Occupational Health and Safety Coordinator
A Sustainable, Forward Thinking Protein Company
Maple Leaf Foods is a leading meat and plant-based protein company, employing over 11,500 people and publicly traded on the Toronto Stock Exchange. We are proud of our roots, which trace back well over 100 years, but our vision and purpose are decidedly forward looking. As we pursue our vision to become the most sustainable protein company on earth, we are committed to creating shared value – creative business value through addressing some of the world’s most critical social and environmental challenges. Our goal is to build a more sustainable food system, which provides nutritious affordable food, operates within planetary limits, cares for animals responsibly, and meaningfully engages with our communities to advance a more just society. We are advancing bold changes within Maple Leaf and more broadly within society to pursue our vision. We deeply believe this is the sustainable path to growth.
Our job is to make great food
Maple Leaf Foods embraces a strong values-based culture, where our people are deeply engaged in work that is purposeful, fast-paced and challenging. We cultivate an open, non-bureaucratic and inclusive workplace that fosters safety and transparency, along with individual leadership and accountability. Each Maple Leaf team member has a voice and plays an active role in helping all of us achieve our goals with passion and discipline. We support one another to grow professionally, to learn new skills and to take on challenging experiences in the spirit of continuous improvement.
Raise the Good in Food
We have united behind a shared purpose – to Raise the Good in Food. This spans a dramatic transformation of our flagship Maple Leaf brand, replacing anything artificial with simple, natural ingredients; investments and process changes to reduce our environmental footprint by 50% by 2025; building a diverse and inclusive culture where all talent thrives; becoming a leader in animal care; and advancing food security through our charitable foundation, the Maple Leaf Centre for Action on Food Security.
Our Leadership Values
Eight core values guide us in everything that we do.
- Do What’s Right
- Shared Value
- High Performance
- Diverse and Inclusive Teams
- Disciplined Decision Making
- Our Accountability
- Intense Curiosity
- Transparency and Humility
The Occupational Safety Coordinator will work closely with managers, supervisors and individual employees to promote occupational health and safety within the Brandon plant to develop safer, healthier and more efficient methods of working. This involves maintaining health and safety systems, identifying hazards, and providing advice and support on accident prevention and occupational health.
A snapshot of some of the exciting things you will lead and do:
- Coordinate and conduct training sessions for all employees regarding health and safety practices and legislation
- Work in conjunction with Joint H&S committee members and Safety Captains
- Work in conjunction with the SHARP Coordinators to promote behavioral based safety program
- Develop and communicate H&S policies, procedures, training and orientation manuals,
- Injury statics analysis
- Injury action plan development and implantation
- Perform risk assessments and complete hazard assessments of all job functions
- Perform workplace inspections and complete internal audits as required
- Perform new equipment inspections
- Develop and implement hazard control
- Perform accident investigations
- Coordinate Crisis Response programs
- Work in conjunction with the Ergonomist to identify and control ergonomic hazards.
- Identify safety training requirements, make recommendations to Safety committees and schedule the training as approved and required
- Assist in the identification, development and provision of appropriate health and safety related information, instruction and training (i.e., health and safety handbook and newsletter)
- Maintain a WHMIS Program, including a current SDS and staff training
- Assist in the development, coordination and maintenance of emergency preparedness plans
- Work closely with the managers, staff and contractors ensuring their workers comply with safety legislation while at work
- Monitor and advise on legislative and technical changes relating to health and safety
- Maintain and expand upon professional competence
- Be an active member of the joint Health and Safety Committee.
- Develop JHA, JSA’s and contribute to the safety contents of SOP’s for on the job training.
- Maintain safety related software programs and provide the information as required.
- Participate in accident investigations and assist supervisors with safety related issues.
- Initiate/develop safety promotion programs.
- Monitor machine or equipment changes, ensuring that health and safety precautions are being considered
- Identify potentially hazardous situations and take proactive measures to correct them
- Periodically, act as a team leader for task forces and teams (e.g. leading several supervisors on an audit)
- Review internal and external health and safety reports to determine areas that need improvement; implement measures to minimize occurrence of incidents
What we have to offer you:
- Be part of a company with an inspiring and unique vision, with a deep commitment to sustainability and expanding its leadership in sustainable protein across North America
- Professional and career development opportunities, supported by our commitment to talent development through our partnership with the Ivey School of Business.
- Competitive Health and Wellness benefits that start on your first day of employment
- Defined Contribution Pension Plan
- Commitment to Learning – courses, resources and tools provided to all employees
- Employee Assistance Program
What you will bring:
We thank all applicants for their interest in exploring employment opportunities with Maple Leaf Foods however only those selected for an interview will be contacted. Applicants may be subject to a background check and must meet the security criteria designated for the position.
- Grade 12 completion or equivalency
- Completion or enrollment in an accredited Occupational Health and Safety certification program
- Minimum two years experience in the administration of Occupational Health and Safety policies and legislative compliance
- Experience in a health and safety role, preferably within a manufacturing environment
- Comprehensive knowledge of Occupational Health and Safety legislation combined with training hazard recognition, assessment and control
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills, ability to work with union and management personnel using a collaborative approach
- Ability to take initiative and work independently, as well as part of a team
- Strong computer application (Microsoft Office) and analytical skills
Maple Leaf Foods is committed to Employment Equity and maintaining a diverse workforce. Job applicants with a disability who require reasonable accommodation for any part of the application or hiring process can contact our Talent Attraction Team at email@example.com. Reasonable accommodations will be determined on a case-by-case basis and your request will be responded to as soon as possible.