A Sustainable, Forward Thinking Protein Company
Maple Leaf Foods is a leading meat and plant-based protein company, employing over 11,500 people and publicly traded on the Toronto Stock Exchange. We are proud of our roots, which trace back well over 100 years, but our vision and purpose are decidedly forward looking. As we pursue our vision to become the most sustainable protein company on earth, we are committed to creating shared value – creative business value through addressing some of the world’s most critical social and environmental challenges. Our goal is to build a more sustainable food system, which provides nutritious affordable food, operates within planetary limits, cares for animals responsibly, and meaningfully engages with our communities to advance a more just society. We are advancing bold changes within Maple Leaf and more broadly within society to pursue our vision. We deeply believe this is the sustainable path to growth.
Our job is to make great food
Maple Leaf Foods embraces a strong values-based culture, where our people are deeply engaged in work that is purposeful, fast-paced and challenging.We cultivate an open, non-bureaucratic and inclusive workplace that fosters safety and transparency, along with individual leadership and accountability. Each Maple Leaf team member has a voice and plays an active role in helping all of us achieve our goals with passion and discipline. We support one another to grow professionally, to learn new skills and to take on challenging experiences in the spirit of continuous improvement
Raise the Good in Food
We have united behind a shared purpose – to Raise the Good in Food. This spans a dramatic transformation of our flagship Maple Leaf brand, replacing anything artificial with simple, natural ingredients; investments and process changes to reduce our environmental footprint by 50% by 2025; building a diverse and inclusive culture where all talent thrives; becoming a leader in animal care; and advancing food security through our charitable foundation, the Maple Leaf Centre for Action on Food Security.
Our Leadership Values
Eight core values guide us in everything that we do.
- Do What’s Right
- Shared Value
- High Performance
- Diverse and Inclusive Teams
- Disciplined Decision Making
- Our Accountability
- Intense Curiosity
- Transparency and Humility
The Senior Finance Analyst is a key member of the Agricultural Operations – Poultry Finance team. With a strong professional and technical background, the SFA provides analytical and financial expertise through monthly reporting and variance analysis, optimization of hatchery systems, and compliance to financial policies and procedures. The SFA will play a key role in the budget and forecast process and perform ongoing analysis of results versus budget as well as provide financial support to strategic projects. This role interacts frequently with employees at various levels of AgOps and Live Operations as well as Head office. This position is an excellent opportunity to gain detailed insight into Canadian Supply Management and industry issues impacting hatchery, breeder farms and broiler procurement for Maple Leaf Foods.
A snapshot of some of the exciting things you will lead and do:
- Supervise one direct report – Finance Analyst
- Interpret financial results and recommend and support potential courses of action to drive costs out and maximize earnings
- Proactively lead financial analysis and provide business insight to support strategic initiatives
- Build leadership capabilities through active participation/leadership of projects with a broad scope
- Accurate and timely execution of weekly & monthly financial reporting and analysis of variances to budget with a strong focus on both proactive process improvement and financial commentary
- Completion and submission of monthly standard changes and regulatory pricing updates.
- Optimize SAP standard costing and completion of costings for new materials
- Annual Tax Package for Agricultural Farm Operations
- C3 Compliance and testing of controls
- Complete monthly balance sheet account reconciliations
- Quarterback the Agricultural Operations and National Live Procurement annual budget
- Actively build Six Sigma skills by identifying, developing and recommending improvements that will eliminate non-value-added work, create efficiencies, uncover cost savings and improve internal controls
- Optimize finance applications and transactional databases to provide accurate and timely financial processing and reporting
- Will conduct ad hoc analysis as required to improve business performance
What we have to offer you:
- Be part of a company with an inspiring and unique vision, with a deep commitment to sustainability and expanding its leadership in sustainable protein across North America
- Professional and career development opportunities, supported by our commitment to talent development through our partnership with the Ivey School of Business.
- Competitive Health and Wellness benefits that start on your first day of employment
- Defined Contribution Pension Plan
- Commitment to Learning – courses, resources and tools provided to all employees
- Employee Assistance Program
What you will bring:
- Post Secondary Degree in Accounting/Finance/Business Administration
- Minimum 3 to 5 years cost accounting experience in a manufacturing environment
- Professional accounting designation (CA, CMA, CGA) strongly preferred
- High sense of urgency, well organized, ability to manage multiple tasks and able to prioritize effectively
- Strong computer skills in Microsoft Office suite and ability to effectively use transactional databases
- SAP & Business Analytics
- Strong analytical and problem solving skills
- Well developed communication and interpersonal skills
- Strong business acumen with an interest in improving processes
Maple Leaf Foods is committed to ensuring the health and safety of all our employees. As part of this commitment, we have adopted a number of COVID-19 safety measures, including a requirement for all employees to be fully vaccinated by March 31, 2022 and to show proof of vaccination. In keeping with this policy, successful candidates will need to provide proof of vaccination by March 31, 2022 (or prior to their first day of work if the start date is after March 31, 2022). We will of course consider accommodations for anyone unable to be vaccinated following human rights and other applicable laws
We thank all applicants for their interest in exploring employment opportunities with Maple Leaf Foods; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted. Applicants may be subject to a background check and must meet the security criteria designated for the position.
Championing diversity and inclusion is a critical component to advancing our collective purpose and vision, living the Maple Leaf Leadership Values, and delivering winning results. Accommodation is available upon request for applicants with disabilities in the recruitment and assessment process and when hired; please contact our Talent Attraction Team at firstname.lastname@example.org.