A Sustainable, Forward Thinking Protein Company
Maple Leaf Foods is a leading meat and plant-based protein company, employing over 11,500 people and publicly traded on the Toronto Stock Exchange. We are proud of our roots, which trace back well over 100 years, but our vision and purpose are decidedly forward looking. As we pursue our vision to become the most sustainable protein company on earth, we are committed to creating shared value – creative business value through addressing some of the world’s most critical social and environmental challenges. Our goal is to build a more sustainable food system, which provides nutritious affordable food, operates within planetary limits, cares for animals responsibly, and meaningfully engages with our communities to advance a more just society. We are advancing bold changes within Maple Leaf and more broadly within society to pursue our vision. We deeply believe this is the sustainable path to growth
Our job is to make great food
Maple Leaf Foods embraces a strong values-based culture, where our people are deeply engaged in work that is purposeful, fast-paced and challenging.We cultivate an open, non-bureaucratic and inclusive workplace that fosters safety and transparency, along with individual leadership and accountability. Each Maple Leaf team member has a voice and plays an active role in helping all of us achieve our goals with passion and discipline. We support one another to grow professionally, to learn new skills and to take on challenging experiences in the spirit of continuous improvement
Raise the Good in Food
We have united behind a shared purpose – to Raise the Good in Food. This spans a dramatic transformation of our flagship Maple Leaf brand, replacing anything artificial with simple, natural ingredients; investments and process changes to reduce our environmental footprint by 50% by 2025; building a diverse and inclusive culture where all talent thrives; becoming a leader in animal care; and advancing food security through our charitable foundation, the Maple Leaf Centre for Action on Food Security.
Our Leadership Values
Eight core values guide us in everything that we do.
- Do What’s Right
- Shared Value
- High Performance
- Diverse and Inclusive Teams
- Disciplined Decision Making
- Our Accountability
- Intense Curiosity
- Transparency and Humility
Night Shift = 11:30pm - 8:00am
As a Maintenance Supervisor, you will have an opportunity to provide leadership and guidance to the Maintenance team to ensure safe, effective, and efficient execution of all maintenance work. You will gain ‘hands-on’ supervisory experience, lead by example and inspire your team to deliver top results. This role will allow you to foster an environment that is passionate about safety, seek opportunities for continuous improvement, and implement best practice processes to move towards a world class maintenance program.
A snapshot of some of the exciting things you will lead and do:
- Manage, motivate, develop and provide direct leadership to maintenance staff by reinforcing and encouraging a high-performance culture and safe working environment for all employees.
- Communicate and coordinate maintenance activities within the team and with all relevant stakeholders such as Operations, Sanitation, Engineering, Food Safety Quality Assurance and Health & Safety.
- Lead and support critical communication rhythms and meetings such as shift handovers, production reviews, maintenance scheduling and KPI review meetings
- Ensure there is efficient utilization of resources by managing maintenance staff capacity and floor coverage.
- Accountable for timely execution of all scheduled work and provides guidance to team members on prioritization of work including emergency/breakdown work.
- Responsible for monitoring and implementing actions to meet or exceed KPI targets
- Supervise and periodically audit maintenance work completed by team members and/or Contractors ensuring work is completed following all company policies and procedures including GMP, Health & Safety and Food Safety requirements.
- Ensure all maintenance work completed is accurately documented in SAP EAM
- Regularly review maintenance work requests and generate maintenance work orders when necessary
- Provide guidance to Maintenance Planning and Scheduling teams on priorities, work scope and development of maintenance strategies.
- Support planning, scheduling and execution of capital projects and shutdowns/turnarounds/asset restoration plans.
- Ensure compliance with all internal/external auditors and support execution of corrective actions when deficiencies are identified.
- Ensure compliance with all applicable provincial and federal labour regulations and adhere to the terms and conditions specified in the appropriate collective bargaining agreements.
- Lead and/or support execution of Root Cause Failure Analysis to mitigate repeat failures and reduce unplanned downtime.
- Represent Maintenance on cross-functional project teams and support implementation of continuous improvement projects.
What we have to offer you:
- Be part of a company with an inspiring and unique vision, with a deep commitment to sustainability and expanding its leadership in sustainable protein across North America
- Professional and career development opportunities
- Competitive Health and Wellness benefits that start on your first day of employment
- Defined Contribution Pension Plan
- Commitment to Learning – courses, resources and tools provided to all employees
- Employee Assistance Program
What you will bring:
The successful candidate will be results-oriented, thrive in a fast-paced environment, and have the ability to develop positive working relationships with all employees.
At home in a manufacturing environment and have 3 to 5 years of supervisory experience in a unionized environment.
Strong interpersonal, communication and leadership skills
Demonstrated ability to exercise effective prioritization and judgment in business decisions
Familiar with the concept of world class maintenance and best practices
Aware of Six Sigma, RCM and autonomous maintenance principles
A College/University graduate from an electro-mechanical program or a licensed tradesperson with related experience
Conversant in preventive and predictive maintenance tactics
Willing and flexible to work shifts as and when required
Comfortable using a Computerized Maintenance Management System (CMMS), SAP-EAM preferably
Recognized for their ability to troubleshoot and demonstrated organizational skills
Experience in a food processing or manufacturing environment would be an asset
Able to manage resources effectively using key performance indicators and benchmarking
Proven record for identifying issues and implementing solutions to mitigate repeat failures
Maple Leaf Foods is committed to ensuring the health and safety of all our employees. As part of this commitment, we have adopted a number of COVID-19 safety measures, including a requirement for all employees to be fully vaccinated by March 31, 2022 and to show proof of vaccination. In keeping with this policy, successful candidates will need to provide proof of vaccination by March 31, 2022 (or prior to their first day of work if the start date is after March 31, 2022). We will of course consider accommodations for anyone unable to be vaccinated following human rights and other applicable laws
We thank all applicants for their interest in exploring employment opportunities with Maple Leaf Foods; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted. Applicants may be subject to a background check and must meet the security criteria designated for the position.
Championing diversity and inclusion is a critical component to advancing our collective purpose and vision, living the Maple Leaf Leadership Values, and delivering winning results. Accommodation is available upon request for applicants with disabilities in the recruitment and assessment process and when hired; please contact our Talent Attraction Team at email@example.com.