A Sustainable, Forward Thinking Protein Company
Maple Leaf Foods is a leading meat and plant-based protein company, employing over 11,500 people and publicly traded on the Toronto Stock Exchange. We are proud of our roots, which trace back well over 100 years, but our vision and purpose are decidedly forward looking. As we pursue our vision to become the most sustainable protein company on earth, we are committed to creating shared value – creative business value through addressing some of the world’s most critical social and environmental challenges. Our goal is to build a more sustainable food system, which provides nutritious affordable food, operates within planetary limits, cares for animals responsibly, and meaningfully engages with our communities to advance a more just society. We are advancing bold changes within Maple Leaf and more broadly within society to pursue our vision. We deeply believe this is the sustainable path to growth.
Our job is to make great food
Maple Leaf Foods embraces a strong values-based culture, where our people are deeply engaged in work that is purposeful, fast-paced and challenging. We cultivate an open, non-bureaucratic and inclusive workplace that fosters safety and transparency, along with individual leadership and accountability. Each Maple Leaf team member has a voice and plays an active role in helping all of us achieve our goals with passion and discipline. We support one another to grow professionally, to learn new skills and to take on challenging experiences in the spirit of continuous improvement.
Raise the Good in Food
We have united behind a shared purpose – to Raise the Good in Food. This spans a dramatic transformation of our flagship Maple Leaf brand, replacing anything artificial with simple, natural ingredients; investments and process changes to reduce our environmental footprint by 50% by 2025; building a diverse and inclusive culture where all talent thrives; becoming a leader in animal care; and advancing food security through our charitable foundation, the Maple Leaf Centre for Action on Food Security.
Our Leadership Values
Six core values guide us in everything that we do.
Food Safety & Quality Assurance Supervisor – Bradford (Afternoon shift)
- Do what’s right
- Deliver winning results
- Build collaborative teams
- Get things done in a fact-based, disciplined way
- Learn and grow, inwardly and outwardly
- Dare to be transparent, passionate and humble
As a key leader on the FSQA team, the FSQA Supervisor is responsible for ensuring the Quality Assurance and Food Safety programs and protocols are executed effectively at the facility. By leading in a values aligned fashion, the Supervisor plays a critical role in creating and maintaining a service-oriented team built on the foundations of Food Safety.
A snap shot of some of the exciting things you will lead and do:
What you will bring:
- Maintain, update and ensure consistent execution of QA programs to align with internal and external requirements.
- Supervise a staff of QA Technicians ensuring that tasks are conducted consistently, efficiently and aligned with the needs of the business and those of our stakeholders.
- Plan QA staffing requirements according to production demands, including approving of payroll hours on a daily/weekly basis and vacation scheduling.
- Assist with HACCP and MLF Food Safety and Quality program updates, maintenance, verification and act as a cross functional liaison to ensure the plant is meeting regulatory compliance requirements for all stakeholders.
- Maintain, update and ensure consistent execution of current QA programs and internal SOPs and compliance with BU and CFIA requirements.
- Assist with analysis of sanitation data to determine root cause of deficiencies and provide sanitation team feedback on performance and necessary improvements.
- Assist with third party audits (CFIA, CVS, HACCP, BRC, FSQMS or customer) and prepare/coach cross functional managers before and during these audits.
- Participate in cross functional SOP development and ensure that facility SOPs and related documents are in correct format, properly stored and distributed as per manufacturing excellence requirements.
- Conducting monthly internal and external audits with cross-functional team and identifying opportunities for improvement.
- Assist in follow up and issue any corrective actions, if necessary, based on deviation found in plant process or resulting from customer complaints.
- Provide functional support to crisis team including functioning as recall coordinator.
- Develop a constructive work environment through excellent interpersonal, team building skills, open communications, encouraging input and constructive performance management.
- Maintain an attitude of continuous improvement and training of employees at hourly and salary levels.
- Take lead on executing various initiatives to improve the quality and safety of our process and products.
- Support QA and Food Safety functions on after-hours shifts as required.
- Support to Six Sigma projects.
- Other duties as assigned.
What we have to offer you:
- University degree or college diploma preferably in Chemistry, Microbiology, Food Science or a related discipline.
- 3 to 5 years food related experience in areas of GMP and HACCP principles and programs at a Supervisory level
- Must have in-depth HACCP experience including; program development; implementation of programs and auditing of the program.
- Proven ability to lead and coach.
- Superior communication skills.
- Strong systems skills (including MS Office).
- Demonstrated alignment to the Maple Leaf Leadership Values.
- SAP experience would be considered an asset
- Detail oriented with strong organizational, project management, presentation, and prioritization skills
We thank all applicants for their interest in exploring employment opportunities with Maple Leaf Foods however only those selected for an interview will be contacted. Applicants may be subject to a background check and must meet the security criteria designated for the position.
- Career development opportunities. Your career will not stop at this role, this is just the beginning
- Competitive Health and Wellness benefits that start on your first day of employment
- Defined Contribution Pension Plan
- Commitment to Learning – courses, resources and tools provided to all employees
- Employee Assistance Program
Maple Leaf Foods is committed to Employment Equity and maintaining a diverse workforce. Job applicants with a disability who require reasonable accommodation for any part of the application or hiring process can contact our Talent Attraction Team at firstname.lastname@example.org. Reasonable accommodations will be determined on a case-by-case basis and your request will be responded to as soon as possible.