A Sustainable, Forward Thinking Protein Company
Maple Leaf Foods is a leading meat and plant-based protein company, employing over 11,500 people and publicly traded on the Toronto Stock Exchange. We are proud of our roots, which trace back well over 100 years, but our vision and purpose are decidedly forward looking. As we pursue our vision to become the most sustainable protein company on earth, we are committed to creating shared value – creative business value through addressing some of the world’s most critical social and environmental challenges. Our goal is to build a more sustainable food system, which provides nutritious affordable food, operates within planetary limits, cares for animals responsibly, and meaningfully engages with our communities to advance a more just society. We are advancing bold changes within Maple Leaf and more broadly within society to pursue our vision. We deeply believe this is the sustainable path to growth.
Our job is to make great food
Maple Leaf Foods embraces a strong values-based culture, where our people are deeply engaged in work that is purposeful, fast-paced and challenging.We cultivate an open, non-bureaucratic and inclusive workplace that fosters safety and transparency, along with individual leadership and accountability. Each Maple Leaf team member has a voice and plays an active role in helping all of us achieve our goals with passion and discipline. We support one another to grow professionally, to learn new skills and to take on challenging experiences in the spirit of continuous improvement
Raise the Good in Food
We have united behind a shared purpose – to Raise the Good in Food. This spans a dramatic transformation of our flagship Maple Leaf brand, replacing anything artificial with simple, natural ingredients; investments and process changes to reduce our environmental footprint by 50% by 2025; building a diverse and inclusive culture where all talent thrives; becoming a leader in animal care; and advancing food security through our charitable foundation, the Maple Leaf Centre for Action on Food Security.
Our Leadership Values
Eight core values guide us in everything that we do.
- Do What’s Right
- Shared Value
- High Performance
- Diverse and Inclusive Teams
- Disciplined Decision Making
- Our Accountability
- Intense Curiosity
- Transparency and Humility
This position provides financial leadership, support and analysis to the plant management team, and has responsibility for accuracy of all plant financial reporting, and oversight execution of standard control processes. This position contributes to the identification of areas for process improvement, and assists in implementation, as well as assists in completion and review of business case analysis for capital spending.
A snapshot of some of the exciting things you will lead and do:
- Be an active business partner to the plant operations team
- Interpreting financial results, and providing analysis to plant management and operations leadership
- Identifying, recommending and supporting cost improvement opportunities in line with the plant’s culture of continuous improvement
- Daily, monthly and weekly analysis and reporting of plant results
- Weekly and monthly forecast updates for overheads and direct product costs
- Period end close
- Support an effective control environment at the facility
- Development of new product costing (from development to launch), and ensure product costs accurately reflect the manufacturing process
- Providing financial analysis for business cases to support capital projects
- Managing the budgeting process for direct product cost and overheads
- On site responsibility to ensure accounting procedures adhere to International Financial Reporting Standards (IFRS) and approved corporate policies.
- Provide guidance and coaching to non-finance managers regarding issues of financial control and compliance
- Provide ad-hoc analysis to support projects and business decisions as required
- Provide cross-facility support during absences and vacations
What we have to offer you:
- Be part of a company with an inspiring and unique vision, with a deep commitment to sustainability and expanding its leadership in sustainable protein across North America
- Professional and career development opportunities, supported by our commitment to talent development through our partnership with the Ivey School of Business.
- Competitive Health and Wellness benefits that start on your first day of employment
- Defined Contribution Pension Plan
- Commitment to Learning – courses, resources and tools provided to all employees
- Employee Assistance Program
What you will bring:
- Post Secondary Education in a finance/business related program required
- 5+ years of progressive finance experience in an ERP environment (SAP preferred)
- Completion of professional accounting designation program (CGA, CA, CMA) preferred
- Ability to work independently
- Strong attention to detail
- Strong problem-solving skills
- Ability to coach and mentor others
- Excellent planning and organizational skills
- Ability to manage multiple priorities and deadlines
- Ability to work and drive improvements within a team environment
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills with the ability to present financial information to non- financial functions.
- Advanced knowledge of MS office and experience with SAP
Maple Leaf Foods is committed to ensuring the health and safety of all our employees. As part of this commitment, we have adopted a number of COVID-19 safety measures, including a requirement for all employees to be fully vaccinated by March 31, 2022 and to show proof of vaccination. In keeping with this policy, successful candidates will need to provide proof of vaccination by March 31, 2022 (or prior to their first day of work if the start date is after March 31, 2022). We will of course consider accommodations for anyone unable to be vaccinated following human rights and other applicable laws
We thank all applicants for their interest in exploring employment opportunities with Maple Leaf Foods; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted. Applicants may be subject to a background check and must meet the security criteria designated for the position.
Championing diversity and inclusion is a critical component to advancing our collective purpose and vision, living the Maple Leaf Leadership Values, and delivering winning results. Accommodation is available upon request for applicants with disabilities in the recruitment and assessment process and when hired; please contact our Talent Attraction Team at firstname.lastname@example.org.