Finance Manager - Customer Business Team (Sobeys)
A Sustainable, Forward Thinking Protein Company
Maple Leaf Foods is a leading meat and plant-based protein company, employing over 11,500 people and publicly traded on the Toronto Stock Exchange. We are proud of our roots, which trace back well over 100 years, but our vision and purpose are decidedly forward looking. As we pursue our vision to become the most sustainable protein company on earth, we are committed to creating shared value – creative business value through addressing some of the world’s most critical social and environmental challenges. Our goal is to build a more sustainable food system, which provides nutritious affordable food, operates within planetary limits, cares for animals responsibly, and meaningfully engages with our communities to advance a more just society. We are advancing bold changes within Maple Leaf and more broadly within society to pursue our vision. We deeply believe this is the sustainable path to growth.
Our job is to make great food
Maple Leaf Foods embraces a strong values-based culture, where our people are deeply engaged in work that is purposeful, fast-paced and challenging. We cultivate an open, non-bureaucratic and inclusive workplace that fosters safety and transparency, along with individual leadership and accountability. Each Maple Leaf team member has a voice and plays an active role in helping all of us achieve our goals with passion and discipline. We support one another to grow professionally, to learn new skills and to take on challenging experiences in the spirit of continuous improvement.
Raise the Good in Food
We have united behind a shared purpose – to Raise the Good in Food. This spans a dramatic transformation of our flagship Maple Leaf brand, replacing anything artificial with simple, natural ingredients; investments and process changes to reduce our environmental footprint by 50% by 2025; building a diverse and inclusive culture where all talent thrives; becoming a leader in animal care; and advancing food security through our charitable foundation, the Maple Leaf Centre for Action on Food Security.
Our Leadership Values
Eight core values guide us in everything that we do.
- Do What’s Right
- Shared Value
- High Performance
- Diverse and Inclusive Teams
- Disciplined Decision Making
- Our Accountability
- Intense Curiosity
- Transparency and Humility
As a member of the Retail commercial team the Finance Manager will work closely with Customer Business Teams (CBT’s) providing analytical support to annual strategic plans and promotions. The position requires a highly motivated individual to provide top quality, value added analysis and insight. The successful candidate must have exceptional analytical and interpersonal skills, and have experience supporting commercial teams. It will be the responsibility of the Finance Manager to support the CBT with all the necessary analysis and business acumen required to make the optimal business decision.
A snapshot of some of the exciting things you will lead and do:
We thank all applicants for their interest in exploring employment opportunities with Maple Leaf Foods however only those selected for an interview will be contacted. Applicants may be subject to a background check and must meet the security criteria designated for the position.
- Responsibility for developing Business Plans and optimizing financial processes in order to drive efficiencies while maintaining a strong compliance culture:
- Responsible for working with cross functional team to assist in development financial business plan and tracking / explaining variances on an ongoing basis
- Active participation in annual Budget process
- Issue the required weekly / monthly reports, analysis and reconciliation’s – recommend corrective action
- Responsible for understanding and challenging weekly customer variances and communicating them back to the cross-functional CBT team
- Forecast Customer, Regional and Category Profitability:
- Responsible to present ongoing outlook in relation to plan and year ago data by category and customer – present and manage risks and opportunities
- Provide Financial support for all key Commercial Meetings including Monthly performance reviews, Annual Customer Action Plans meetings, Demand Review meetings
- Profit & Loss Statement Understanding:
- Detailed knowledge of Pricing (List Price, Off Invoice & Accruals), Cost of Product, Plant & Distribution by customer, by category; Use this information to identify Product / Customer/ Region Mix for maximized Gross Profit
- Detailed knowledge of Trade spends
- Full knowledge of variances that will impact CBT results (volume variance, inventory revaluation, plant variances); ability to teach cross-functional team the meaning and impact of these variances
- Will conduct ad hoc analysis to improve business performance for the customer/MLF which would improve shareholder value
What we have to offer you:
- Be part of a company with an inspiring and unique vision, with a deep commitment to sustainability and expanding its leadership in sustainable protein across North America
- Professional and career development opportunities, supported by our commitment to talent development through our partnership with the Ivey School of Business.
- Competitive Health and Wellness benefits that start on your first day of employment
- Defined Contribution Pension Plan
- Commitment to Learning – courses, resources and tools provided to all employees
- Employee Assistance Program
What you will bring:
- Post-secondary degree in Accounting or Business required
- Accounting Designation or MBA accreditation is required
- 5 years of value-add analytical experience (previous experience supporting sales and marketing a must)
- Must strongly demonstrate our Maple Leaf Leadership values
- Demonstrated personal leadership
- Must possess strong business acumen and critical thinking
- Must have excellent analysis skills and be a detail-oriented person
- Excellent planning and organizational skills and ability to manage multiple projects
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills
- Self-Motivated with a positive attitude & determined to learn and sharpen skills on an ongoing basis
- Superior computer skills on Microsoft Excel & Microsoft Power BI
- SAP experience an asset
Maple Leaf Foods is committed to Employment Equity and maintaining a diverse workforce. Job applicants with a disability who require reasonable accommodation for any part of the application or hiring process can contact our Talent Attraction Team at firstname.lastname@example.org. Reasonable accommodations will be determined on a case-by-case basis and your request will be responded to as soon as possible.