A Sustainable, Forward Thinking Protein Company
Maple Leaf Foods is a leading meat and plant-based protein company, employing over 11,500 people and publicly traded on the Toronto Stock Exchange. We are proud of our roots, which trace back well over 100 years, but our vision and purpose are decidedly forward looking. As we pursue our vision to become the most sustainable protein company on earth, we are committed to creating shared value – creative business value through addressing some of the world’s most critical social and environmental challenges. Our goal is to build a more sustainable food system, which provides nutritious affordable food, operates within planetary limits, cares for animals responsibly, and meaningfully engages with our communities to advance a more just society. We are advancing bold changes within Maple Leaf and more broadly within society to pursue our vision. We deeply believe this is the sustainable path to growth.
Our job is to make great food
Maple Leaf Foods embraces a strong values-based culture, where our people are deeply engaged in work that is purposeful, fast-paced and challenging. We cultivate an open, non-bureaucratic and inclusive workplace that fosters safety and transparency, along with individual leadership and accountability. Each Maple Leaf team member has a voice and plays an active role in helping all of us achieve our goals with passion and discipline. We support one another to grow professionally, to learn new skills and to take on challenging experiences in the spirit of continuous improvement.
Raise the Good in Food
We have united behind a shared purpose – to Raise the Good in Food. This spans a dramatic transformation of our flagship Maple Leaf brand, replacing anything artificial with simple, natural ingredients; investments and process changes to reduce our environmental footprint by 50% by 2025; building a diverse and inclusive culture where all talent thrives; becoming a leader in animal care; and advancing food security through our charitable foundation, the Maple Leaf Centre for Action on Food Security.
Our Leadership Values
Eight core values guide us in everything that we do.
- Do What’s Right
- Shared Value
- High Performance
- Diverse and Inclusive Teams
- Disciplined Decision Making
- Our Accountability
- Intense Curiosity
- Transparency and Humility
Responsible for maintaining and updating the facilities HACCP program at the Toronto Poultry facility (slaughter, processing and distribution) according to CFIA, BRC, Business unit and customer requirements. In addition, the candidate will be responsible for ensuring a safe, cost effective and service oriented department, while providing MLF value-based leadership to employees at the facility.
A snapshot of some of the exciting things you will lead and do:
- Ensures that HACCP system (Pre-requisite and HACCP plans) are maintained and up to date as per current MIR, MOP, FSEP and other applicable legislative requirements.
- Update SOP’s and forms as necessary from HACCP system reassessments, program changes, etc.
- Responsible for annual HACCP and Pre-requisite program reassessment.
- Responsible for scheduling and leading Monthly Food Safety Meeting. HACCP meetings and issues monthly minutes and GMP newsletters.
- Responsible for conducting CVS tasks with CFIA Inspectors at the plant on a day to day basis and ensure all corrective actions are completed in a timely manner.
- Assist with third party audits (CVS, HACCP, BRC, FSQMS or customer) and prepare/coach cross functional managers before and during these audits.
- Assist in follow up and issue any corrective actions, if necessary, based on deviations found in plant process or resulting from customer complaints.
- Conduct annual and new employee training on CCP monitoring and other HACCP SOP’s as required.
- Assist with cross functional SOP development and ensure that facility SOP’s and related documents are in correct format, properly stored and distributed as per manufacturing excellence requirements.
- Investigates and perform food safety risk assessment for food safety related complaints and incidents at the plant.
- Closes off Quality non-conformances in SAP system to ensure continuous improvement activities cited from internal and external audits are acted upon and remain on track.
- Management of HACCP programs to ensure we are meeting all required elements of Food Safety and perform other duties as assigned.
What we have to offer you:
- Be part of a company with an inspiring and unique vision, with a deep commitment to sustainability and expanding its leadership in sustainable protein across North America
- Professional and career development opportunities, supported by our commitment to talent development through our partnership with the Ivey School of Business.
- Competitive Health and Wellness benefits that start on your first day of employment
- Defined Contribution Pension Plan
- Commitment to Learning – courses, resources and tools provided to all employees
- Employee Assistance Program
What you will bring:
The successful candidate will be results-oriented, thrive in a fast paced, demanding environment, and have the ability to develop positive working relationships with all employees. Candidates must have:
We thank all applicants for their interest in exploring employment opportunities with Maple Leaf Foods however only those selected for an interview will be contacted. Applicants may be subject to a background check and must meet the security criteria designated for the position.
- Two (2) to five (5) years of HACCP experience in a food safety or quality assurance role
- Strong experience in developing and maintaining Quality Assurance Programs, HACCP systems and SOP’s
- Post-secondary education relating to Food Science or related discipline
- Excellent organizational, project management, multi-tasking and prioritization skills to be able to work in a fast paced environment
- Strong oral and written communication skills
- Innovative and creative problem solving in finding solutions and opportunities
- Proficient in Microsoft Word, Excel and Windows
- Strong interpersonal skills that allow for conflict resolution
- Experience in SAP would be an asset.
Maple Leaf Foods is committed to Employment Equity and maintaining a diverse workforce. Job applicants with a disability who require reasonable accommodation for any part of the application or hiring process can contact our Talent Attraction Team at firstname.lastname@example.org. Reasonable accommodations will be determined on a case-by-case basis and your request will be responded to as soon as possible.