A Sustainable, Forward Thinking Protein Company
Maple Leaf Foods is a leading meat and plant-based protein company, employing over 11,500 people and publicly traded on the Toronto Stock Exchange. We are proud of our roots, which trace back well over 100 years, but our vision and purpose are decidedly forward looking. As we pursue our vision to become the most sustainable protein company on earth, we are committed to creating shared value – creative business value through addressing some of the world’s most critical social and environmental challenges. Our goal is to build a more sustainable food system, which provides nutritious affordable food, operates within planetary limits, cares for animals responsibly, and meaningfully engages with our communities to advance a more just society. We are advancing bold changes within Maple Leaf and more broadly within society to pursue our vision. We deeply believe this is the sustainable path to growth.
Our job is to make great food
Maple Leaf Foods embraces a strong values-based culture, where our people are deeply engaged in work that is purposeful, fast-paced and challenging. We cultivate an open, non-bureaucratic and inclusive workplace that fosters safety and transparency, along with individual leadership and accountability. Each Maple Leaf team member has a voice and plays an active role in helping all of us achieve our goals with passion and discipline. We support one another to grow professionally, to learn new skills and to take on challenging experiences in the spirit of continuous improvement.
Raise the Good in Food
We have united behind a shared purpose – to Raise the Good in Food. This spans a dramatic transformation of our flagship Maple Leaf brand, replacing anything artificial with simple, natural ingredients; investments and process changes to reduce our environmental footprint by 50% by 2025; building a diverse and inclusive culture where all talent thrives; becoming a leader in animal care; and advancing food security through our charitable foundation, the Maple Leaf Centre for Action on Food Security.
Our Leadership Values
Six core values guide us in everything that we do.
- Do what’s right
- Deliver winning results
- Build collaborative teams
- Get things done in a fact-based, disciplined way
- Learn and grow, inwardly and outwardly
- Dare to be transparent, passionate and humble
The successful candidate will be responsible to ensure that all Food Safety, GMP, HACCP and other Quality Assurance Program requirements are consistently achieved with a sense of urgency at the facility. In addition, the candidate is responsible for ensuring a safe, cost effective and service-oriented department, while providing values-based leadership at the facility. This position will be heavily involved in pre-op inspections therefore must be able to work overnight as well as on some weekends when required.
A snap shot of some of the exciting things you will lead and do:
What we have to offer you:
- Provide support and guidance to the Sanitation Manager and Sanitation Department for food safety related issues.
- Perform daily Pre-operational inspection in assigned areas and ensure all findings are addressed in a timely manner.
- Responsible for planning and executing of environmental monitoring program (EMP) including TPC and ATP swabbing, plating, and reporting.
- Lead the daily thermometer verification program including issuing new equipment maintaining inventory.
- Provide support and direction to Production Supervisors on the overnight shift.
- Provide leadership and direction to Operators on the line with particular focus on Critical Control Points (CCPs) and documentation.
- Review and approve packaging label updates in preparation for production.
- Collect raw meat samples, conduct raw material sensory assessment, and communicate results to Operations.
- Write, revise and maintain Quality and Sanitation SSOPs and FSQA SOPs including maintenance of the SSOPs, FSQA SOPs and directories.
- Conduct CCP and/or prerequisite program training including verification of training effectiveness and progressive disciplinary action as required. This includes training related to implementation of new programs and corrective actions related to deviations.
- Conduct HACCP reassessment, monitoring, and verification as per regulations including updates to forms, document and programs as required.
- As a member of the cross-functional team, investigate, document (In SAP Non-conformance system) and establish/implement appropriate corrective action to address deviations (Non-conformances) related to all programs with specific focus on CCPs and quality critical non-conformances. Maintain “Hold and Release” databases (internal and SAP). There is a requirement for Root Cause Analysis competency.
- Immediately address deviations of FS/QA procedures by coaching, re-training or escalation including progressive discipline as required.
- Support all aspects of audit preparation and execution (internal and external) including documentation preparation, program review, on-site inspection, training and other duties as required.
- Performance of other SAP functions as required such as hold/release program, inspection lot oversight, usage decisions, etc.
- Provide support to hourly Production Operators in delivery of FS/QA procedures
- Participate in management meetings, period review, Town hall meetings, other communication sessions, etc.
- Assist CFIA inspectors with CVS tasks or other support as requested.
- Participate in Six Sigma projects.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
What you will bring:
- Be part of a company with an inspiring and unique vision, with a deep commitment to sustainability and expanding its leadership in sustainable protein across North America
- Professional and career development opportunities, supported by our commitment to talent development through our partnership with the Ivey School of Business.
- Competitive Health and Wellness benefits that start on your first day of employment
- Defined Contribution Pension Plan
- Commitment to Learning – courses, resources and tools provided to all employees
- Employee Assistance Program
We thank all applicants for their interest in exploring employment opportunities with Maple Leaf Foods however only those selected for an interview will be contacted. Applicants may be subject to a background check and must meet the security criteria designated for the position.
- Bachelor of Science or Diploma in Food Safety/Science program or equivalent experience
- Previous experience in a technical food safety role
- Strong understanding of Sanitation, SOPs, Pre-requisite Programs, HACCP, CCP’s and GMP’s
- Experience in the food industry preferred
- Intermediate to exceptional MS Office skills
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Strong oral and written communication skills
- Excellent organization and planning skills
- High attention to detail
- The ability to work cooperatively in a Team environment
- Ability to work with a variety of people and to be assertive as required
- Ability to work effectively under minimal supervision
- Strong time management skills with an ability to work in an environment with shifting priorities
- Willingness to learn and teach others, be self directed and motivated
- Strong aptitude and inclination to learn
- Candidate must be business, results and values oriented, work as part of a functional team and be an exceptional fit with our Maple Leaf Leadership values.
Maple Leaf Foods is committed to Employment Equity and maintaining a diverse workforce. Job applicants with a disability who require reasonable accommodation for any part of the application or hiring process can contact our Talent Attraction Team at firstname.lastname@example.org. Reasonable accommodations will be determined on a case-by-case basis and your request will be responded to as soon as possible.