivate an open, non-bureaucratic and inclusive workplace that fosters safety and transparency, along with individual leadership and accountability. Each Maple Leaf team member has a voice and plays an active role in helping all of us achieve our goals with passion and discipline. We support one another to grow professionally, to learn new skills and to take on challenging experiences in the spirit of continuous improvement.
Raise the Good in Food
We have united behind a shared purpose – to Raise the Good in Food. This spans a dramatic transformation of our flagship Maple Leaf brand, replacing anything artificial with simple, natural ingredients; investments and process changes to reduce our environmental footprint by 50% by 2025; building a diverse and inclusive culture where all talent thrives; becoming a leader in animal care; and advancing food security through our charitable foundation, the Maple Leaf Centre for Action on Food Security.
Our Leadership Values
Eight core values guide us in everything that we do.
- Do What’s Right
- Shared Value
- High Performance
- Diverse and Inclusive Teams
- Disciplined Decision Making
- Our Accountability
- Intense Curiosity
- Transparency and Humility
The Maintenance Supervisor reports to the Maintenance Manager. Working closely with other team members, the Maintenance Supervisor strives to maximize facility up time and daily production, while ensuring that all facility equipment is properly maintained through the application of the proper maintenance tactics. Experienced with Six Sigma and RCM, this is a “hands-on” supervisory position which is relied upon to lead tradespeople to excellence in maintenance and the achievement of world class results.
A snapshot of some of the exciting things you will lead and do:
- Manage, motivate, develop and provide direct leadership to maintenance staff;
- Supervise repairs carried out by maintenance staff and/or Contractors;
- Evaluate incoming work notifications and, when warranted, generate and prioritize a work order to cover the work;
- Assist with the implementation of capital projects;
- Ensure that all maintenance work is captured on work orders and entered into the Computerized Maintenance Management System (CMMS);
- Ensure that all scheduled work orders are completed in the allocated time;
- Review completed work orders for correctness and completeness;
- Perform periodic inspections of recently maintained equipment so as to observe the quality of the maintenance performed and the operating condition of the equipment;
- Liaise with Engineering and Operations on matters relating to equipment maintenance and availability;
- Provide guidance to the Planner/Scheduler when approving, prioritizing and estimating work, and technical assistance when developing job plans;
- Participate in various production meetings, KPI review meetings, and pre- and post-maintenance schedule review meetings,
- Assist with the identification of root causes following equipment failures and development of new maintenance tasks to eliminate them in the future;
- Ensure compliance with BRC and CFIA requirements as it relates to food safety and ensure that corrective action requests are dealt with in an effective and timely manner;
- Ensure compliance with all applicable provincial and federal labour regulations and adhere to the terms and conditions specified in the appropriate collective bargaining agreements;
- Demonstrate an active involvement/commitment to a progressive health and safety program and food safety program;
- Provide temporary backup for the Maintenance Manager when necessary; and other responsibilities as required.
What we have to offer you:
- Be part of a company with an inspiring and unique vision, with a deep commitment to sustainability and expanding its leadership in sustainable protein across North America
- Professional and career development opportunities, supported by our commitment to talent development through our partnership with the Ivey School of Business.
- Competitive Health and Wellness benefits that start on your first day of employment
- Defined Contribution Pension Plan
- Commitment to Learning – courses, resources and tools provided to all employees
- Employee Assistance Program
What you will bring:
We thank all applicants for their interest in exploring employment opportunities with Maple Leaf Foods however only those selected for an interview will be contacted. Applicants may be subject to a background check and must meet the security criteria designated for the position.
- At home in a manufacturing environment and have 3 to 5 years of supervisory experience in a unionized environment;
- Familiar with the concept of world class maintenance and best practices;
- Aware of Six Sigma, RCM and autonomous maintenance principles;
- A College graduate from an electro-mechanical program or a licensed tradesperson with related experience;
- Conversant in preventive and predictive maintenance tactics;
- Willing and flexible to work shifts as and when required;
- Comfortable using a Computerized Maintenance Management System (CMMS), SAP-PM preferably;
- Recognized for their ability to troubleshoot and demonstrated organizational skills;
- Strong interpersonal communication and leadership skills;
- Experience in a food processing or manufacturing environment would be an asset.
- Knowledge of ammonia-based plant refrigeration systems and their operation;
- Able to manage maintenance and maintenance resources effectively through the use of key performance indicators and benchmarking; and
- Proven record for identifying reliability issues and participation implementing improvement strategies.
- Highly desirable but optional qualifications include:
- Knowledge and experience with HACCP; and
- Membership in PEMAC or any other professional maintenance association, with or without an MMP designation.
Maple Leaf Foods is committed to Employment Equity and maintaining a diverse workforce. Job applicants with a disability who require reasonable accommodation for any part of the application or hiring process can contact our Talent Attraction Team at firstname.lastname@example.org. Reasonable accommodations will be determined on a case-by-case basis and your request will be responded to as soon as possible.