Chief Stationary Engineer
A Sustainable, Forward Thinking Protein Company
Maple Leaf Foods is a leading meat and plant-based protein company, employing over 11,500 people and publicly traded on the Toronto Stock Exchange. We are proud of our roots, which trace back well over 100 years, but our vision and purpose are decidedly forward looking. As we pursue our vision to become the most sustainable protein company on earth, we are committed to creating shared value – creative business value through addressing some of the world’s most critical social and environmental challenges. Our goal is to build a more sustainable food system, which provides nutritious affordable food, operates within planetary limits, cares for animals responsibly, and meaningfully engages with our communities to advance a more just society. We are advancing bold changes within Maple Leaf and more broadly within society to pursue our vision. We deeply believe this is the sustainable path to growth.
Our job is to make great food
Maple Leaf Foods embraces a strong values-based culture, where our people are deeply engaged in work that is purposeful, fast-paced and challenging. We cultivate an open, non-bureaucratic and inclusive workplace that fosters safety and transparency, along with individual leadership and accountability. Each Maple Leaf team member has a voice and plays an active role in helping all of us achieve our goals with passion and discipline. We support one another to grow professionally, to learn new skills and to take on challenging experiences in the spirit of continuous improvement.
Raise the Good in Food
We have united behind a shared purpose – to Raise the Good in Food. This spans a dramatic transformation of our flagship Maple Leaf brand, replacing anything artificial with simple, natural ingredients; investments and process changes to reduce our environmental footprint by 50% by 2025; building a diverse and inclusive culture where all talent thrives; becoming a leader in animal care; and advancing food security through our charitable foundation, the Maple Leaf Centre for Action on Food Security.
Our Leadership Values
Eight core values guide us in everything that we do.
- Do What’s Right
- Shared Value
- High Performance
- Diverse and Inclusive Teams
- Disciplined Decision Making
- Our Accountability
- Intense Curiosity
- Transparency and Humility
Reporting to the Maintenance Manager, the Chief Engineer will, in accordance with all governing regulations, provide sound leadership and direction to the Powerhouse, Plant Ammonia, HVAC and Waste Water Treatment systems. The incumbent will ensure the delivery of consistent equipment reliability, energy optimization and asset preservation.
A snap shot of some of the exciting things you will lead and do:
- Maintain a safe and clean work environment by ensuring the plant and powerhouse are operating in accordance with TSSA regulations, ensuring that all work performed complies with governing practices, codes and regulations.
- Maintain accurate records of the safe operation and maintenance of plant systems
- Maintain workflow by planning, scheduling and supervising all work for the efficient operation of the powerhouse and the heating, ventilation, air conditioning and air handling units of the plant.
- Responsible for activities of supervising the hourly Stationary Engineers which includes: enforcing conformance with plant rules, co-ordination of staffing, time and attendance administration, addressing complaints, administration of approved disciplinary measures, communication of employee performance, employee coaching and training
- Suggests and implements corrective actions to improve quality and productivity both within and beyond the scope of their position, through the use of Six Sigma tools.
- Confer with managers and supervisors of other departments to coordinate inter-departmental activities and provide feedback regarding inter-related departmental issues.
- Using sound technical judgment, ensure all production equipment and processes are operating at optimum rates and in accordance with SOP.
- Report all equipment and building deficiencies to Maintenance Manager, and recommend replacements or overhauls as necessary.
- Ensure compliance with internal company policies and standard operating procedures (ie. Food Safety, Quality Assurance, Occupational Health and Safety) in accordance with all applicable legislation and regulations
- Other duties as assigned
What we have to offer you:
- Be part of a company with an inspiring and unique vision, with a deep commitment to sustainability and expanding its leadership in sustainable protein across North America
- Professional and career development opportunities, supported by our commitment to talent development through our partnership with the Ivey School of Business.
- Competitive Health and Wellness benefits that start on your first day of employment
- Defined Contribution Pension Plan
- Commitment to Learning – courses, resources and tools provided to all employees
- Employee Assistance Program
What you will bring:
The successful candidate will be results-oriented, thrive in a fast paced, demanding environment, and have the ability to develop positive working relationships with associates and employees. The preferred candidate will possess the following;
We thank all applicants for their interest in exploring employment opportunities with Maple Leaf Foods however only those selected for an interview will be contacted. Applicants may be subject to a background check and must meet the security criteria designated for the position.
- Second Class Stationary Engineer/Refrigeration Class A License
- 5+ years work experience in a manufacturing environment
- Food manufacturing experience preferred
Maple Leaf Foods is committed to Employment Equity and maintaining a diverse workforce. Job applicants with a disability who require reasonable accommodation for any part of the application or hiring process can contact our Talent Attraction Team at email@example.com. Reasonable accommodations will be determined on a case-by-case basis and your request will be responded to as soon as possible.