A Sustainable, Forward Thinking Protein Company
Maple Leaf Foods is a leading meat and plant-based protein company, employing over 11,500 people and publicly traded on the Toronto Stock Exchange. We are proud of our roots, which trace back well over 100 years, but our vision and purpose are decidedly forward looking. As we pursue our vision to become the most sustainable protein company on earth, we are committed to creating shared value – creative business value through addressing some of the world’s most critical social and environmental challenges. Our goal is to build a more sustainable food system, which provides nutritious affordable food, operates within planetary limits, cares for animals responsibly, and meaningfully engages with our communities to advance a more just society. We are advancing bold changes within Maple Leaf and more broadly within society to pursue our vision. We deeply believe this is the sustainable path to growth.
Our job is to make great food
Maple Leaf Foods embraces a strong values-based culture, where our people are deeply engaged in work that is purposeful, fast-paced and challenging. We cultivate an open, non-bureaucratic and inclusive workplace that fosters safety and transparency, along with individual leadership and accountability. Each Maple Leaf team member has a voice and plays an active role in helping all of us achieve our goals with passion and discipline. We support one another to grow professionally, to learn new skills and to take on challenging experiences in the spirit of continuous improvement.
Raise the Good in Food
We have united behind a shared purpose – to Raise the Good in Food. This spans a dramatic transformation of our flagship Maple Leaf brand, replacing anything artificial with simple, natural ingredients; investments and process changes to reduce our environmental footprint by 50% by 2025; building a diverse and inclusive culture where all talent thrives; becoming a leader in animal care; and advancing food security through our charitable foundation, the Maple Leaf Centre for Action on Food Security.
Our Leadership Values
Eight core values guide us in everything that we do.
- Do What’s Right
- Shared Value
- High Performance
- Diverse and Inclusive Teams
- Disciplined Decision Making
- Our Accountability
- Intense Curiosity
- Transparency and Humility
As part of Maple Leaf Food’s corporate engineering team, this position will provide technical leadership and manage the on site execution of key projects at various facilities. Projects will be aimed at upgrading facilities, equipment redesign, and line modifications within the Maple Leaf Foods Inc capital plan. The Corporate Engineering team is based in the corporate office in Mississauga, ON but the location of this position may be flexible in Ontario, Quebec or Manitoba.
A snapshot of some of the exciting things you will lead and do:
- Develop scope, budget, and schedule for proposed capital projects in collaboration with cross-functional stakeholders
- Manage and supervise the execution of assigned capital projects ($3M-$30M) to budget, timeline and performance targets.
- Ensure assigned projects are managed in accordance with project management best practices and Maple Leaf guidelines and governance.
- Identify all issues critical to budget, timeline and performance and ensure proper coordination to address in a timely manner.
- Monitor and report on the execution of the assigned projects, taking action to coordinate activities and maintain budgets and timelines.
- Assure both food safety and health and safety are prioritized in all aspects of project work
- Ensure the application of all legislative requirements and the appropriate company policies in all areas of capital project execution and technical service.
- Assist operations with emerging issues related to operating plants, including the resolution of process and equipment operational issues and analysis of opportunities for operational enhancements
- Other projects as assigned.
What we have to offer you:
- Be part of a company with an inspiring and unique vision, with a deep commitment to sustainability and expanding its leadership in sustainable protein across North America
- Professional and career development opportunities, supported by our commitment to talent development through our partnership with the Ivey School of Business.
- Competitive Health and Wellness benefits that start on your first day of employment
- Defined Contribution Pension Plan
- Commitment to Learning – courses, resources and tools provided to all employees
- Employee Assistance Program
What you will bring:
We thank all applicants for their interest in exploring employment opportunities with Maple Leaf Foods however only those selected for an interview will be contacted. Applicants may be subject to a background check and must meet the security criteria designated for the position.
- 5+ years extensive capital project management experience in a manufacturing environment.
- Profressional Engineering Designation (P.Eng.)
- Knowledge of food industry GMPs, food safety development and health & safety requirements.
- Proven experience and performance in managing major capital projects execution and successful management of consultants and contractors.
- Knowledge of construction site practices and regulatory requirements
- Knowledge of contract development and execution
- Knowledge if WSIB/WCB and insurance requirements and their management on construction sites
- Excellent interpersonal communications skills at all levels.
- Knowledge of environmental compliance for food manufacturing operations.
- Knowledge of health & safety performance for food manufacturing operations.
Maple Leaf Foods is committed to Employment Equity and maintaining a diverse workforce. Job applicants with a disability who require reasonable accommodation for any part of the application or hiring process can contact our Talent Attraction Team at firstname.lastname@example.org. Reasonable accommodations will be determined on a case-by-case basis and your request will be responded to as soon as possible.