A Sustainable, Forward Thinking Protein Company
Maple Leaf Foods is a leading meat and plant-based protein company, employing over 11,500 people and publicly traded on the Toronto Stock Exchange. We are proud of our roots, which trace back well over 100 years, but our vision and purpose are decidedly forward looking. As we pursue our vision to become the most sustainable protein company on earth, we are committed to creating shared value – creative business value through addressing some of the world’s most critical social and environmental challenges. Our goal is to build a more sustainable food system, which provides nutritious affordable food, operates within planetary limits, cares for animals responsibly, and meaningfully engages with our communities to advance a more just society. We are advancing bold changes within Maple Leaf and more broadly within society to pursue our vision. We deeply believe this is the sustainable path to growth.
Our job is to make great food
Maple Leaf Foods embraces a strong values-based culture, where our people are deeply engaged in work that is purposeful, fast-paced and challenging. We cultivate an open, non-bureaucratic and inclusive workplace that fosters safety and transparency, along with individual leadership and accountability. Each Maple Leaf team member has a voice and plays an active role in helping all of us achieve our goals with passion and discipline. We support one another to grow professionally, to learn new skills and to take on challenging experiences in the spirit of continuous improvement.
Raise the Good in Food
We have united behind a shared purpose – to Raise the Good in Food. This spans a dramatic transformation of our flagship Maple Leaf brand, replacing anything artificial with simple, natural ingredients; investments and process changes to reduce our environmental footprint by 50% by 2025; building a diverse and inclusive culture where all talent thrives; becoming a leader in animal care; and advancing food security through our charitable foundation, the Maple Leaf Centre for Action on Food Security.
Our Leadership Values
Eight core values guide us in everything that we do.
- Do What’s Right
- Shared Value
- High Performance
- Diverse and Inclusive Teams
- Disciplined Decision Making
- Our Accountability
- Intense Curiosity
- Transparency and Humility
To supervise the daily operations of a poultry farm by assuring quality and production objectives are achieved within budget controls. Manage programs and processes in compliance with Animal Welfare, Health and Safety and Biosecurity industry standards.
A snapshot of some of the exciting things you will lead and do:
- assuring adherence to all breeder programs
- assuring adherence to all Animal Welfare programs
- employee management and administration including training and discipline
- ensure employee safety and compliance to the Occupational Health & Safety Act.
- maintaining established production levels of 30,000 - 100,000 broiler/breeders
- ensuring that all company rules, regulations and policies are adhered to
- responsible for development and management of fiscal budgets for location
- scheduling of hourly employees
- create, update and follow company SOP’s
- input daily SAP production data
- participation in development of maintenance program; responsible for capital projects and pricing of equipment
- ensures machinery and equipment are safe, hourly employees are trained and qualified on machinery prior to working on machinery and equipment.
- maintains a safe working environment by educating and directing employees on the use of equipment and resources while maintaining compliance with the OHSA, JHSC recommendations, Company safety rules, GMP’s and CHEQ including documentation
Managing an exceptional turnover of barn livestock and production quotas within industry standards while complying with all Animal Welfare, Health & Safety and BioSecurity protocals.
What we have to offer you:
- Be part of a company with an inspiring and unique vision, with a deep commitment to sustainability and expanding its leadership in sustainable protein across North America
- Professional and career development opportunities, supported by our commitment to talent development through our partnership with the Ivey School of Business.
- Competitive Health and Wellness benefits that start on your first day of employment
- Defined Contribution Pension Plan
- Commitment to Learning – courses, resources and tools provided to all employees
- Employee Assistance Program
What you will bring:
We thank all applicants for their interest in exploring employment opportunities with Maple Leaf Foods however only those selected for an interview will be contacted. Applicants may be subject to a background check and must meet the security criteria designated for the position.
- Demonstrated commitment to safe work practices
- Must understand and follow all CHEQ/Biosecurity/Animal Welfare procedures
- Previous farm experience required; some poultry breeder experience considered an asset
- Leadership experience required
- Proven ability in current position
- Knowledge, understanding and ability to work in a regulated industry
- Reliable transportation – must have a valid driver’s license
- Solid continuous learning attitude demonstrated by an embrace of change and innovation
- Mechanical ability an asset
- Must be available to work weekends and holidays
- Must be on call
- Able to work independently
- Must live within 25 kilometers of the farm
- Completion of 3 or 4 year College program preferred
- Excellent interpersonal, process based, leadership in a supply managed environment
- Solid continuous learning attitude demonstrated by an embrace of change and innovation.
- Good working knowledge of MS Productivity Tools – Word, Excel
- Highly motivated and able to work on their own and as part of a team
- Good writing skills
- Farm operations experience
Maple Leaf Foods is committed to Employment Equity and maintaining a diverse workforce. Job applicants with a disability who require reasonable accommodation for any part of the application or hiring process can contact our Talent Attraction Team at email@example.com. Reasonable accommodations will be determined on a case-by-case basis and your request will be responded to as soon as possible.