Occupational Health Care Provider
A Sustainable, Forward Thinking Protein Company
Maple Leaf Foods is a leading meat and plant-based protein company, employing over 11,500 people and publicly traded on the Toronto Stock Exchange. We are proud of our roots, which trace back well over 100 years, but our vision and purpose are decidedly forward looking. As we pursue our vision to become the most sustainable protein company on earth, we are committed to creating shared value – creative business value through addressing some of the world’s most critical social and environmental challenges. Our goal is to build a more sustainable food system, which provides nutritious affordable food, operates within planetary limits, cares for animals responsibly, and meaningfully engages with our communities to advance a more just society. We are advancing bold changes within Maple Leaf and more broadly within society to pursue our vision. We deeply believe this is the sustainable path to growth.
Our job is to make great food
Maple Leaf Foods embraces a strong values-based culture, where our people are deeply engaged in work that is purposeful, fast-paced and challenging. We cultivate an open, non-bureaucratic and inclusive workplace that fosters safety and transparency, along with individual leadership and accountability. Each Maple Leaf team member has a voice and plays an active role in helping all of us achieve our goals with passion and discipline. We support one another to grow professionally, to learn new skills and to take on challenging experiences in the spirit of continuous improvement.
Raise the Good in Food
We have united behind a shared purpose – to Raise the Good in Food. This spans a dramatic transformation of our flagship Maple Leaf brand, replacing anything artificial with simple, natural ingredients; investments and process changes to reduce our environmental footprint by 50% by 2025; building a diverse and inclusive culture where all talent thrives; becoming a leader in animal care; and advancing food security through our charitable foundation, the Maple Leaf Centre for Action on Food Security.
Our Leadership Values
Eight core values guide us in everything that we do.
- Do What’s Right
- Shared Value
- High Performance
- Diverse and Inclusive Teams
- Disciplined Decision Making
- Our Accountability
- Intense Curiosity
- Transparency and Humility
The Occupational Health Care Provider works closely with managers, supervisors and individual employees to maintain, promote and restore employee health, safety and well-being. This position is responsible for the health and welfare of Maple Leaf Consumer Foods, Brandon employees as it pertains to their jobs and to promote a safe and healthy working environment.
A snapshot of some of the exciting things you will lead and do:
- Provide first aid for occupational and non-occupational injuries and illness, including assessments, follow-ups and referral as indicated
- Manage short and long-term disability claims and assist on WCB claims including early intervention, administration, early and safe return to work plans
- Counsel employees on various health-related issues and concerns
- Facilitate and deliver health, wellness and safety education to employees
- Coordinate health surveillance programs including pre-placement health evaluations and hearing tests
- Maintain confidential medical records
- Assessment and delivery of comprehensive first aid/medical treatment
- Decrease health related costs by being a facilitator of care to employees.
- Assist injured and ill employees to reach maximum productivity, decrease absenteeism and reduce compensation benefit costs
- Enhance Maple Leaf’s profile as a responsible and caring company
What we have to offer you:
- Be part of a company with an inspiring and unique vision, with a deep commitment to sustainability and expanding its leadership in sustainable protein across North America
- Professional and career development opportunities, supported by our commitment to talent development through our partnership with the Ivey School of Business.
- Competitive Health and Wellness benefits that start on your first day of employment
- Defined Contribution Pension Plan
- Commitment to Learning – courses, resources and tools provided to all employees
- Employee Assistance Program
What you will bring:
We thank all applicants for their interest in exploring employment opportunities with Maple Leaf Foods however only those selected for an interview will be contacted. Applicants may be subject to a background check and must meet the security criteria designated for the position.
- Holds a current license/registration; Provincial College of Nurses/Provincial Emergency Medical Services
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
- Ability to nurture solid relationships at all levels of the organization and external to the organization
- Strong computer skills
- Strong assessment and problem-solving skills
- Ability to work with union and management personnel in a collaborative environment
- Well-developed written and verbal communications skills
- Candidates applying will have flexibility to work a weekly rotating schedule of days, afternoons and overnights.
Maple Leaf Foods is committed to Employment Equity and maintaining a diverse workforce. Job applicants with a disability who require reasonable accommodation for any part of the application or hiring process can contact our Talent Attraction Team at firstname.lastname@example.org. Reasonable accommodations will be determined on a case-by-case basis and your request will be responded to as soon as possible.