A Sustainable, Forward Thinking Protein Company
Maple Leaf Foods is a leading meat and plant-based protein company, employing over 11,500 people and publicly traded on the Toronto Stock Exchange. We are proud of our roots, which trace back well over 100 years, but our vision and purpose are decidedly forward looking. As we pursue our vision to become the most sustainable protein company on earth, we are committed to creating shared value – creative business value through addressing some of the world’s most critical social and environmental challenges. Our goal is to build a more sustainable food system, which provides nutritious affordable food, operates within planetary limits, cares for animals responsibly, and meaningfully engages with our communities to advance a more just society. We are advancing bold changes within Maple Leaf and more broadly within society to pursue our vision. We deeply believe this is the sustainable path to growth.
Our job is to make great food
Maple Leaf Foods embraces a strong values-based culture, where our people are deeply engaged in work that is purposeful, fast-paced and challenging. We cultivate an open, non-bureaucratic and inclusive workplace that fosters safety and transparency, along with individual leadership and accountability. Each Maple Leaf team member has a voice and plays an active role in helping all of us achieve our goals with passion and discipline. We support one another to grow professionally, to learn new skills and to take on challenging experiences in the spirit of continuous improvement.
Raise the Good in Food
We have united behind a shared purpose – to Raise the Good in Food. This spans a dramatic transformation of our flagship Maple Leaf brand, replacing anything artificial with simple, natural ingredients; investments and process changes to reduce our environmental footprint by 50% by 2025; building a diverse and inclusive culture where all talent thrives; becoming a leader in animal care; and advancing food security through our charitable foundation, the Maple Leaf Centre for Action on Food Security.
Our Leadership Values
Eight core values guide us in everything that we do.
HEATH & SAFETY COODINATOR - WINNIPEG
- Do What’s Right
- Shared Value
- High Performance
- Diverse and Inclusive Teams
- Disciplined Decision Making
- Our Accountability
- Intense Curiosity
- Transparency and Humility
The incumbent will assist the H & S Manager in the on-going development and enhancement of the plant’s Occupational Health & Safety Program and Environmental program. This involves providing technical support, training, implementation and maintenance of the programs to and for all employees and visitors. This position is accountable for ensuring compliance with all health and safety, food safety and HACCP regulations and procedures
A SNAP SHOT OF SOME OF THE EXCITING THINGS YOU WILL DO:
What we have to offer you:
- Provides support to hourly and salaried staff by having a visible presence on the production floor, extols safety promotion plans, goals, objectives, measurements; and, fosters good staff relationships in order to gain commitment from all employees,
- Develops and delivers occupational health and safety training to employees such as but not limited to Safety Orientation for New Hires, WHMIS, Spill Response, Power Truck Training, Lock Out, Confined Space Entry, Accident Investigation, etc.,
- Conducts job hazard analysis, physical demands analysis, and then creates safe work procedures,
- Provides assistance to supervisors in accident investigations, identifying root causes, reporting, documentation and follow-up, and initiates corrective action in concert with the departmental managers, etc.,
- Monitors departmental safety meetings, advises on legislated and industry changes, and coordinates the Supervisor Safety Program,
- Seeks continuous improvement to safety programs by assisting in monthly departmental safety inspections, periodic and annual audits, and the implementation of subsequent action plans,
- Assists in ensuring compliance with Corporate policies and legislative requirements,
- Produces reports and statistical information, performs administrative duties of data entry and filing,
- Coordinates all aspects of the plant’s environmental aspects including the water, waste-water, environmental management system and regulatory reporting and liaison
- Maintain/Monitor all systems to keep the plant in compliance with all Federal, Provincial, & Corporate Environmental regulations
- Develop plant-specific environmental standard operating procedures
- Other duties may be assigned.
What you will bring:
- Be part of a company with an inspiring and unique vision, with a deep commitment to sustainability and expanding its leadership in sustainable protein across North America
- Professional and career development opportunities, supported by our commitment to talent development through our partnership with the Ivey School of Business.
- Competitive Health and Wellness benefits that start on your first day of employment
- Defined Contribution Pension Plan
- Commitment to Learning – courses, resources and tools provided to all employees
- Employee Assistance Program
- Grade 12 with preference to post secondary education directly related to occupational health and safety with a minimum of 2 years’ related experience in a manufacturing or process industry,
- CPR and Standard First Aid Certificates (or a willingness to obtain same within one year of hire as a condition of employment),
- Possess or be in the process of obtaining the CRSP designation,
- Knowledge of Manitoba environmental laws and regulations
- Strong PC skills and experience with Microsoft Office software applications.
Please note this is an overnight shift we are hiring for working Monday - Thursday nights from 10:00pm - 8:30am
We thank all applicants for their interest in exploring employment opportunities with Maple Leaf Foods however only those selected for an interview will be contacted. Applicants may be subject to a background check and must meet the security criteria designated for the position.
Maple Leaf Foods is committed to Employment Equity and maintaining a diverse workforce. Job applicants with a disability who require reasonable accommodation for any part of the application or hiring process can contact our Talent Attraction Team at firstname.lastname@example.org. Reasonable accommodations will be determined on a case-by-case basis and your request will be responded to as soon as possible.