FSQA Manager, HACCP Systems
A Sustainable, Forward Thinking Protein Company
Maple Leaf Foods is a leading meat and plant-based protein company, employing over 11,500 people and publicly traded on the Toronto Stock Exchange. We are proud of our roots, which trace back well over 100 years, but our vision and purpose are decidedly forward looking. As we pursue our vision to become the most sustainable protein company on earth, we are committed to creating shared value – creative business value through addressing some of the world’s most critical social and environmental challenges. Our goal is to build a more sustainable food system, which provides nutritious affordable food, operates within planetary limits, cares for animals responsibly, and meaningfully engages with our communities to advance a more just society. We are advancing bold changes within Maple Leaf and more broadly within society to pursue our vision. We deeply believe this is the sustainable path to growth.
Our job is to make great food
Maple Leaf Foods embraces a strong values-based culture, where our people are deeply engaged in work that is purposeful, fast-paced and challenging. We cultivate an open, non-bureaucratic and inclusive workplace that fosters safety and transparency, along with individual leadership and accountability. Each Maple Leaf team member has a voice and plays an active role in helping all of us achieve our goals with passion and discipline. We support one another to grow professionally, to learn new skills and to take on challenging experiences in the spirit of continuous improvement.
Raise the Good in Food
We have united behind a shared purpose – to Raise the Good in Food. This spans a dramatic transformation of our flagship Maple Leaf brand, replacing anything artificial with simple, natural ingredients; investments and process changes to reduce our environmental footprint by 50% by 2025; building a diverse and inclusive culture where all talent thrives; becoming a leader in animal care; and advancing food security through our charitable foundation, the Maple Leaf Centre for Action on Food Security.
Our Leadership Values
Eight core values guide us in everything that we do.
- Do What’s Right
- Shared Value
- High Performance
- Diverse and Inclusive Teams
- Disciplined Decision Making
- Our Accountability
- Intense Curiosity
- Transparency and Humility
As a key member of the FSQMS (Food Safety and Quality Management Systems) team, reporting to the Director FSQMS, this role will be an agent of change in the transformation of Maple Leaf HACCP Company Standards in alignment with the strategic direction for HACCP and the FSQA OES Pillar to lead improvement in maturity of HACCP at all facilities as per FSQA maturity model. The vision for MLF HACCP is to escalate the program to the level of MLF EMP Program.
The FSQA Manager, HACCP Systems will have program oversight of implementation of HACCP at all facilities in the network to achieve:
- Execution of our HACCP Programs and systems at the plant level
- Continuous improvement in HACCP metrics (such as reduction in IRCs, CARs, year-over-year)
- Consistency between plants and support new acquisitions into the MLF network
- Provide guidance and coaching to the plants on HACCP programs and systems such as best practices, standard templates, etc.
- Lead implementation and continuation of the modular HACCP approach in all plants
- Compliance to Canadian and US regulatory requirements and Codex requirements
- Compliance to Canadian and US guidelines and regulations by collaborating as required with other MLF functions: Regulatory Affairs, Regulatory Management or Government and Industry Relations (GIR)
A snapshot of some of the exciting things you will lead and do:
- Provide day to day practical support on HACCP
- Support hazard analysis in the introduction of new products, processes, equipment, etc.
- Liaise/interact and collaborate with CFIA/FDA inspectors as required with respect to HACCP concerns
- HACCP Program
- Monitor of HACCP programs at all plants
- Evaluate and assess the effectiveness of the HACCP programs and systems at all facilities
- Create improvement plan to reduce IRCs and CARs across the network
- Develop programs to enhance HACCP implementation and improve re-assessment results
- Develop a HACCP dashboard using metrics to drive improvements in HACCP training and HACCP program outputs
- HACCP Training
- Develop or improve HACCP training modules and materials
- Lead and be an active member of the HACCP coaching network
- Support training and development of all HACCP leaders and HACCP Teams
- Maintain all HACCP Corporate SOPs and Company Standards
What we have to offer you:
- Be part of a company with an inspiring and unique vision, with a deep commitment to sustainability and expanding its leadership in sustainable protein across North America
- Professional and career development opportunities, supported by our commitment to talent development through our partnership with the Ivey School of Business.
- Competitive Health and Wellness benefits that start on your first day of employment
- Defined Contribution Pension Plan
- Commitment to Learning – courses, resources and tools provided to all employees
- Employee Assistance Program
What you will bring:
We thank all applicants for their interest in exploring employment opportunities with Maple Leaf Foods however only those selected for an interview will be contacted. Applicants may be subject to a background check and must meet the security criteria designated for the position.
- Minimum 5 years in food processing, preferably further processed meats or alternative protein
- Minimum 5 years in a HACCP role
- Have managed and executed (developed, implemented and maintained) a HACCP plan/system
- Have led a HACCP team
- Demonstrated competency in project planning, execution, communication and change management
- Bachelor of Science or Bachelor of Engineering
- Supervisory/management experience
- Demonstrated influence without authority
- Demonstrated coaching skills
- Knowledge of Canadian and US regulations
- HACCP certification/accreditation
- GFSI auditing or program experience
Maple Leaf Foods is committed to Employment Equity and maintaining a diverse workforce. Job applicants with a disability who require reasonable accommodation for any part of the application or hiring process can contact our Talent Attraction Team at firstname.lastname@example.org. Reasonable accommodations will be determined on a case-by-case basis and your request will be responded to as soon as possible.